Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I just picked up a 10 wt. rod for some of my fishing.. I usually buy Cortland fly line, but they have nothing above 9 wt.. I want a wt forward floating to start with, what is your pick???

Molon Labe
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Scientific Angler is your answer, most likely. Which model is dependent on what you are going to do with it. Salt Water? Tarpon? Salmon? Musky? Cold water / Cold air, Tropical Temperature?

Now if you are talking salmon Rio would also have a good floating line for that.

I think you will find S.A. has a line that is specific for each of the above species and more.

A little more information could help us help you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Rio lines.....

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks guys.. I did get a call in to Still Water Fly shop.. They gave me pretty good advice on the line I needed to match this old style rod.. Turns out Cortland did have it, just Cabela's did not..
I also learned fly lines have made major changes in the last years.. I was looking for a line for steelhead/salmon for the streams in western Mich.. Think I have the problem at least started to be solved... Again thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
cabelas lines are great their prestige premier stacks right up with any line out there. I fish lower end of erie for steelhead and am very impressed with there product. I think airflo is making it for them. rio is another very nice line but for about half the price i do like the cabelas.

Think i need a bigger gun
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to say if you can get over the sticker shock, RIO is making some of the best fly Lines in the world!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I have to say if you can get over the sticker shock, RIO is making some of the best fly Lines in the world!

Concur. I don't have to buy lines that often and when I do anymore it's almost always Rio.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm running a 10wt for salmon on the big Fraser River and some smaller tributary rivers. FWIW I gave up on fly lines and cobbled up my own weight forward sinking tip out of lead core trolling line followed by a shooting line and then lots of backing.

That lead core gets down quickly in swift current, essential for the waters I fish. Miserable to cast, as are all sinking lines IMO. For the Zen of flyfishing I go to 6wt floating line for trout.

To get the right amount of lead core sinking tip, run lead core through the guides and work some out as you cast on the lawn. When the line load feels right, lay the whole mess down and cut the lead core line off at the tip of the rod.

Added: You have to look closely to see it but the photo below shows lead core tip (purple) tied to a green shooting line which is an old fly line. Heavier outfit than needed for sockeye but the same cast may tie into a big king.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/12/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.