Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Marc Reisner came to a CA Farm Bureau annual dinner as a guest speaker in northern ca about a year before he passed away. He was a great speaker,but I have to admit I never read his book.

Last edited by Farming; 04/18/15.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I farm in the central valley so I'm biased as well but my opinion is if you live/farm in So Cal or any other naturally arid region you should be prepared to suck hind tit during dry periods. My irrigation district sells excess water during wet years and during droughts like now we still get a decent allotment of irrigation water. We pay for the water and have PAYED for the infastructure to store it. Problem is everything is based off the maximum water available not the median.

And I'm supposed to sit here and listen to the SOCAL liberal Greyghost piss on everyones leg about how farming is the devil GFY.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Rancho Loco...

Marc Reisner's book, "Cadilac Desert", is a good read. But his bias came from being a writer for the NRDC.

Agriculture has been the heart of the California economy since the end of the Gold Rush. If it uses 80% of the water, that's a good use compared to golf courses, huge green lawns, and private swiming pools.

Food in the USA is remarkably affordable compared to other countries. So the Sacramento-San Joaquin and Imperial Valleys are a national asset.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 04/18/15.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm hearing this last week in the media that 40 % is ag's use. I've heard this before but Gov. Brown said it publicly so it must be true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Water and agriculture.

Now you all know why splitting California into separate states, or districts, is brought up often. And why it will never happen.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Poor Southern California.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pira114
Water and agriculture.

Now you all know why splitting California into separate states, or districts, is brought up often. And why it will never happen.
As part of a split, you can bet that the feds would step in and take control, calling it interstate commerce. Then the real problems begin.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/416918/no-farmers-dont-use-80-percent-californias-water-devin-nunes?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5531adff04d3010b2c000001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Last edited by wildbill59; 04/19/15.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Agriculture if ever being the heart of California's economy it didn't last long. Heavy Industry has been the majority of the economy since way before the 1900's.

Agriculture amounts to about 2% today, and that is being generous!

Nobody is talking about getting rid of AG, just being a little more wise when it comes to which crops and growing methods.

Phil

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Never understood why people complain about mother nature bitting them in the azz when they live beyond the means of the land. Even worse is politicians trying to create, or say they will, an environment that is the polar opposite of what it is. California is what it is. Adapt or move somewhere else that is more to your liking.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_s_s
Next time you eat a burger you better have it without lettuce or tomatoes. Ed

LMAO at your arrogance, I am not going to starve or miss your lettuce and tomatoes. But you are because without water that stuff doesn't grow in the desert. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It would be nice if they went back to where they came from. Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is exactly how the rest of us feel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Swifty, I got news for you, you ignorant SOB. I didn't make my bed. You friggen dust bowlers are what started the move out here in large droves. Then the ones that didn't come with the dust bowl came to work in the ship yards during WW2, then your friggen kin came. I am 69 years old, went to a little country school, 75% of the kids at that school were born in the mid west. Hell I can talk okie with the best of them. Calif. is not all desert and not all libs. Some of us have been here since before it was a state, and no I am not Mexican. By the way lettuce is not grown in the desert, it is grown in the Salinas Valley on the coast. Tomatoes are grown in the Sacramento Valley and neither valley was ever a desert. If you don't know about the land in California you should keep your trap shut. ED

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Backroads, I don't know Montana well, but I would bet most of the so called Californians that moved there aren't true Californians. They are the same people we have trouble with. ED

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No wonder you are so Phlucking ignorant. In 69 years you haven't learned chit.
You weren't even around in the dust bowl so how would you know first hand whether any of my kin ever phlucking moved there you ignorant bastid.
Matter of fact you weren't even a wet spot in your mommas dreams when the dust bowl hit.
You all are the ones that let in all the spics and chinks so you could get cheap phlucking labor and line your pockets. And after the first amnesty when they all quit, you brought in more. Pure phlucking genius. No wonder you speak Okie instead of English.
If you were an old mid west type as you say conserving resources would come natural, we didn't drain a 1,000,000 acre foot lake here during the 5 years of drought, you did, phlucking ignorant azzholes.

By the way I am 63 and still don't need you Kalifonia BS to survive. You ignorant phluckers aren't the center of the universe except in your own ignorant minds.

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are right you don't need California to survive, much like I damn sure don't need Nebraska. I damn sure don't need some ignorant son of a bitch in Nebraska telling me about California. You don't know [bleep] about this country. I will admit it is f##ked up, but it got that way from all the people moving here and looking for a free ride. Spics? I know some good ones and just like the trailer trash there are some bad ones. Chinks? I don't personally know any, but I imagine the same applies. People from Nebraska would be the same. I think you probably would fall into the trailer trash category. Surprised you have lived 63 yrs and someone hasn't killed you you mouthy son of a bitch. Your turn lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_s_s
You are right you don't need California to survive, much like I damn sure don't need Nebraska. I damn sure don't need some ignorant son of a bitch in Nebraska telling me about California. You don't know [bleep] about this country. I will admit it is f##ked up, but it got that way from all the people moving here and looking for a free ride. Spics? I know some good ones and just like the trailer trash there are some bad ones. Chinks? I don't personally know any, but I imagine the same applies. People from Nebraska would be the same. I think you probably would fall into the trailer trash category. Surprised you have lived 63 yrs and someone hasn't killed you you mouthy son of a bitch. Your turn lol.

LMAO at that. Funny thing is a couple little yellow bastids tried to do just that back in 71, more than once and didn't get the job done.

They were better men than you.

laugh

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of the bickering aside, this is another example of the people in this country living beyond their means.

Lack of water during a seasonal drought is really no different than a person defaulting on debt after being loosing their job and having to get by with less pay.

It is happening over and over and over. Now they are trying to rob Peter to pay Paul. This house of cards is going to fall and fall hard.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You all are the ones that let in all the spics and chinks so you could get cheap phlucking labor and line your pockets. And after the first amnesty when they all quit, you brought in more. Pure phlucking genius. No wonder you speak Okie instead of English.

Swifty,

any messicans in Nebraska? If so, what are they doing there? grin

No state has a corner on big business bringing in cheap labor, that I know of.

Carry on with the fight though, I just wanted to interject a very temporary bit of fact.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.