Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
All I can say is I like it a lot.... Fit my hand good and shoots great... It is the first 1911 in 9mm I have ever owned and it makes me wonder why waited so long....

Anyone else own one

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had one of the government model size 9mm RO's a while back. It was fun to shoot and I enjoyed it. Something else came along that I just couldn't live without and I traded it.

I'd say the compact model would be just as much fun to shoot. Enjoy!
CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm seriously considering picking one of these 9mm RO's as well. I've read good reviews of it from gun authors I've come to trust in the gunzines, so that's a plus.

Virtually all of the 9mm 1911's I've seen/used to date were unreliable, particularly the Colt's. I've heard various explanations of why that has been the case, all of which seem reasonable at first, but when you break it down I think it's simply that the 1911 was designed to fire a big, fat, heavy bullet, so light and fast bullets don't have the necessary momentum to work the action.

Springfield reportedly has figured that problem out with its Range Officer 9mm. I'll buy one soon to see for myself.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering that the 1911 was originally designed around a 38 caliber round and then adapted to fire the 45 cal at the request of the Army, one in 9mm shouldn't be a problem if it's made correctly to begin with and with the correct mags.

The older Colt Commanders made in the 60's and early 70's didn't have any issues, but back then no one had much use for a 9mm 1911.

Back then, my light bullet loads in 9mm and 38 Super had more recoil and torqued the pistol more than hardball. Colt originally supplied the Gold Cup spring with the Gov model and it was too light.

I had lot's of fun and still never lost a case.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So far no issues with my new one... No jams, no FTF... shoots straight and is pleasant to shoot... I am not sure how it would compare to the same in .45 but I might find out soon.... smile However, I would imagine with how pleasant this one is to shoot the .45 would have to be harder thumping.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
By the way, when I had a 9mm RO, I bought some extra Wilson Combat magazines. I had no failures to feed from the Springfield factory mags, but the Wilson mags held 10 rounds rather than the 9 round factory mags.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
By the way, when I had a 9mm RO, I bought some extra Wilson Combat magazines. I had no failures to feed from the Springfield factory mags, but the Wilson mags held 10 rounds rather than the 9 round factory mags.

Good to know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.