Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On a hunting bow, how much stabilizer is really needed to be effective. I see 12"+ on many bows, I'm not sure those are making it into too many treestands though.

Thoughts?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't use one anymore. I feel like I can shoot just as well without one.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Interesting...you're the 2nd guy I have heard say that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run an 8" front bar and 6" back bar. Went to 2 stabs 3 yrs ago. I won't shoot a bow without them. Hunt treestands and ground blinds. Never an issue

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

At 20 yards with a calm wind I can shoot just as well without one too. But add WIND and little distance and that changes in a hurry. The stabilizer really calms it down in the wind.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
I run an 8" front bar and 6" back bar. Went to 2 stabs 3 yrs ago. I won't shoot a bow without them. Hunt treestands and ground blinds. Never an issue

Never tried a back bar. Think I need to!

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith

At 20 yards with a calm wind I can shoot just as well without one too. But add WIND and little distance and that changes in a hurry. The stabilizer really calms it down in the wind.

So what length/brand do you run out the front?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
B Stinger Sport 10" with all three provided add on weights (1 oz each). Total weight is 7.45 oz for 10" and total weight is 6.85 oz for 6" so the physical weight difference between long and short is negligible. I haven't found 10" to be hindrance from a mobility standpoint but have found that I have less pin float with the longer.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For me, it depends on what length/weight it takes to balance the bow, and the limitations of the treestand.

Agreed, in a Summit Viper with the full rail, where you generally have to stand to shoot, a short stab is preferred.

In my Lone Wolf Hand Climber, there is no rail, and you could swing a door without issues.

I run between 3-4 and 10-12 inches depending on what the balance needs for the bow are. I tend to run a light stab if at all possible.

The Z-7 wears a X-Factor stab, and is very light. With the shorter ATA, it does help me a bit with "wobble".

[Linked Image]

The Obsession has a Limbsaver, but it's really just for a bit of vibration dampening, and anchoring the wrist sling. I could get the same results with a hex-head bolt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/09/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't really NEED a stabilizer, but it doesn't have a negative, other than weight. It does help vibration and I am all about "quite".

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not a bow hunter so take this for what it is. Bows have sure got ugly since they moved away from a recurve. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stabilizers are meant to do what their name implies...stabilize pin float to "keep you in the moment longer" so you can accurately deliver your arrow to the target. Folks that need them for "vibration" and "quiet" need to give their equipment a good going over. Today's bows should be whisper quiet and vibe free if set up correctly. As for brands of stabilizers, Dead Center Archery Products is the way to go. They are out of PA. You won't find better quality or service anywhere. That's why we sell them at our shop.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generally the longer the stab the less weight required. My setup I run 1oz on my 8" front bar and 4oz on 6" back bar. I absolutely hate a top heavy bow that wants to tip forward in my hand. The side bar eliminates that and the bow just sits there after the shot. Plus it's nice to shoot with a relaxed bow hand and my sight bubble automatically hits dead level without any input from my bow hand

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Absolute stabilizer perfection

Custom Strings/Tuning
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

This^^^

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
[Linked Image]
Absolute stabilizer perfection

When it comes to that, ill take a guin. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed Doc! I'd even rather hunt with my old .54 cal Hawken than hunt with a new "superbow" or a damn crossbow!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To each his own. I play for keeps. Precision is the name of my game. Still like my shots inside 30yds on game. But yeah I practice out to 70/80yds

Custom Strings/Tuning
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by eyeball

When it comes to that, ill take a guin. wink

For January Arizona rutting mule deer you wont. wink

Archery presents opportunities that gunpowder denies.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BTDT, but i wont hunt with a contraption like that. wink

It's bad enough having a bum elbow and having to shoot a compound rather than my old Wing bow.

However, my Drenaline is a deer, bear and elk grin killing machine. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What makes my bow a "contraption" vs yours?

Custom Strings/Tuning
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use an 8" B Stinger.
Honestly I am not sure it helps a lot, but it looks sexy and holds on my wrist sling.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball

This^^^

+1

-Ken

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Being that I just cannot make myself shoot very far anymore since the deer can move vs the slow speed of the arrow, I have not used one for years.

Especially on my recurves.

For pure accuracy yes, I do remember those years when I shot extremely well, out to longer distances and thought that anyone should be able to do the best and make shots at 50 yards with a bow very easily. And I have.

But I now know better and owe more to my deer personally, as such no need for a stabilizer.

When I did run hunting ones, fronts were the only ones, and appx 8-12 inches.. I had a couple of heavier shorter that I did not think did much or enough to be using.

I liked the twin v rear facing ones for target bows. But not hunting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot an 8" T-bar from Vendetta Archery. A total of four ounces at the end of that carbon bar balances and levels things out nicely. Plus I can set my bow down and the T stab holds it up perfectly without laying over on the side, no bow holder necessary. smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
I shoot an 8" T-bar from Vendetta Archery. A total of four ounces at the end of that carbon bar balances and levels things out nicely. Plus I can set my bow down and the T stab holds it up perfectly without laying over on the side, no bow holder necessary. smile

pretty cool...looks like a hammer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.