Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9742508 04/07/15
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Is it available for sale in Canada?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bells too?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear [bleep] has bells in it and smells like pepper.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
May I ask the obvious? Why do you want to know?

If I knew the answer to the above question, I might suggest "Forget that idea!" laugh

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I know someone that wants to have it with them.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours well.

The intriguing thing about bear spray rules we found when we've camped stateside is that we can't bring ours with us from home, but we can buy the very same product as soon as we cross the medicine line....

Oh and no we can't take the US purchased bear spray back home either - but again we could buy the same stuff at the first Canadian Tire across the border.

No doubt it's in an effort to keep us all safe, one can of oleoresin at a time. wink

I'm sure it must be for the kids as well.

Anyway sir, in all seriousness it is semi controlled here in that they made me sign for it when I bought the last few cans - but I don't believe anyone looks at the logbook in the store.

As long as one isn't packing it into a night club or bar I can't see anyone getting into trouble with it.

Here's the quote right from the RCMP website on visitors carrying bear spray.

"Q. Is pepper spray allowed in Canada?

The Criminal Code of Canada and its related regulations prohibit "Mace" and similar products designed to injure, immobilize or incapacitate a person. Bear sprays and similarly devices clearly designed for protection from wild animals are allowed."

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone out there tonight sir. All the best to you folks this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, Dwayne.
Probably going to be most simple for them to buy spray once in Canada.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
They got spray locally, got through the border without a hitch and currently enjoying northern YT.

thanks again!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a feeling that the crossing guards would be more understanding of bear spray at the AK/YT border than the 49th parallel.

Like Dwayne said, you can buy it in Canada. You just need to show ID and sign a log book as it is semi-controlled.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I cross the 49th parallel a few times each year with bear spray with no problems- It has to be the big canisters designed for use against bears, not the little cans made for a purse or key chain.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You can take bear spray both ways across the border without trouble. I have done this many times with no issues. Always declare you have it at the crossing.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
10-4, all. Big can, bear on the label, declared, crossed into canuck-land without incident. Enjoying your fair country!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender, Royce and Oregon Coot;
Thanks all for the update on being able to cross the medicine line with bear spray now.

When we crossed a few years back we were asked both entering the US and re-entering Canada if we had any and as far as I was able to understand it was not allowed then.

If it is nowadays then that's a grand step towards a more common sense approach to the situation.

Thanks again to you all and the best to all of your respective families this summer.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne
Here is a method that might get you through customs quicker- It works for me
I stop a couple of miles before the border, roll up my shirt sleeves to reveal my 11 inch biceps, and put a fake tattoo of the Grim Reaper on my left arm where the Border Patrol can see it. I have some big sun glasses and I put those on. I scatter some empty 44 magnum ammo boxes throughout the truck, along with some empty Jack Daniels bottles. I take the muffler of the truck.
When the agent comes to the window, I blow a cloud of cigarette smoke in his face (this is the hardest part for me as I am not a smoker, but it important to play the role)-and tell him "Where I am going or what I've got in my vehicle is none of yer flipping business.".
Believe me, with this method, they won't even bother to ask you about bear spray. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fred;
laugh laugh laugh

Well sir I'm not entirely certain I could pull that off in a convincing enough manner! laugh

Honestly we've never had any problems going down across the medicine line and only one time were detained for more than a couple minutes by a pair of young Homeland Security officers.

Anyway Fred, I'm glad we've been treating you acceptably well enough when you're crossing. If you ever get up the 97 in summer remember I owe you some of the world's finest ice cream.

Thanks very much for the chuckle tonight and all the best to you folks this summer.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne
One of these days I am going to take you up on that. Not sure where we are headed this summer. We are staying in Montana until the fires get bad, then we will head north. We want to get back to Vancouver Island this summer because we really enjoyed that area a lot last year. I'd also like to get back up to Chilko Lake. That area from Williams Lake to Bella Coola is some beautiful country.
Hope you are enjoying your summer. It's 92 degrees F here today.

Fred

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Dwayne,

Last time I asked about the bear spray issue was last summer on the 395 crossing north of Kettle Falls. Woman border guard on the Canadian side said there was no issue with bear spray of any size container so long as it is ID'd as bear spray. Can't imagine what anyone would do with a little can of bear spray so that issue is probably moot.

Reason I asked was that a friend living on the border swore that, were I to declare the spray, black helicopters would descend on me and NATO troops would whisk me away to a special compound they are building for bear spray smugglers. Ask around - everyone up there knows about it.

I like Royce's approach - cops everywhere respect a man who stands his ground.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Oregon
By the way, if you go through Creston Customs in the next five years, wave to the guy shackled to the port potty- That's me-

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fred;
Good to hear you're still in travel mode. cool

We're hoping to do the Sunshine Coast this year as it's been on the agenda for years and we just never got around to it yet.

It was just under 100 here today - wherever the news takes the temperature it was 93.5, but the thermometer in the car surely said it was 36° C in the shade....

All the best to you folks again Fred and thanks again for the laugh sir.

Dwayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
555 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.