24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone here eat groundhogs? I tried a couple years ago and what I remember most was that skinning one seemed about as easy as skinning your average steel-belted radial. I seem to recall that the meat was somewhat like dark-meat chicken.

I once read an outdoor newspaper column by, I believe, Gerald Almy, in which he stated that groundhog liver was wonderful eating. Not long after that, I walked into a barbershop where the barber was describing how he killed chucks just for the liver. I asked him how he cooked them and he said, "COOK 'EM? I use them for catfish bait!"

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The young ones are pretty good eating, kind of like beef in flavor sort of between beef and squirrel (which kind of makes sense when you think about it). The old ones are just tough as shoe leather and your tire comparison is about right.

They do make good catfish bait.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A former in-law was running a ranch in Oregon back in the early 90's. They hired a nice Laotian family to help out on the ranch and learn the cattle business.

A couple months after they were hired, the husband asked for a .22 to control the "squirrels" around the family's home. My in-law gave him a .22 LR, and said have at it...thinking he was going after the ground squirrels in the cow pastures where he worked.

A couple more months pass, and the Laotian family invites the in-laws, ranch staff, and all to their home for a traditional Laotian meal as a "thank you" for the home, the welcome, and helping get on their feet.

One of the main dishes is a egg roll type with rolls about the size of small burritos. After several Americans had tried the rolls, the meat in them was still unidentified by several diverse members present. My in-law finally queried the husband on the meat, and how he had obtained so much of it for the meal.

Through broken English, the husband very sincerely thanked the in-laws for the ability to shoot the "large squirrels" in the rock piles by the river, and to provide the meat for everyone to enjoy...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried them once when i was young and i didn't like them , just to greasy when baked

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Be sure to remove the glands under the forelegs, otherwise they will be gamy. My neighbor made BBQ out of them.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 04/15/15.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ate some BBQ'd groundhog once. Only once. Even the BBQ sauce was tough.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here I go, Is a woodchuck a rockchuck?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kawi,
What up Dog?
You've been missed.
Glad to see you post.
Take care.
Slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by kawi

No, but very close cousins in the same family of marmots.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kawi

one lives under the ground and the other under a rock , what more can you say?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
As was said before, young woodchucks make for good eating. And if you like liver, woodchuck is the best there is. Better than beef, calf, pork or deer liver.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
At home on the farm we considered them vermin as they ate our freshly sprouted soybeans. We killed them with anything we could and a couple got terminated with a shovel. Dad wouldn't let me have a .22 and the 410 usually wasn't handy, hence the shovel.

Anyway, my wife is from KY and her mother fried up some young woodchucks, or ground hogs, whistlepigs, as they call them. The first few bites I had to kind of chew fast and swallow, but after that they were quite tasty. Not strong tasting. My BIL cleans the older ones real good, and as Leon said, remove the glands, and bakes them. I have had them and they are good too. Never did try the livers though.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Beer has that way,grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Stick to the young ones. Females are your best eating, males can get strong. Remove the glands and soak in vinegar water over night. Some good eating there when made right. I cook a lot up and feed them to the dogs. Cheap dog food.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Grandpa thought they were vermin because his cattle stepped into the holes they dug and broke their legs. So, he gassed them in their holes as soon as he spotted them and located all the entrances. Sport was what you had with quail and a 16 ga. double.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have rock chucks here in eastern Oregon. A recipe in a sheepherders cook book suggests one simply gut them, insert some celery, carrots, and spuds in the body cavity, stitch them up, and bury the critter hair and all in a good pile of hot ashes for an hour. Peel off the rind and have at them.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or skip the fire and veggies and just bury it.

Kinda like the recipe for planked bluefish: Nail a big bluefish filet to a hardwood plank, season with salt, pepper, lemon, and butter. Place upright next to a good bed of hot coals. When the fish begins to flake, throw it away and eat the plank.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Kinda like the recipe for planked bluefish: Nail a big bluefish filet to a hardwood plank, season with salt, pepper, lemon, and butter. Place upright next to a good bed of hot coals. When the fish begins to flake, throw it away and eat the plank.

I have eaten one woodchuck roasted with barbecue sauce that was delicious. It was prepared by a southern family down the street.

I will say bluefish that is promptly bled, dressed and iced, especially smaller harbor blues (less than 3 or 4 pounds) are delicious as well.
Pretty much any fish caught and left out without proper dressing and icing tastes awful.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have plenty of groundhogs here in Pennsylvania. My Mom roasted young ones with potatoes, onions, and carrots when I was kid. They're pretty good eatin'.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I have eaten one woodchuck roasted with barbecue sauce that was delicious. It was prepared by a southern family down the street.

I will say bluefish that is promptly bled, dressed and iced, especially smaller harbor blues (less than 3 or 4 pounds) are delicious as well.
Pretty much any fish caught and left out without proper dressing and icing tastes awful.

The bluefish recipe was a joke. I actually like it pretty well, even the big ones. During the 70s, there was a peak in the bluefish cycle and we really used to hammer them in the Chesapeake. My uncles had an old 26' Trojan that we rebuilt from the gunnels up (also the transom). We ran out of Bert Lamb's in Chesapeake Beach and generally trolled homemade surgical hose eels for the blues. The most we caught was about 60 and the biggest I landed went 14 lbs. We fried the small ones and baked the big ones. Slow-baked bluefish is pretty tasty, actually. The blues were almost considered a trash fish, as people preferred the rockfish. Now it's all expensive. Blues are also very good (and expensive) smoked.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.