Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, some of you may know that I am a big time model 70 lover. I always say I am a shooter first, hunter second and half azzed collector of these rifles third. I wanted to discuss what I have left in my collection and give the reasons why.

First on the list is my Pre 64 model 70 fwt 270 win made in 1957. This is the best balanced rifle I own and it's probably one of the easiest shooting rifles for multiple field positions. I can see why JOC loved these 270's:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I forgot to mention this rifle is equipped with a zeiss 3-9x42 scope and stocked in a nice Mcmillan hunters compact. Damn near perfect for any deer, antelope, sheep hunt one may encounter. I also load 150gr. nosler partitions in this rifle and wouldn't be afraid to use it on an elk or moose hunt.

Next on the list is one of my favorite rifles, chambered for my favorite cartridges. 1956 30-06 fwt in its original wood stock. This rifle handles very well and is responsible for kicking more 30-06's out of the safe than any other rifle. It's a shooter too:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The 30-06 is an all around NA big game cartridge. Good enough for just about any critter that walks the lower 48. Good enough reason for me to own one...

Can't go without a good medium bore magnum and that's why I own a 338 win mag. One of the best elk cartridges made. Since I live in elk country, I can't see myself ever being without a good 338. I recently sold my mostly original Alaskan 338 win mag to EricM, but only because I built this one and decided I only need 1 good 338. This one is stocked in a Brown precision, is built off of a 1954 H&H magnum action, holds 5 cartridges, weighs 8 pounds all up, scoped with a 3-9x36 Swaro and is accurate as hell. Balance is excellent on this rifle and the Brown Precision stock mitigates recoil with it's excellent ergos and nice 1" thick pachmayr recoil pad. The 338 win magnum has always been one of my favorite cartridges and the way this one is built, makes it one of my favorite rifles:
[Linked Image]

Thoughts of maybe hunting Africa made me decide to put a 375 H&H together. I pulled the original stock off and sold it, put it in a dual crossbolt stock and then pulled that stock off and now it's in a coyote bomber swirly. I'm hoping it's stock swapping days are over. I'm really liking this rifle with the swirly. It's always been an excellent shooter:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001_zps92f2c928.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001_zps339b94ca.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/003_zps1641c929.jpg[/img]

One rifle worth mentioning is my classic sporter that has been cerakoted sniper grey. It is scoped with a Zeiss 3-9x42 and is extremely accurate. It's been my "go to" deer and elk rifle, but may find itself on the chopping block since it's not a pre 64 sick.
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0170_zpsb90f7bee.jpg[/img]

Here's some rifles/cartridges that just didn't make the cut:

1. 7mm rem mag
2. 300 WSM's
3. Push feed model 70's
4. FN BACO (made in Portugal) rifles...

Post some of your rifles/cartridges that have been part of your fine tuning process. Thanks guys...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't find any weak link in that line up. Classy herd of working iconic Model 70's there.

I need a pre 64 06 something on the order of your 56 fwt. I would also like to add a 300 h&h some day as well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA, where is the .300 WM? grin

southwind, LGS has a pretty nice 1950 low comb .300 H&H for $1700. It has had a pad fitted. Has a scope, I believe a Weaver K4. Whatever the scope is, it didn't get my attention . . . but the rifle sure did!

They also have a nice M64 Deluxe and a M64 standard. Nice tang sight on the Deluxe, a period correct Lyman receiver sight on the standard. I need none of them, wanted them all.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry buddy, the 300 did not make the cut... grin . I do know where an all original 300 H&H is for a decent deal though... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice, well-thought out collection BSA! You have everything covered for NA and Africa. Now you just need to book a trip to Africa! wink

I really like how the 375 is looking with the McSwirly.

My pre-64 collection is pretty similar:

1. '47 270 WCF (Roger Rule rifle)
2. '51 30-06 standard grade
3. '59 338 Win Mag Alaskan

I'm going to order some 210 gr and 225 gr TTSX for the 338.

Cheers,
Eric

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fun thread! smile

BSA that's a solid lineup.

I'm paired down compared to past years but my "pet"270 now looks just like BSA's...pre 64 FW in Compact Edge. There are two other FW 270's still in original wood stocks and one may get a Brown Precision in the near future.

Following those is a Len Brownell 7 Rem Mag on a pre 64 M70 action.

A second 7 Rem Mag is a work in process with a M70 Classic action,a Borden Rimrock stock and the factory barrel is about to be replaced with a #2 9 twist Brux. Think I will chamber it for 7mm Mashburn Super while the new tube is going on. smile

Next up is a Gene Simillion 7mm Mashburn Super on a M70 Classic and Echols Legend,Krieger tube.

If I can't get it done in North America with a 175 gr 7mm bullet at 3100 fps I will either stay home,or make the jump clear up to a 375 bore.So I have a pre 64 M70 375H&H that is going to Gene Simillion for a Legend.

I just had a trigger job done on a nice pre 64 30/06 FW that is shooting well with factory stuff. Have not run a hand load through it but know what to expect from it.It's my token 30 caliber rifle. grin

Wish I could find a reason for something else but really can't unless I think real hard. frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice looking stable you have there BSA. And they shoot as good as they look too.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great looking bunch! I usually sell of the more original ones myself!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
even though my days of chasing big critters all over the earth are for the most part behind me I still retain the guns. Who ever said you can't use a pre 64 375 H&H on deer hasn't tried it.

Here are a few of my favorite Pre 64's. All have been to the field for deer elk, antelope prarie dogs ec

I have all the fwt but my two favorites are a 270 and the 358
The 300 H&H and the 375 H&H make for a nice pair just in case Africa calls me back but both will make fine elk rifles. For my Michigan whitetails a std 257 Roberts or a 7x57 top the list but the new 300 Savage will get first dibbs his fall. The Hornet makes for a good 200 yard prarie dog or woodchuck gun.

My wish list includes a std 06, why don't own one is a mystery and a 35 Rem.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr GSP, In a few days I will take care of your 30-06 wish, I was trying to get a good gov't 06 but if you want a MC stock it may be a 30-06 Springfield, at any rate Im hooked on the transition guns after the target in sporter stock... Old age has me going from Target in sporter stock to std transition and if I can make 75 to 80 the fwt! LOL very best WinPoor

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
WP I also am a fan of the transition guns. I prefer the low comb but it's not mandatory.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice thread and rifles BSA.

These are just my pre 64's.

[Linked Image]

left to right:
1941 22hornet standard with lyman 48
1959 243 Standard with Burris FFII
1949 .270 standard with a stock I completed and Old Burris 4x.
1959 300 H&H ( it now wears a Burris Signature) ( needs a new pad and stock resto)
1959 338 Win mag with Burris C4. ( getting a new stock as we speak)
1950 375 H&H mag with Lyman 48.

I am very happy with mine and they will be passed down to my daughters when I leave this earth. About the only one I would add to this brace would be a 220 swift Varmint.

I have some classics as well and owned few more throughout the years.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rack!

My collecting days are over. So, besides a .30-30, my single pre-'64 FWT .30-06 will have to suffice as my all around rifle. smile

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love the 270 with the brown stock/red pad combo. Looks great. Does it have the Edge fill?

I've got a ton of Model 70's, by far my favorite rifles, unfortunately still no pre-64's. Really would like to get one, it's hard though to find a good one without seeing it in person and Gunbroker seems like a crapshoot.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There hasn't been very many honest pre 64 Win 70's on GunBroker in a longtime. They all have major issues but they say original??? Try gunsinternational for pre 64's that is a classified site not an auction. All of the Cabela's guns, including pre 64 70's are there.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I stay away from Gun Broker. I have recently bought 2 from Cabelas and I hate them but if your patient you can find something that's undervalued. They are either way over priced or underpriced. I have picked up some nice 70's at gun shows and from dealers like Steve Barnett, Perry County Firearms, Schumans etc.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately I have no pre-64's all mine are new haven made classics minus one pushfeed I got off BSA (sweet shooting pre USRACo made featherweight) and a BACO South Carolina made model 70. I like to pick up a nice pre64 featherweight in a 06 that wont break the bank acct.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STS45
I love the 270 with the brown stock/red pad combo. Looks great. Does it have the Edge fill?

I've got a ton of Model 70's, by far my favorite rifles, unfortunately still no pre-64's. Really would like to get one, it's hard though to find a good one without seeing it in person and Gunbroker seems like a crapshoot.

Thanks, the 270 fwt has a standard fill hunter's compact. I love how balanced it is with this stock. I lucked into this stock and bought it from a good guy here in the classifieds. Absolutely no regrets with that stock or rifle. Good luck with your search and like someone else said, keep an eye out for the ones on gunsinternational. Every once in a while you'll run across a very nice one there that is reasonably priced..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Nice thread and rifles BSA.

These are just my pre 64's.

[Linked Image]

left to right:
1941 22hornet standard with lyman 48
1959 243 Standard with Burris FFII
1949 .270 standard with a stock I completed and Old Burris 4x.
1959 300 H&H ( it now wears a Burris Signature) ( needs a new pad and stock resto)
1959 338 Win mag with Burris C4. ( getting a new stock as we speak)
1950 375 H&H mag with Lyman 48.

I am very happy with mine and they will be passed down to my daughters when I leave this earth. About the only one I would add to this brace would be a 220 swift Varmint.

I have some classics as well and owned few more throughout the years.

Those are beauties. A very, very well rounded collection buddy!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thank you very much.

The Alaskan is nearing completion. Here is a quick pic. Pillared, completely bedded from the rear tang to the recoil lug. Magazine completely bedded. Super grade front and rear swivels inletted and bedded. Re-used the original Winchester pad. Just letting the finish cure before checkering. Can't decide if I want to go full supergrade checkering or not.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
132 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.