Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9770490 04/15/15
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After 24 yrs wife wants a divorce and half. Always wanted to move West.

So if I can't afford to buy her out and keep the home ( live on the mnt with acres).

Which state should I really consider. ( Im an RN and can get a job anywhere)

Looking at WY , CO , MT.

All opinions Welcome! and reasons appreciated

Just fishin for some info!

220 Swift still king.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Swift, oboy life changes. I'm a semi-retired RN, and have lived in WY for 24 yrs or so. If you have a certified specialty, especially in ICU, cardiac, ER, there's well paying jobs in WY.
Otherwise hospitals are cutting staff to the quick, and pay poorly with crappy hr/standby etc. We can thank Obamacare and cuts in medicare reimbursement, and unreimbused care for ER visits. Rural hospitals are financially hurting. So if you have a good job where you are, you may want to stay there for now. Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish
and a bit zenophobic. A boom/bust state currently in bust, means folks are in competition with each other for what jobs are available, and can be downright brutish about it. Don't expect intellectual stimulation, as many folks never emotionally graduated high school. But cost of living fairly ok, open carry, conceal carry without permit a plus. Wyoming has the highest suicide rate per capita in the US, so...

I also lived in Colorado. Jobs paid more, but cost of living higher and there's state income tax. Its a good outdoor living state. I absolutely loved the social atmosphere, and always found folks, co-workers etc to do things with. People were just friendlier than those in Wyoming, and had a little more going on upstairs. Now, I was there before pot got legalized, so have to qualify that. There's bigger towns, hence bigger hospitals, so I would think better RN opportunities. And those hospitals generally have a higher standard of care, as some of them are magnet hospitals, and nationally recognized specialty hospitals. JMHO

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/15/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not in your situation and I know you will make the best choice, for you, but... I would think twice about Co., as long as Chickenfugger or any of his crowd are in charge.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Swift

So if I can't afford to buy her out and keep the home ( live on the mnt with acres).

Looking at WY , CO , MT.

Must be something in the water. Its seems to be happening all over.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Get a PI!!!
Thers another man.
Women are like monkeys.
Not letting go of one vine till they have hold of another.
The 2-3k you spend catching her will seem like chump change compared to what you'll save down the road.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would look at Nebraska or South Dakota? Good hospital systems in Nebraska. South Dakota has always intrigued me but don't know much about it. Sioux Falls possibly or Rapid City?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Looking at WY , CO , MT.

Consider South Dakota because they have almost no unemployment and are paying workers very well.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish
and a bit zenophobic. A boom/bust state currently in bust, means folks are in competition with each other for what jobs are available, and can be downright brutish about it. Don't expect intellectual stimulation, as many folks never emotionally graduated high school. But cost of living fairly ok, open carry, conceal carry without permit a plus. Wyoming has the highest suicide rate per capita in the US, so...

Do you realize what a pompous ass you sound like?
You'd probably like WY better if you climbed down off your high horse and stopped looking down your nose at everyone else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't overlook Utah or Idaho, either. Both are deeply conservative, gun friendly, great economies, and smack in the middle of the Rockies.

Utah has many great hospitals and research centers, the Huntsman Cancer Institute being just one.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish

You'd probably like WY better if you climbed down off your high horse and stopped looking down your nose at everyone else.

My thoughts as well.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm too old to care. For several years I was a cheerleader for Wyoming, until I began to see the veneer peeling away. Facebook exposes the underbelly and general attitudes of homogenous Wyoming, its layers upon layers of nepotism, the myth of the cowboy way, how its seniors are actually regarded/disregarded.
The mantra of conservative, freedom loving, no nonsense state is a culture of stagnant, good ol' boy back slapping basement dealing
with your own. City governments are run by generations of extended family, and disagreement amounts to personal attacks, and threats to get those who don't stay in lockstep fired. I've been in Wyoming long enough to speak my mind, without having to offer platitudes, or act like a "lady." I'm sure Wyoming will survive. Me, I'll retire somewhere else. Famous last words of
Doctors, many who have recently left Wyoming..."this is a toxic place." For many reasons.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Were it me, I'd have to consider Texas. Having lived there, I can't think of another Western state with as much to offer - though driving across the state is like crossing the friggin country!

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

That aside its a pretty apt description.

.... like tears in the rain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Were it me, I'd have to consider Texas. Having lived there, I can't think of another Western state with as much to offer - though driving across the state is like crossing the friggin country!
thats if you enjoy heat. I don't. its tougher and tougher to make each summer.

I'm betting from PA though, you hate cold so TX might be an option.

I would not consider CO as much as I like the state, I could not live there.

Good luck.

Give the marriage a go with counseling though IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

Not an option. Shes an addict and has torn the family apart.

220 Swift still king.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Please keep the opinions coming I appreciate!

220 Swift still king.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Colorado = Kalifornia East

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
thats if you enjoy heat. I don't. its tougher and tougher to make each summer.

I'm betting from PA though, you hate cold so TX might be an option.

The summers here can be brutal but I find the extreme amounts of pollen the worst part.

I've been thinking Wyoming would be a nice place to go when I get laid off but now I'm wondering. Alaska seems too expensive and remote but I think I'd enjoy it for a while. I haven't crossed Idaho or Montana off my list either.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right now I have MT and WY on my short list.

220 Swift still king.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

Not an option. Shes an addict and has torn the family apart.

What's the guys name she's addicted to?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.