Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Size wise? The K-T PF9 is a bit smaller and lighter than the micro Kahrs.

I don't think so. Check out this link. The Kahr is noticeably smaller but does weigh about 1.3 ounces more.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 04/14/15. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I don't own any of these, they both hold an interest for me in the 9mm caliber for a truer pocket rocket. Ruger LC9S Pro and the Sig 938 with an eye on a Glock 43.

When I start to think of pocket rockets my thoughts are more on the .380 caliber and I use a KelTec P3AT with Corban ammo. It's not my EDC but I will sometimes use it as such when going on a walk. I refer to it as my dog shooter.

For EDC I use IWB holsters and a Glock 27 and a Glock 30.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned both the Kel Tec PF9 and the Kahr PM9. I sold the Kel Tec and still carry the Kahr.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It would be tough for me to leave the house with a KelTec as my only firearm for self defense.

I've owned the grand sum total of one Kahr, and it, not for long, but between these two offerings, I'd go with the Mooney gun.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kahr CM9, vs. PM9. The cheaper model has actually proven to be totally reliable for me. The pricier model, not so much. YMMV.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are 72 of the new model Glock 43's listed on GunBroker right now. Prices are ridiculous!

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Glock+43

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been window shopping for a pocket 9 for a little while now, and had basically given up and decided to stick with my S&W 642. Ran across a good deal on a used Sig 290RS the other day and wound up buying it, seems to be the best compromise among the ones I'd been looking at. Just wish it was 5 oz. lighter.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Size wise? The K-T PF9 is a bit smaller and lighter than the micro Kahrs.

I don't think so. Check out this link. The Kahr is noticeably smaller but does weigh about 1.3 ounces more.

So it would seem. I was going by memory having handled and fired both guns in the same range session. The PF9 is slimmer though, for sure.

Anyway - The PF9 works. Surely not for as long as any Kahr though (even K-T tacitly admits that), and it's harder to shoot well. The Kahr is clearly the better of the two.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I carry a PM9 in my pocket, I am not a big guy and it goes into front pants pockets with a cheap holster no problem.

I have had a Keltec, Keltec is an old Krygzstanian word synonymous with "inadequate pot metal POS", but then some do relish polishing a turd. The Kahr PM9 has never failed to fire in the 5 years I owned it, Slip2000 EWL seems to make AR15's, 1911's, and PM9's run flawlessly but again not the Keltec's. Many will run a well fit, well made gun without a drop of oil and bitch because it jams. If you get a Glock I think even in a pocket holster fishing it out in a hurry the odds of AD would be greater with the short trigger pull. Same with any single action exposed hammer cocked and locked in your pocket, asking for getting it snagged or an AD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I carry a PM9 in my pocket, I am not a big guy and it goes into front pants pockets with a cheap holster no problem.

I have had a Keltec, Keltec is an old Krygzstanian word synonymous with "inadequate pot metal POS", but then some do relish polishing a turd. The Kahr PM9 has never failed to fire in the 5 years I owned it, Slip2000 EWL seems to make AR15's, 1911's, and PM9's run flawlessly but again not the Keltec's. Many will run a well fit, well made gun without a drop of oil and bitch because it jams. If you get a Glock I think even in a pocket holster fishing it out in a hurry the odds of AD would be greater with the short trigger pull. Same with any single action exposed hammer cocked and locked in your pocket, asking for getting it snagged or an AD.

(sigh)
Have you ever even held a piece of pot metal? You don't seem to know what that is - or you never held a K-T gun.

I know it's popular to trash K-T on this site, but you might at least keep it real. I am a fan of the Kahr guns. (at one time, it was popular to trash them too) I agree that there's little comparison. The PF9 isn't really accurate, isn't built to last several lifetimes (maybe not even one, if it gets shot a lot - but no one does that), isn't tightly fitted, doesn't have the best trigger (but also not the worst), and certainly isn't much to look at. But it does shoot reliably and hits the target at distances it is intended for - and it is priced accordingly.

For some people it makes sense, at least some of the time. It's not useless pot-metal junk, and you do no one favors by supporting that bit of misinformation.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes I know pot metal zinc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Yes I know pot metal zinc.

Guess there's my answer.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I own two pocket pistols.

A S&W 340PD which I care in a leather pocket holder. Easy to carry. Difficult to shoot.

A SIG P938 9mm carried in a SIG plastic pocket. Accurate and the recoil is no worse than shooting a M1911 .45ACP. I choose to carry it without a round in the chamber. Although I could do that with the frame safety engaged.

YMMV, good luck!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
carry what you want, my life means more to me than an extra couple hundred for a decent pistol.

Pot metal—also known as monkey metal, white metal, or die-cast zinc—is a colloquial term that refers to alloys of low-melting point metals that manufacturers use to make fast, inexpensive castings. The term "pot metal" came about due to the practice at automobile factories in the early 20th century of gathering up non-ferrous metal scraps from the manufacturing processes and melting them in one pot to form into cast products. A small amount of iron usually made it into the castings, but too much iron raised

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

As far as the Kimber Solo goes, I've considered purchasing one many times. But I've yet to find someone who actually owns a Solo, that has anything good to say about them.

I have a Solo and it runs fine. It's functioned perfectly for me but I've always used hot self defense ammo in it. I like it a lot and carry it often. The Solo is smaller than the Glock 43 but the Glock will likely handle a variety of ammo better. I compared these two guns at my LGS this morning. I liked the 43 but left with my Solo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I mostly carry a PM9, MK9, and/or a S&W 642.
Not to say I've not stuffed an M9 inside my belt in my back when I'm inspecting an empty house in the 'hood, or carried a .45 cocked and locked.
Trying real hard to be more socially conscious these days.

Hell, there's usually not an AK in the back seat these days. *Usually*.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/18/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,522
Posts18,452,750
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.