Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, some truly tragic news. Ian was a true gentleman and a consummate professional. Tragedy happened whilst on the spoor of an elephant bull in Chewore North. Ian worked for Chifuti Safaris. The PH fraternity is a lesser place without him. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Dammit, dammit, dammit.

Good guy; the best, actually.

Godspeed, my friend. Godspeed.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Godspeed, yes. And the world of hunting is poorer with his passing. But what a magnificent way to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way for Mr. Gibson and his family and friends.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate to see this. I never had the opportunity to meet Ian, but he was well liked and very well thought of as a PH. Dangerous game is just that. I will be interested in the circumstance of this tragedy.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Go over to AR, Jeff info will be forthcoming. Elephant in musk, tracking all day, client took a break and Ian and tracker went on ahead, got to within 50-100 yards and he turned and charged. Apparently they tried the usual yelling and arm waving and waited too long to "go to guns". He got off one shot but did not stop the charge. Pretty graphic apparently.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very sad news for sure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad news.

Wife widowed and several children left behind.

Thoughts to Ian's family and friends.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
RIP PH Gibson!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Godspeed, yes. And the world of hunting is poorer with his passing. But what a magnificent way to go.

Yes it is sad, but not really a magnificent way to die...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wow, that's a hellluva way to go.

Seems not so long ago another one of their PH's got wrecked by a cape buffalo.

Dangerous business.

Condolences to family and friends. Never easy to lose someone close to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Africa can bite you.

Rest in Peace, Ian. This is very sad news.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Go over to AR, Jeff info will be forthcoming. Elephant in musk, tracking all day, client took a break and Ian and tracker went on ahead, got to within 50-100 yards and he turned and charged. Apparently they tried the usual yelling and arm waving and waited too long to "go to guns". He got off one shot but did not stop the charge. Pretty graphic apparently.

I'd hate to witness that, much less be on the receiving end. Shows that no matter what one's experience level might be, you can't lose your respect for DG and get cavalier about the potential for danger. I think that happens to hunters after a few trips to Africa. The land and animals become familiar, and you can get comfortable with the surroundings. The PH's can misread the animals too, I suppose.

In Tanz, went with 2 PH's to check lion bait hung in a tall tree on the bank of the Ruhaha River, that was mostly dry that time of year. We parked 200 yards away, snuck through the riverine brush near the bank, down the sandy river bed, and up through the brush to the clearing where the bait was hung. No lions sighted, but sign they had fed. This was maybe 11:00 am. One PH was armed, but I wasn't.

As we relaxed checking the bait, a couple of helacious roars came from the bush 30 yards away as 2 young male lions woke from there nap and ran off. I layed a golden egg on the spot! Scared me to death. Had they charged with malicious intent, they could have grabbed all of us.

Just a reminder to keep your guard up, I guess.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hatari

Just a reminder to keep your guard up, I guess.

....and your rifle loaded and handy!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I leaned a long time ago, it is a damned poor set of feet that will stand around and let your face get beat in...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
RIP. Condolences.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A true shame.

Death by elephant would seem to me to be a singularly unpleasant way to die -- but so, too, death by lion, croc, hippo, puff adder, black mamba, etc. Africa has no shortage of options.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You want to read something that will really piss you off, read some of the net postings by the anti-hunters regarding this matter. Got to go bring my blood pressure down now...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Yes it is sad, but not really a magnificent way to die...

Beats the hell out of rotting away with cancer or dementia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.