Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Believe six models one caliber each at lipsey. Is that it now, those only or none?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep.

Next year those same models will be out in a different one caliber each.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if they are hard to make production wise but they have about priced themselves out of the normal hunters price range IMHO even more so for a first timer that may or may not like using a single shot.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If they were selling well enough they would still be a regular catalog item. Lipsey's has done us a service by ordering enough to keep them in production and in some interesting configurations. They are a little pricey, but they are very nice rifles.

There are lots of used ones out there, which no doubt didn't help sales of new ones. I just picked up a like-new .45/70 for $800 on GB.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Preach it Pappy!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They should make them with whatever mods it takes to make them accurate from the factory.

With a wholesale cost over $1,000 I'm not interested when I still have to turn around and do hanger mods, trigger jobs or whatever the current requirement is.

For that money it should come with really nice wood and an accuracy guarantee.

Just my opinion.

Too many really good bolt guns out there shooting really well for a lot less money.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A lot of the accuracy issues were like linked to the use of barrels from an outside supplier. It also caused problems with their bolt guns. Since they began making their own, things are apparently much better.

Ultimately, falling blocks can never be expected to compete with bolt actions in pure accuracy; the mechanics are just against it. They are capable of shooting as well as most folks need for hunting, varminting and other field uses. Good ones can shoot as well or better than most folks have the skill to utilize. People buy them because they handle well and look good and because they enjoy the fine mechanism. That's just as important to a lot of us as price and raw performance; sometimes more so. It's why some of us hunt down old Mausers and Winchesters and such instead of buying Savages and Tikkas.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A lot of the accuracy issues were like linked to the use of barrels from an outside supplier. It also caused problems with their bolt guns. Since they began making their own, things are apparently much better.

Ultimately, falling blocks can never be expected to compete with bolt actions in pure accuracy; the mechanics are just against it. They are capable of shooting as well as most folks need for hunting, varminting and other field uses. Good ones can shoot as well or better than most folks have the skill to utilize. People buy them because they handle well and look good and because they enjoy the fine mechanism. That's just as important to a lot of us as price and raw performance; sometimes more so. It's why some of us hunt down old Mausers and Winchesters and such instead of buying Savages and Tikkas.

Agree...
I just bought an older lightly used #1 RSI because I’ve wanted a number one since they came out, they’re nice looking rifles and I find something appealing about the thought of hunting and shooting with a single shot. I realize from the get go it probably won’t shoot with my ARs or most of my bolt guns for pure accuracy however I suspect it will shoot as well as I do at this point in life. Now if I can just get the scope mounted the way I want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I don't know if they are hard to make production wise but they have about priced themselves out of the normal hunters price range IMHO even more so for a first timer that may or may not like using a single shot.

Mike

The #1 has never been an entry level rifle - or even close. Nor are they designed or intended to compete as readily with the level of precision one can get from many bolt guns. That said, they are nice rifles, many configurations handle better than most bolt guns - some even rival something as revered as the M94 Winchester (IMO), and they often shoot very well right out of the box.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

577 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.