-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 49" on the wall ....28 lbs a days boat ride from my house ...btw if we don't catch at least a dozen over 40" = a failed trip ! lol I always liked this photo (notmine)> [Linked Image] and this one I took, as jaws was coming at me !!! > [Linked Image]

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a hellofva fish ET! Biggest one I've caught on the bayou I fished as a kid was about 14 lbs. Back in my younger adult days I did a lot of scuba diving on the inland lakes around here and would always notice some big northerns "shadowing" us, the big ones made ya a little nervous but never did have a problem.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
story time ....we were fishing late 11pm or so sun was low sky bright red ...in a back eddies/side sough , a little black sand beach at our feet 'knonking the pike out with every cast! all a sudden "V'ees are coming right at us ! little 6" "white fish" are jumping out of the water to get away from the "mad pike/pikes from hell" > a 5/6" "white fish" lands a good 18" out of the water and on my sand bar !! a couple feet away ....BOOM out of the water comes a pike ...like a spear grabs the litte fish ,then he wiggles himself back into the river-like a orca grabbing seals off a beach shocked shocked ....cool it was!!! ,my then 11 son still remembers that one ,with this take-away > u are unsafe, even out of water!!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I have a 49" on the wall ....28 lbs a days boat ride from my house ...btw if we don't catch at least a dozen over 40" = a failed trip ! lol I always liked this photo (notmine)> [Linked Image]

That looks too freakin' big to be a pike... gotta be a muskie!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Speaking of pike stories... the day I caught my biggest (23 lbs) I was fishing with my friend Tom and his two sons at Thunder Lake, west of Barrhead, AB. We were fishing the inlet cove during the walleye spawning run, and the big pike were just off the shallow drop-off gorging on walleye. We weren't catching many, then Tom's 12-year-old son hooked and landed a 24-pounder. On his very next cast he hooked and landed a 26-pounder, and no sooner had he landed that one than I hooked my 23-pounder from the same spot.

The real big ones in spring don't fight much, more like pulling in a heavy snag/waterlogged branch. They're always females, as well.

My favorite size pike for eating/smoking is a male fish in the 3-5 pound range. Big enough for nice fillets, but you're not doing any harm to the big spawning henfish.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone remember Bill Tenney and his world-wide quest for big pike? Used to be some good accounts in In-Fisherman.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I have a 49" on the wall ....28 lbs a days boat ride from my house ...btw if we don't catch at least a dozen over 40" = a failed trip ! lol I always liked this photo (notmine)> [Linked Image]

its a european pike, they get way way way bigger over there

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I caught an 18 pounder last July on a fly out trip with my wife. Didn't really want to kill the big fella but F&G has a kill order out on them so into the fishbox it went. We cleaned around 25 smaller fish that evening, between 20"-26" and the big one was noticably better table fare. The filets had a much whiter hue to them and were almost indistinguishable from walleye or saugeye once cooked. The smaller ones were good too but had more of a yellow coloration to the meat and a more fishy taste.

I think my favorite part of cleaning the slimy rascals is looking at stomach contents. They almost always have some interesting critter in their gut whether it's trout, salmon, sticklebacks, or other Northerns. One lake I ice fish at will have them almost exclusively full of little freshwater shrimp.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The chain pickerel or what we call Jackfish are small enough that if you gash them the bones will fry out. I'm happy to catch them small like that. I would think that very many of those northerns in a lake would be rough on the bass and pan fish…

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW - some darn nice pike in this thread.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Wife caught this one a couple summers ago. Biggest she's ever caught by far, and she was pretty excited. Didn't have a scale so don't know what it weighed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's why god made the water cold. Big pike like big baits and cold water makes "things" shrink.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here's my biggest. Caught on a BooYah 3/8oz spinnerbait. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
caught one about that size out at Lake Minchumina (sp?)

you can go swimming there Jim, but don't go skinny dipping for love nor money!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Nah.......If you fish the lakes and sloughs of the various flats along the Yukon River, you routinely catch them that size. If we went sportfishing out on Kaiyuh Flats, 20 pounders got tossed back.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've been on a couple of lakes in Western Ontario up way north of Kenora that are spectacular in early summer. One is non-stop Walleye (and big ones) with some nice Pike spots here and there for diversion. The other is wall to wall Pike (very big) and I don't think I've ever caught any other type of fish in that lake.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 222ND, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.