24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by country_20boy
I'll second what Diogenes says. There are a lot of great custom call makers out there and one day, you'll likely own several if you keep hunting turkeys (You will. It's an addiction like none other.)

But for a beginner, go buy a $20 Primos pot call and a couple of decent mouth calls for $5-8 each. Hooks, Headcrusher, Woodhaven, Preston Pittman, just to name a few. If you're not hunting high pressured, public land birds, you can kill a lot of turkeys with nothing more. Calling skills are only about 10% of successful turkey hunting. I have an uncle that has been hunting turkeys successfully for 40 years, and he owns one call, a Lynch's box call.

Yeah. I know a lot of old timers (and I agree) that swear it's more about woodsman ship, scouting, and knowing your property more than anything else, but the call manufacturers can't sell common sense can they? Magazine writers have to have something to talk about, camo manufacturers have to have they latest greatest whiz bang patterns, and call makers need to tell you all about the new 6 reed triple raspy turkey kryptonite mouth call.

The mountains are calling, and I must go -John Muir
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've killed many turkey without uttering a peep
Scouting is the number 1 call in my arsenal

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
D
If you buy a mouth call, and have trouble with it, don't give up on mouth calls; try another, and it may fit you better. Also, if you are having trouble with gagging, or trapping air, consider trimming the tape, ever so slightly at a time, to see if that helps. Lots of good calls out there, like folks are saying; part of the fun is getting a new call and learning how to use it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Lynch box call and a assortment of slate, synthetic & glass pot calls made by a guy here in Missouri. I use a mouth call only when up close and my hands are holding the shotgun. I can yelp and do a basic kee kee run with a mouth call but that's it. I am so impressed with the ability of so many guys that can use a mouth call better than they can use a cell phone. I can't, so I limit my mistakes. I can cut, purr, yelp, or anything else with a slate or box call and then once I have them getting close I just shut up and wait with my shotgun. If I need them to pop up that head or move just a bit then I use the mouth call, otherwise I stay silent and wait for the shot. It's what works for me and I am a call challenged guy. Better to under call than over call every time.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't use a mouth call at all. Wasn't it Ben Lee who said, if you want to win a contest use a mouth call but if you want to kill a bird use a friction call and he was the best there ever was.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.