Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6.3#
.243 Win., .308 Win., .270 Win., 7x64, .30-06 Spr.
20" tube

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weatherby MK V ULW 6 lug 5 3/4 lbs

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the feel of a Montana in 308 or 7mm-08. And I will own one before I get too old to enjoy shooting and hunting. Since I have a great shooting 7mm-08, mine will probably be a 308. As is obvious, my recommendation is the Kimber. There is just nothing like it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well I have been talking myself into a Montana for a long time but I ain't no one to marry a bride without given her a few passes so what do you do. I have never seen felt or foundeled one in person. But that would be either a 1k well spent or not so good. What's a guy to do?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy a Montana.

Love my little 243 MT.

I've never handled an 84L but plan on ordering one here in the next month or so.
Like you I'm going with a 6x Leupold, honestly can't think of a better hunting rifle setup.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I personally would go with a Ruger GSR with the composite stock, it has an adjustable length of pull, backup iron sights, forward or regular scope mounting positions, muzzle break, threaded barrel for accessories, etc. Then I'd use the rest of the money to buy a nice scope, a timney trigger, some 3 round mags and starting hunting that thing asap.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd avoid the Montana like a rat dipped in aids.
That is unless you knve the dirty dope on a gunsmith who you can get to work cheap or you are retired and have multiple hours to spend trimming screws, bedding, crowning...blah blah blah...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
That is unless you knve the dirty dope on a gunsmith who you can get to work cheap or you are retired and have multiple hours to spend trimming screws, bedding, crowning...blah blah blah...

Laffin' grin Everyone likes a challenge now and then.

I took a new 7/08 to the range yesterday.Only had factory 140 Fusions(no one had any brass so have to make some). Mounted a scope and started wanging away.

Things started well;scope tracked to rough zero and the rifle followed. Three groups showed the rifle strung horizontally off firm sand bags so I folded a gun sock for a softer front rest. That dropped POI about an inch and two shots were in about 1/2".....then it started stringing vertical. Heat? I let it cool. Didn't matter.

I pulled it apart. Have to say I was a bit impressed...it really looked lovely down there. Bedding "looked" sharp, machine work on the metal looked very nice;trigger is great and function perfect so far and very crisp with snappy feeding,firing pin indentation was spot on. Can't recall a nicer synthetic stock on a factory rig.Barrel perfectly floated.

But bedding seemed "loose" as the rifle just fell out of the stock;without screws I could detect no rocking and the action seemed to sit flat with no tension.I began to wonder if the front screw was bottoming out before the action was tight in the stock...it was behaving like something like that was going on.

You could see where the mag box had scraped paint in the bottom of the stock.

I tried to get to 300 yards but it was occupied so will get back after it tomorrow.I'm going to start the tweaks. 20 rounds isn't even a warm up,and too soon to quit on it.It's easy to shoot, comfy,and handles like a light grouse gun. I think the things are so light and rigid that any little inconsistency shows up.But other Montanas have shot lights out for me so I know the thing will shoot after some work.

I ain't skeered..... smile

There were a bunch of Forbes rifles on sale where I bought this Kimber....they seem to not be moving off the shelves as the same ones have been there for months.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TomNula300WM
I am looking at getting another light rifle, wondering what you all would get. I do not have the $ to get another custom. I can go about $1500 for rifle, and will put a 6 power Leupold on it. I want it stainless, synthetic in 7-08 or 308. So what say you.

The Kimber MT 308 with a Leupold 6x36 and dots is the no-brainer-of-the-year-award-winner.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have both Kimber MTs and Tikkas. I enjoy carrying the KMTs but when it comes to shooting my Tikka Super Lites win.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LMFAO!!

I've got to use that one.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm surprised - no one has mentioned or suggested the Howa Alpine mountain rifle.

http://www.legacysports.com/alpine-mountain-rifle

5.7 pounds, Banser high tech fiberglass stock, weather resistant cerakote finish, and the ability to add detachable box magazine.

I held one at Sportsman's in Albuquerque and it felt like a feather.

I own several Forbes and also like that option...but the Howa is on my list as soon as I find one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Also the price was less than $1100 on the Howa. Pretty good value equation for a gun that you won't have to tinker much with. Every Howa I've owned and shot has been crazy accurate and one of the best factory triggers I've squeezed.

Nothing wrong with Tikka Superlight T3, Forbes or the Montana...but Howa Alpine is really looking good.

Tikka would need a stock upgrade IMHO, Montana's can be good, great or require some work. Forbes seem to have a divided following- my 2 are really good shooters (no issues...am I just lucky?)

For the money I'd say Howa, and pass the savings onto your scope purchase.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi, Tom.
Consider a Win M70 FW in 257 Roberts or 7-08/308.

These rifles are reasonable in price, and the ones I have are absolutely spectacularly accurate.

They are a bit heavier than some, but I carried the M70 in preference to a fine Kimber because of superb accuracy. Inspect your choice carefully before taking it, regardless of brand. The QA for everybody is pretty slim.

Good luck and happy shopping!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Dang. Are you overly meticulous or just meticulously slow?

It's obvious that you are overly biased, probably more from what you've read online than from what you've actually experienced in real life.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Somebody mentioned it earlier, but "light weight" needs to be defined. Is that 7lbs scoped, 6.5 scoped, 6 scoped, etc...

The Montana and Forbes are the obvious true off the shelf lightweights if that is what you want. There are a lot of differences between the two so weigh out what matters/doesn't matter to you on that. The big ones that stick out to me are:

Montana: controlled round feed, more open grip, no cheekpiece, slightly lighter barrel, slightly heavier stock, bedded to a slave action, barrel free floated

Forbes: push feed, more closed grip, cheekpiece, slightly heavier barrel, slightly lighter stock, bedded to the specific action, full length bedded, 3" mag box

I like them both. Needs to be realized from the start that any of them can have problems, they are off the shelf rifles not customs. I've no problem tweaking little things. Got lots of great options...pick what matters most to you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The thing i didn't really like about the Kimber is the stock ergos. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned one, but it didn't feel right when shouldered.

Ditto on the stock ergos. I fondled a Montana one time and that's what struck me. Must be the giraffe neck syndrome. I need lots of drop to the heel of the stock and a MC comb for proper fit. Mickey Hunter patterns work for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The thing i didn't really like about the Kimber is the stock ergos. Maybe I would get used to it if I owned one, but it didn't feel right when shouldered.

Ditto on the stock ergos. I fondled a Montana one time and that's what struck me. Must be the giraffe neck syndrome. I need lots of drop to the heel of the stock and a MC comb for proper fit. Mickey Hunter patterns work for me.

The New Mcmillan Hunter aka Sako Hunter with the monte carlo cheek piece or the Hunter's EDGE aka Mcmillan Compact?

The answer the OP's question, get the Kimber Montana in any caliber you like. There is nothing else out there like it and you won't be disappointed. Search this site for Shortactionsmokers Montana Tinkering Thread. A few quick fixes if necessary will be well worth the effort. I have a Montana in 223 and it is a great little rifle.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BurninDupont
The New Mcmillan Hunter aka Sako Hunter with the monte carlo cheek piece or the Hunter's EDGE aka Mcmillan Compact

Actually, neither. I've got the Win New Hunter pattern, which is based on the Sako Hunter pattern. Couldn't tell you the differences. Maybe it's the castoff and cant that make it work. I'll be picking up the new Whelen build after work today. smile

Visualizations:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sako Carbonlight

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Sako Carbonlight

$1,500 only buys the stock.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.