Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just not that worried about my firearms being able to find their way in the wild.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Might be alright for the 99s with the old recoil pads on them!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that just fuggin ridiculous! I've never been lost in the woods. Maybe confused for a day or two, but never lost wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/12/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worry about the current crop of "outdoorsmen."

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Gives me an image of a 20-something Gomer decked out all "tactical" marching right off a cliff with his nose buried in his GPS gunstock.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As a long-time hunter and General Aviation private, instrument-rated, acrobatically-certified pilot, I contend that I've NEVER been "lost" !~!~!

But, naturally, there have been times in the woods & in the air when I was "temporarily disoriented". grin

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Now that just fuggin ridiculous! I've never been lost in the woods. Maybe confused for a day or two, but never lost wink

EXACTLY!! and real men don't ask for directions! laugh

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Heck, I've been lost since around 1987.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who are you people and what are you doing in my room?

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I found a glow in the dark wristwatch type compass when I was hunting a few years ago. I often wondered if the guy had a bad time getting back to the road. You can laugh all you want, but I carry two. One for immediate use and one in the pack. Nothing like almost dark, temperature headed for the single digits, and you get to the top of the hill where you can see the dirt road and it is not there.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 04/13/15.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, If I'm headed into unfamiliar country I take a topo map and compass in my backpack. If I weren't a Luddite I would have a GPS instead.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Iv got a Treeman Knife with a big compass, in the butt end of the stag handle, that has gotten me out of the woods a few times!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take a topo map and compass in my backpack. If I weren't a Luddite I would have a GPS instead.

Way back in the day when I was still running tank platoons toward the end of my career GPS happened. I freely admit that GPS is a good thing but what happens if it's not there anymore? As a teaching point I would regularly take the batteries out of my LT's GPS so as to teach him how to read a fricking map. wink grin If you can't do old school stuff in a new school environment if the net goes down your f--ked.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
On the other hand George, if say a nuclear event sufficient to knock out the satellites/internet/electronic devices/etc. were to happen, I for one would probably want to stay lost out in the middle of nowhere.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good thing people mentioned maps. Another point that makes people laugh at me is I tell them a compass does you no good if you don't know where you are. Sounds stupid, but think about it.

* Look at some reviews on the GPS units that Cabela's sells. It does not inspire confidence.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the other hand George, if say a nuclear event sufficient to knock out the satellites/internet/electronic devices/etc. were to happen, I for one would probably want to stay lost out in the middle of nowhere.

That's why I'm trying to get there (the middle of nowhere.) Any nuclear event, no matter how large or how small, will knock out most anything that has to do with electricity within it's burst radius and perhaps even further. Only two nukes were ever actually dropped and they weren't studying how they affected electronics at the time. Given the above ground and underground tests post that it seems that nukes reek havoc on anything electronic. Thus, you're back to the 19th century and need to have 19th century skills. Folks were reading maps and using compass's back then and most of them didn't get lost. grin Those that did were called "explorers" when they eventually returned to civilization. grin Oh, and by the way, nukes are survivable. Witness Hiroshima and Nagasaki. wink Both nuclear strike sites are thriving these days.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

578 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.