Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And a BIG THANKS to all the spineless Flag and General Officers who continued to perpetrate this MESS by nit standing on principle to the politicians who shoved it down the throats of the Pentagon...\

F-35

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the last era of Rome.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that is discouraging.

They dropped my company's contract with them about 2 months ago.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Instead of Thunderbolt II they should have named it Mirage. Because it's a shiny vision, out of reach, and isn't real.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They were hoping Reagan's new super-duper weapons would be available by now to equip them with...

Star-Wars, not yet!

Phil

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A product designed to do everything well, usually ends up doing nothing well. Design and engineering don't exist in a vacuum.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember watching a documentary about the competition between Boeing and Lockheed and they didn't really say that the Boeing design was better but that the Lockheed design was going to be very, very complicated - and it really looked like they were retrofitting an existing jet fighter design to fit the requirements of the contract versus Boeing coming in with a more from the ground up futuristic design

again - not saying Boeing was better, just that Lockheed provided the most technically challenging and complex design.

I was in a class with some Boeing people when the announcement was made. 2 of them picked up their stuff and left. They knew they didn't have a job at the end of the day.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/15/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Didn't they have this STOL fighter figured out 60 years ago?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Marines have always been given hand-me-downs, give em F-18s or F-22s and tell em to figure it out.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What a goat-fugg! Interesting read.

The Marine Corps has a pretty extensive history of the "just build the fugging thing" philosophy. The Scarrier, the Osprey, and now this apparent hunk of schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
And a BIG THANKS to all the spineless Flag and General Officers who continued to perpetrate this MESS by nit standing on principle to the politicians who shoved it down the throats of the Pentagon...\F-35

Jorge, What do you think of the F22?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a fiasco. We designed a faster and better jet for China, and saddled the US with a less capable aircraft for the next 50 years. Just foolish to think one aircraft can do every role of all 3 services.

The worst part is, the pentagon is 110% committed to this aircraft. This is it, there is no alternative.

Lockheed played the US like a Wall Street banker.

I have always thought the "jump jet" idea was something that only paper generals could believe in. And I've never liked this one size fit's all idea...again, looks good on paper to accountants, but it just doesn't reflect the real world.

Meanwhile, there sits the poor US Army infantry soldier who just got screwed again. Because no one's even talking about a close air support aircraft...other than to phase out the one we have.

This is white collar crime at the highest levels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on the other hand, I also thought the big advantage this plane had over the competition was the computer aided systems that took it past the human ability to fly?

The heads up display and what not was the advantage over the competition. Is that not the case?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Jorge, What do you think of the F22?

Ed

I hope he doesn't respond in Spanish because I was going to ask the same question.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
on the other hand, I also thought the big advantage this plane had over the competition was the computer aided systems that took it past the human ability to fly?

The heads up display and what not was the advantage over the competition. Is that not the case?

The F-16 did that 30 years ago... Without computers to keep it in the air, that plane is a lawn dart.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The HUD? A fuggin' Lexus has HUD.

You're gonna need a better "advantage" than that if trying to maintain air superiority in 2015.

Travis

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

The HUD? A fuggin' Lexus has HUD.

You're gonna need a better "advantage" than that if trying to maintain air superiority in 2015.

Travis

This week, Lockheed Martin officially took delivery of a key part of the F-35 fighter’s combat functionality—the pilot’s helmet. The most expensive and complicated piece of headgear ever constructed, the F-35 Gen III Helmet Mounted Display System (HMDS) is one of the multipurpose fighter’s most critical systems, and it's essential to delivering a fully combat-ready version of the fighter to the Marine Corps, the Navy, and the Air Force. But it almost didn’t make the cut because of software problems and side effects akin to those affecting some 3D virtual reality headsets.

Built by Rockwell Collins ESA Vision Systems International (a joint venture between Rockwell Collins and the Israeli defense company Elbit Systems), the HMDS goes way beyond previous augmented reality displays embedded in pilots’ helmets. In addition to providing the navigational and targeting information typically shown in a combat aircraft’s heads-up display, the HMDS also includes aspects of virtual reality, allowing a pilot to look through the plane. Using a collection of six high-definition video and infrared cameras on the fighter’s exterior called the Distributed Aperture System (DAS), the display extends vision a full 360 degrees around the aircraft from within the cockpit. The helmet is also equipped with night vision capabilities via an infrared sensor that projects imagery inside the facemask.

The helmet is an essential part of the aircraft’s cockpit. Some pilots have called the helmet's austere touchscreen Panoramic Cockpit Display “the most naked cockpit in history“ because of its lack of switches and other physical instrumentation. When combined with the cockpit’s built-in voice recognition capabilities, the helmet will allow the pilot to track everything in the aircraft’s sphere of visibility.

The helmet runs for about $600,000, which doesn't include software integration with the aircraft’s systems.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/15/15.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look down shoot down isn't new either.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If, and I say IF all the "gee whiz" stuff works and all that, it will probably be a pretty good fighter eventually. The Aim 9x just needs to be pointed in the general direction of the enemy so maneuvering won't be that important. But as the war game scenario showed, what happens when we have a numerically superior enemy and we use up all the missiles? The F-35 is AT BEST merely equal to a 40 year old F-16 in close in fighting. There are many designs that surpass it in that respect. It would seem to me that the logical thing would have been to design a top rated airframe second to none and THEN add the "gee whiz" stuff instead of relying on so many brand new technologies. Without them or if they don't work, it is a dog.

And this approach might work if we considered the F-35 to be the high end of a high/low mix with current fighters. The F-35 works in conjunction with them and handles lots of the BVR stuff while they handle the close work. But it is absolutely stupid when you consider that the F-35 is supposed to be the low of the high/low mix to the F-22's high and all of our other aircraft are about to fall out of the sky because they have been used so hard and all the money is going to the F-35 program.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading that article, I wouldn't want to be one of the unfortunate souls to have to fly that nightmare of an aircraft.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.