Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Backroads:

I took 4 of them out (2 mine and 2 other's) and I could not break 1.5" 2".

NEVER seen a Tikka NOT shoot. Look on here and see how many had trouble with the Kimbers and how many fixes are recommended.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I own both (Tikkas and Kimbers). The Tikkas shoot, and so do the Kimbers with minor work. When all is said and done, I prefer the Kimbers.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think it's a coincidence that when you get into rifles as light as the MT that larger samplings of them "don't shoot."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the regular tikka t3 is lite enough for most anyone and doesn't need upgrading at all . even the factory rings are fine. i'd upgrade the soft screws that come with the factory rings. black hardened screws look a 100% better then the zinc coated ones.if you change rings and go with a base and rings you are just adding weight.

Tikka T3 lite felt pretty good to me when I picked one up at the Sportsmans Warehouse store UNTIL I picked up the Superlite and I bought the Superlite.
Just a little more for it (did some negotiating with cash in hand)
the Superlight is about 6 ounces lighter than the Lite.
Works great for me as it is light but not so light that I have any problem steadying the rifle.
I haven,t done a thing to it except to reduce the trigger pull to 1.5 pounds.
I dont find the recoil bad at all with the stock pad and using the factory rings(factory screws as well) with no problems as of yet. I torqued the ring tops to 20 inch pounds and the bases to 25 inch pounds .
Torqued the front and rear stock screws to 35 inch pounds.
Used a dab of Blue loctite on the stock screws but not the scope rings as aluminum is self binding.
I also Lightly greased the aluminum lug and recess on the bottom of the barrel and the entire bottom of the action to prevent possible Galvanic reaction between the steel and aluminum parts. And also to prevent rust .
So far have only tried Federal Fusion 130 grain ammo in it.
.75 3 shot groups with it. Going to try the Hornady Whitetail Interloks 130 grain and see what it does with them.
So far very pleased with the rifle.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
JG,

What did that Nosler set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Travis

Bought it off gun broker for $1300.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I don't think it's a coincidence that when you get into rifles as light as the MT that larger samplings of them "don't shoot."

Travis

Bingo... (But it's easier on the ego to blame the equipment.) grin

Last edited by APredator; 04/15/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
JG,

Travis

There you go! A no brainer!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
JG,

Travis

That seems to be about as cheap as I can find them but I have never found one in an actual store.

Thanks.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
JG,

Travis

There you go! A no brainer!

NICE rifle no doubt
BUT
6 pounds 12 ounces Bare + at least another 15 ounces for scope and rings + 2 and a half ounces or so for 3 cartridges and we now Have a total of at least 7 pounds 13 ounces.

Not a heavyweight by any means but My Tikka Superlight only goes 6 pounds 13 and a half ounces WITH scope and 3 rounds of ammo.

I doubt that it will shoot any better than A Tikka T3 from my limited experience with mine and other Tikka owners input
and can almost guarantee the trigger is no better.

Kimber Montana is about 5 pounds 2 ounces bare.
Add about 17 ounces for scope rings and ammo for about
6 pounds 3 ounces loaded.

Although the Nosler is indeed a very fine looking rifle and not really that heavy it doesn,t come close to the weight of either the Tikka Superlight or Kimber Montana .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have T3's too bc. I have no use for super lightweight rifles personally.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
jc I do understand that,and personally I wouldn,t want any lighter than the T3 Superlight But A lot of guys want a superlight rifle .

I was mainly addressing the OP who posted he is interested in a Stainless light Rifle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I agree with the guy from Arkansas but didn't mention it because the OP didn't really define lightweight.

But a Tikka and a Nosler ain't a Kimber Montana. They're not comparable.

Travis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Agree the 84M in 7mm-08 or 308(which is what the OP wants is much lighter than the Tikka Superlight ,by about 10 or 11 ounces.

Tikka Superlight more compares with the Montana 84L(only 2 ounces or so difference )with both being a 270 Winchester.

Lightest possible looks like the Kimber 84M or Adirondack or Ascent.

Whew they are really proud of the Ascent and the Adirondack !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to me going to light in weight would like shooting a magnum.lighter gun the more felt recoil. i prefer the tikka t3 because it a full size gun and lightweight.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
A couple of the new Steyr's that were announced last May look like good lightweight options. The trouble is locating one for purchase. The lightweight versions of the "CL II" and "SM12" SX's weigh 6.3 lbs. and have a fluted barrel and aluminum bedding system. The walnut models are 6.4lbs. Could be interesting options if you ever can find one for sale.

Here is the model I'm describing...

[Linked Image]

ringworm, where did you find yours?
Originally Posted by ringworm

[Linked Image]
6.3#, .243 Win., .308 Win., .270 Win., 7x64, .30-06 Spr.,20" tube

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
But not stainless AND lightweight Per the OP original Post.
Although the OP didn,t really specify a weight He seemed to like the weights of the Kimber Montana.
I see that they offer a Stainless version but I couldn,t find the weights for it.
The blue is about 6 pounds 5 ounces,adding at least 17 ounces for scope ,rings and 3 rounds of ammo comes up with at least 7 pounds 6 ounces and I bet the stainless adds at least 2 to 3 ounces for a weight of 7 pounds 8 ounces.

Still not as light as even the Tikka Superlight much less the EXTREMELY light Kimber Montana .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'd avoid the Montana like a rat dipped in aids.
That is unless you knve the dirty dope on a gunsmith who you can get to work cheap or you are retired and have multiple hours to spend trimming screws, bedding, crowning...blah blah blah...

I agree. Best way to bang your head on the wall with frustration! LOL

Expensive POS's! For that price they should be accurate of the box period!

Out of the box with no adjustments:

[Linked Image]

This was the first time out. I used to be a hater, too but it now appears that Kimber has been listening since the first Montana I had.

With load development and skim bedding, the rifle routinely shoots 1/2 moa. Of the 2 Tikkas I own, both shoot as well, one shoots slightly better. However, the Montucky feels better at the end of a 5 mile hike.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Powder_Burn
A couple of the new Steyr's that were announced last May look like good lightweight options. The trouble is locating one for purchase. The lightweight versions of the "CL II" and "SM12" SX's weigh 6.3 lbs. and have a fluted barrel and aluminum bedding system. The walnut models are 6.4lbs. Could be interesting options if you ever can find one for sale.

Here is the model I'm describing...

[Linked Image]

They must cater to the giraffe/humanoid/Nazi-sympathizer market.

Clark

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My choice a few years ago was the Kimber Montana. It shot as good as I wanted right out of the box…once I learned that you have to hold on to it when you shoot it. It has always shot into an inch, with some a little under and some a little over. Most of that variation is probably my lack of ability and not the rifle.

I changed a few things to make the rifle suit me a little more. I cut the barrel back to 20 in and built up the forearm and grip areas with epoxy putty to give the stock a little more round feeling. The stainless steel would almost glow like a neon light at dusk so the whole rifle got a paint job.

The rifle came out weight wise about where it started out. Ready to go, but not loaded, it weighs 6.25 lbs on the scales I used. They might be a little off, but I like the numbers I get with them and I'm sticking with it.

If I was in the market for a light weight rifle, I'd go with the Kimber Montana all over again and it would end up looking a lot like the one below.

[Linked Image]

Harry
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
got a Cooper 54 260 several years back and been extremely happy with it: weight, balance, trigger, accuracy. same goes for close friend who also got one in 7mm08

Yesu ai zhongguo
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.