Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by mathman
OK...I guess I gotta do this for you Jericho...

[Linked Image]

Pretty fancy lipstick on that pig. grin

Dat was mean....

Couple more shots ....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle and animals Ingwe.

Do you still have that rifle?

Nope....sold it to a pard.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VonGruff
I have done a few and while they are not top flight customs are more than enough for me. This is my personal 303 and it will be a keeper. This was the first one I did where I made the grip cap and the forend tip out of buff horn and was rather pleased with how it finished up.
[Linked Image]

von gruff: a 5 shot mag would really make that a sleek little shooter!

Of course, if you are culling, the ten shotter sure comes in handy grin

I have SCOURED the earth for a five shot mag that would fit that NoI MKIII!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love Lee Enfield sporters. Great thread.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where can a guy get a decent one to build up? Wasn't some of them converted to 35-303 for rifles in Canada and the NW? POWDR

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK...I guess I gotta do this for you Jericho...

[Linked Image]

Nice white-tail!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by powdr
Where can a guy get a decent one to build up? Wasn't some of them converted to 35-303 for rifles in Canada and the NW? POWDR

Good luck with that. In my gun-smithing years I had maybe 2 dozen come into the shop before I started refusing to work on them.

The first thing to check is headspace. Only one of those rifles had proper head-space. This is adjusted by changing the bolt-heads, #1 to #5 IIRC. And it's damned hard to come by some of those. Took me 5 years on one, before I'd let it out of my shop. Fugger had a # 1, needed a #5....

It's a functional rifle and durable, and not something I would own because it is otherwise a cheap piece of crap (ask all the Germans it killed.... but I digress..... smile ), but if you go for it- make sure it has proper head spacing BEFORE purchase or it will be the major PITA of your gun-owning career.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Given I know very little about actual gunsmithing, I'm curious why you wouldn't just set the barrel back a turn, cut a deeper extractor groove, and run a reamer in after the headspace exceeded a #5? I can't imagine the bolt-heads were anything but a quick fix for wartime expediency. The barrels are still threaded like a normal action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJC58
Yes, nothing wrong with these rifles. Reminds of some things I've heard in life.

"Make do, do without;
Use it up, wear it out"

But there is always the opportunity to do it with a little style.

I've always liked that quote myself (although I don't always live by it!). But I heard it backwards from the quote you have:

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djp
Given I know very little about actual gunsmithing, I'm curious why you wouldn't just set the barrel back a turn, cut a deeper extractor groove, and run a reamer in after the headspace exceeded a #5? I can't imagine the bolt-heads were anything but a quick fix for wartime expediency. The barrels are still threaded like a normal action.

djp;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds your part of our province as still and sunny as it is here.

So to you or anyone who's interested in getting acceptable case life out of these old war horses, I'll share what's been our solution for SOP on all LE actions.

I start with virgin brass and open the neck up to .338" using a .338 Win Mag sizing die.

Then the case is run into a standard .303 British full length die - but just far enough to create a false shoulder on the case. One wants the bolt to just so close on the case and we still should be able to see the secondary shoulder we've created.

Load and fire with normal loads and just treat the cases like a rimless from then on and don't resize so the shoulder is moved back down ever.

We've had this method work on a few rifles now - one in particular that would wreck cases so bad with the initial firing that two reloads were all we were getting afterward. Now using the method described above we're at 5 and counting - and the cases look fine.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful information to you or someone out there shooting a Lee Enfield.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge You can not work up a load with the 150 SST she likes?

μολὼν λαβέ

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fotis: It LOVES the 150SST but I think Hornady stopped making it. It also shoots the regular 150 Hornadys well (about 1.5" which is really pretty good!) and it also shoots the 174 Woodleighs at 1" so I suppose I'm ok. I have about 300 150 SSTs left. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so you're only looking for the bullets?

μολὼν λαβέ

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
correct!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady® .30-Caliber, .308" Diameter Rifle Bullets
Item number: IK - 213177
BULLET TYPE:.30CAL .308 150GRSST

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fotis, I believe Jorge is looking for the HORNADY 303/7.7MM(.312) 150gr SST

Every place I have looked they seem to be out of stock.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Correct, DH, 312s. They are no longer being made, Woody did find some for me in New Zealand! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One day I would like to get some sort of Enfield and put it in a new fancy dress, something along the lines of what the poobah did.

I think that would be a hell of a neat project.

Glad to see you found some of the SSTs you were looking for Jorge. I'm not big on their performance, but one can't argue with their accuracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ah yes!

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.