Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
Mssgn,
can I ask what ammo you used for both animals.
Erich

Cast lead 405 grain bullet over 46 grains of IMR3031.

Picture of the bullet recovered from my moose attached and a photo of the moose that may have me retract my statement - the picture shows what sure as heck looks like an entry wound on the front of the shoulder which would be entirely consistent with where I found the bullet behind the broken shoulder. I could have sworn I hit him in the chest but pictures don't lie, maybe I was just a little bit twitching pulling the trigger on my first moose! Can't blame the bullet.

Attached Images
moose small 2009.jpg (75.36 KB, 686 downloads)
recovered bullet - small moose.jpg (61.9 KB, 634 downloads)

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those photos of Shrapnel look like a time warp with fast forward to the present. He wasn't that bad looking in his youth... shocked

I've killed a few deer with .45-70's, mostly with 300 gr. Horn at around 1,850 fps in past years.

My current primitive weapon is a 30" BPCR and I shoot 250 gr. TSX's over Vv 120 at 2,550 fps. That's a Barnes 1895 load and the 1885 action is a lot stronger, so it could go faster, but that load seems to work.

The last BPCR kill was a 130# doe walking across a food plot. I hit her behind the shoulder and she ran 20 yds., blowing blood like a fire hose. The TSX had opened and blew a huge exit wound, pulverizing her heart.

A young hog (20#'s or so) was shot at around 100 yds. with that rig last year. It blew lungs and chest tissue thru the far chest wall. When the hog was cleaned, the far chest wall looked like a cracked window pane, with fracture lines extending out from the large exit hole. Evidently the chest wall was bowed out enough by the bullet, ribs were fractured in multiple directions. I had never seen that before.

BTW, I don't know how well the 250 TSX would penetrate in a big animal, but it sure is bad at 2,500 fps on soft targets.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Although I have only killed two bull elk with a 45-70,405 Rem JFP neither went over 20 a yards It will kill elk ,and as with just about any chambering of any caliber you can always find limitations. I also kill elk with a 375gr Maxiball or Powerbelt. Same deal.

I have killed elk with about 6 different chamberings in different calibers. Truthfully, I can't say I see a big difference in the killing ability of any of them. I don't purposely put bullets in bone, but putting a bullet in the boiler room kills them fast enough for me.

A lot of guys over think this elk killing business. I think a 45-70 is more than enough to kill any deer in North America.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/15/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Although I have only killed two bull elk with a 45-70,405 Rem JFP neither went over 20 a yards It will kill elk ,and as with just about any chambering of any caliber you can always find limitations. I also kill elk with a 375gr Maxiball or Powerbelt. Same deal.

I have killed elk with about 6 different chamberings in different calibers. Truthfully, I can't say I see a big difference in the killing ability of any of them. I don't purposely put bullets in bone, but putting a bullet in the boiler room kills them fast enough for me.

A lot of guys over think this elk killing business. I think a 45-70 is more than enough to kill any deer in North America.

that pretty much is similar to my experience with a 45/70, and for that matter a 458 win, on elk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

The shape of the penetrating bullet really matters...along with the speed. This 340 Weatherby bullet worked much less quickly than have any of the expanding 45-70 bullets I've used, all on moose. Speed and bullet shape work to create displacement and trauma. Bullets that slip through flesh without much displacement are not the most effective.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 04/17/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well the rifling engraving that bullet (posted above) seems to indicate it was fired, but the lack of ANY obvious impact distortion or expansion would leave me too conclude it failed to expand on impact, thus Id be looking too avoid using anything similar in design or that brand of projectile in the future on elk in any 340 wby I owned.
Ive used the cast 350 and cast 405 weight bullets and the 405 jacketed remingtons on both deer and elk in the past, and while If yet to have a Dead on impact shot with a 45/70 I,ve also never had one go very far either

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've killed three elk in my life,all with a Sharps. Two were with a 45-70, and one with a 45-110. Both rifles used the same bullet, a 510 grain round nosed paper patched bullet cast at 30-1 driven by black powder The velocity on the 45-70 was 1190 fps and the 45-110 gave 1310. Both rifles gave complete pass through penetration through both shoulders and about a 1 1/2 inch exit hole out of the opposite shoulder. All three elk were down in less than 30 yards. No blood shot meat, you could eat right up to the hole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not downed anything with my 70 yet, but some U-Tube video's convince me it's a serious killer. Modern slugs in modern magnums explode and stop after passing though 3 or 4 gallon milk jugs. A 45-70 and a corresponding heavy slug will do 20 to 23 jugs.

I do pack one as a dark timber elk rifle. With 405's running around 1,750 fps, I fear nothing in the America's.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/21/15.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've killed one whitetail with the 45-70 using a 405 gr. LBT WFNGC bullet.

She was running straight across in front of me about probably 50 yards. At the shot I saw what looked like her hide being popped like a bedsheet being straightened, a sort of ripple going from back to front before she ran behind some brush. I waited for her to come out and sure enough I saw what I thought was her and several others run across the creek and on up the bank on the other side.

I went down to where I had shot at her looking for some sign of a hit or where I might find the bullet had hit. Seeing nothing, I looked toward where she had run to see her laying dead about 10 or 15 yards away. I had hit her with a broadside Texas heart shot through both hams.

I don't recommend taking that shot, but it was effective for me and didn't ruin much if any meat.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed somewhere over 150 feral pigs with the 45-70 using mainly 300g HPs with a fair number of 400g FPs, some 350g FPs and a handful of 325g FTX. No deer yet, and obviously no bears down here.

All my kills have used jacketed bullets. Only a small handful have been more than 125y or so, with most under 50.

They knock pigs of all sizes over with alacrity. At least as much as the 338 WM, 30-06, 308 and 270 I generally use when not carrying the 45-70.

Don't know if that helps. In any case I recommend the cartridge for even the biggest pigs.

IC B3

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only an experience of 1; but, have shot 1 whitetail with a 350 gr. Hornady jacketed RN at about 40 yards. It is the only deer I have shot that I saw the entrance hole as the deer stumbled away. The deeer fell to the shot, got up and leaped once , got up stumbled again after 1 leap and laid down dead about 50 yds. away. This from a Ruger #1, with a load of 4895 that did not exceed Springfield pressures. Had about an inch of rain overnight and could still backtrack the blood trail from where it laid to where I shot. I was impressed, but have used small fast calibers since; no failures, but no deer that could not have been taken with the 45/70. Maybe it's time to start using the 45/70 again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Have only killed 3 deer with the 45-70. First was a medium buck running thru a bottom after being flushed by my B-I-L. I led it like a bird and touched off the 300 gr Horn HP when everything lined up. The buck crumpled on the shot and slide a few feet on his chin. I stayed put til Randy got there and had him stand where the buck was when the trigger broke. I then walked straight to him and found two small saplings that had holes in them. The Hornady still hit right where I aimed....through the shoulders.

Next was a trotting doe that was hit in the spine. She got up on her front legs and I put another through her neck. That was with a Remington 405 gr FP. The last was a doe feeding through the woods. Hit her through the chest with a 405 gr hard cast boolit. She made the old 50 yd death dash leaving a red paving stripe trail.

In retrospect, I can say that these three results were not very different than many similar hits with most standard cartridges and jacketed soft point bullets.

Last edited by Hook; 06/25/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mssgn
I have shot one white tail with 45-70. This doe was at about 25 yards looking at me. I held center of chest and pulled the trigger. She went down on her knees hard with a blat. Then got up and ran out of sight. I thought. "Dead deer walking" smoked a cigar to savor the moment and then went to dress her out. I never found her. Her very scant blood trail ( a few drops now and then) took me over a mile, over a mountain, and deep into a swamp.

I killed a bull moose with 45-70. Same position. Moose was facing me maybe 75 yards away. My first shot hit in the chest veered right, broke a shoulder and lodged there (NO VITALS!). Moose turned around and ran away. I dropped him with the Texas heart shot.

45-70 is not my first choice for "stopping power"

I don't like front chest shots unless it's a high velocity type of load, but even still I would rather shoot through both shoulders or lungs with a side shot.

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used a Marlin 45-70 1895 guide gun to shoot a pretty wide variety of game, over the years. With the exception of one black bear, everything else was killed with 300gr. nosler partition bullets, which, unfortunately, they quit making. I've shot hogs, bear, and 7 head of African plains game, in RSA, back in 2008. Here's a few pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by maddog; 10/01/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's a couple more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice photos!

Not bad for an "obsolete" round! grin grin

Retired cat herder.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great photos there Maddog!!!

I have killed one whitetail and one antelope with my .45-70 a Marlin 1895.. 350 Horn. Both animals took a high shoulder shot, so they dropped right there..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here is a couple pics of the other two critters I took, on my 08 plains game safari. An impala and a blesbok.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinGunner500 answered ALL dumbassed questions as to whether the 45/70 "is enuff gun" for dang near anything grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinGunner500 answered ALL dumbassed questions as to whether the 45/70 "is enuff gun" for dang near anything grin

I gotta agree with you on this one, Jim!!

I expect you've got plenty of good answers on this thread already, stu, but just to gild the lily a bit, let me add my dos centavos.

I've shot about a dozen white-tailed deer and 1 pig with slow, heavy bullets, mostly with .50 or .45 cal muzzleloaders, but 3-4 with .45-70's. Out of that bunch, I've had two DRT's: a doe shot with a .50 cal 295 gr PowerBelt bullet, and a spike buck shot with a 350 gr .45-70 factory load. All the rest ran anywhere from 25 to 150 yards, then dropped dead.

I have no problem with the performance of any of those bullets, and I have no problem considering the 45-70 adequate for hunting any species in North America.

Originally Posted by stuwxyz
I have never been around a 45-70 very often and am not convinced of its stopping power on charging game.

Now, hold on thar, Bubba-Louey!!!

There is a HUGE difference between a hunting rifle/caliber and a stopping rifle/caliber. If you're talking about stopping a charging piece of Dangerous Game, you're talking about a specialized branch of the hunting sports. That specialized sport is practiced most commonly in the place where most of the planet's Dangerous Game species live, i.e., Africa. And even then, there are two levels of DG: thin-skinned (lion and leopard) and thick-skinned (elephant, rhino, and Cape buffalo).

What the African PH's will tell you almost to a man that you can hunt anything up to and including elephant with a rifle of the 375 H&H class, but that a stopping rifle for thick-skinned DG should be a big bore (.40 caliber at least, and preferably larger) firing a 400+ grain solid bullet at 2200-2300 fps. There are all kinds of theories for why this is the "magic" combination, but the fact is that no one really knows why that is the case. But it works, and it's been working for 100+ years, so no one argues with it any more.

As long as you put the bullet where it will kill the incoming animal, that is. This means the brain or high spinal cord, of course. You can shoot a charging elephant with a 450 gr bullet in a suitable caliber and still be killed by it, as PH Kevin Gibson demonstrated earlier this year. So shot placement still counts, regardless of caliber.

For thin-skinned DG, however, many PH's go much lighter, using anything from the 375 H&H with a 300 gr soft bullet to a 12-gauge shotgun stoked with 00 buckshot, depending on the situation.

Since thick-skinned DG is a rarity in North America, we're really talking about the latter category: bears. And a modern 45-70 loaded with hot ammo (appropriate to the action and steel used in manufacture) fits the bill, ballistically speaking.

A modern Browning or Winchester 1886 is easily capable of withstanding 50,000 PSI pressures. This means you can load 'em up considerably. Extreme example: I've worked up loads for ~400 gr cast bullets at velocities above 2100 fps. That's close to 4000 fpe, and awfully close to the level of an African express stopping rifle. This load recoils immoderately in a light rifle, you need a fullsize rifle to tame the kick... but if that isn't a North American stopping rifle and load, I don't know what is.

Personally, I don't think there's much I wouldn't be afraid to take on in North America with a good lever action 45-70 with a good 300 gr soft point bullet at 1900-2000 fps.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

263 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,554
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.