Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have a 9.3x62 project on a LH Zastava that had run aground. The feeding was awful because the feed rails were too wide. It also needed sights and a barrel band installed. I flew the rifle and parts to Jim in Minneapolis last Thursday as I passed through town on a business trip, and was able to pick it up the following Thursday as I headed to the airport to come home.

I apologize to those of you who might have projects on Jim's bench because he clearly jumped me to the top of the line in order to provide such exemplary service.

And the rifle feeds great now (he had to weld in and reshape the feedrails)and the sights were installed just as I intended. Perhaps the best work quality/customer service I have ever recieved from a gunsmith.

Thanks again, Jim

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man makes one hell of a nice looking rifle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like my gun cabinet a lot because of some of Jim's work in it!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I take up knitting if Jkob where my only option. Of course I'm not prone to jerking off to my rifles either. [bleep] Jkob

Originally Posted by Jkob
Maybe he is like me and don't "PUNCH OUT" chambers. The "cool" factor just don't cut it for me!

He wouldn't have pissed me off if he had said re-chamber instead of trying to be cool. Just grinds my azz with some of this chit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If we keep sending Jim stuff to practice on, he may turn into a pretty decent smith one of these days, Scott's opinion notwithstanding... laugh

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I take up knitting if Jkob where my only option. Of course I'm not prone to jerking off to my rifles either. [bleep] Jkob

Maybe he is like me and don't "PUNCH OUT" chambers. The "cool" factor just don't cut it for me!

He wouldn't have pissed me off if he had said re-chamber instead of trying to be cool. Just grinds my azz with some of this chit.

Are you still considering my $750.00 offer?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What offer? I didn't see it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
I felt sorry for Kobe and gave him several chances. He f'd up one of my builds so bad I walked away and had somebody else fix it. Didn't even call him on it.

ITD gun is good. They did most of my work back when I was building like crazy. Only complaint is to watch the recoil lugs. They come back often crooked, and can make taking the rifle out of bedding nothing short of interesting if you don't catch it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like Dave at IT&D, too.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What offer? I didn't see it.

Trying to save that 95 from certain death in a canoe in Alaska...

$750.00

Can you see it now?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never heard of welding in new feed rails before. Always thought that once they were modified for a larger case that was it. Very interesting! Would love to see some photos of the work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well the first photos are my 458 Lott that Kobe did for me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Next is my 250-3000.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Another, my Hyper Single in 257 Roberts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/r2suo1.jpg[/img]
Man, the screw slots aren't clocked properly! So Kobe only does nice work for me?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I have never heard of welding in new feed rails before. Always thought that once they were modified for a larger case that was it. Very interesting! Would love to see some photos of the work.

Kevin,
You have a lot to learn.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Kevin,
You have a lot to learn.

laugh

Politics, too...

Seems I remember Boxer/Stick having some kinda beef with Jim.

Jim's done several Mauser projects for me, nothing like the fine guns pictured, just basic stuff. He also built my hunting bud and me a pair of 26 Noslers on shot out 7RM BDL's. He had Shilen Match tubes on those guns and ready for me to glass them in just a few weeks. I was amazed at the turnaround time, and of course, they performed perfectly. He had some stroke with Shilen and can get barrels pretty quick. It takes action work for a std. mag 700 to accommodate the fat 26 Nolser round. Not a problem for Jim.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Butch, looks like top-shelf work right there.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I sure have been happy with the many projects Jim has helped me with, a good gun guy to deal with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Kevin,
You have a lot to learn.

I agree, which is why I asked to see a photo of the remodeled rails on the gun. As I said, I had never heard of it before, so the only way to learn about it would be to see it!

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Neither my camera nor my skills are up to task of clearly showing what he did, but here goes.

[Linked Image]

The photos make it look like the top surface of the rail is uneven, but they exaggerate.
[Linked Image]

On the photo below I have tried to show the area of the rail that was missing before he welded it up. The green sharpy shows where the gap between the rails was too wide.

[Linked Image]

Prior to Jim's work, the gun just would not feed. Cases came out too early and ended up pointing all sorts of wrong places. Some jammed on the left side of the barrel face, others on the right. The problem was most dramatic on the cartridges on the left side of the action. It just was not acceptable at all. Now it is feeding flawlessly--the way a Mauser is supposed to.

I was thinking my only option was to go with a bigger diameter case, maybe move up to 9.3x64 to salvage the barrel, but that would require re-chambering, changing the bolt face, and getting a different mag box.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe using terms like "punch out" with a Guild Riflesmith, is similar to walking up to the President and saying......"What it be dude......"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If terms like "punch out" bother a Guild Riflesmith, you'd think the tooling marks and visible weld would too (as pictured above by Utah708). I'm trying to figure out why a guy wouldn't make another pass and machine that flat on the mill. Seems basic, but maybe I missed something?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
207 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.