Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Did anyone borescope the suspect barrel to see what it looked like?

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by foogle
Did anyone borescope the suspect barrel to see what it looked like?

Nope, chamber was suspect from jump. Had Karl bed it twice with no joy. Since the smith was zero help I sent it down the road. Less grief to build another

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had a couple headache builds, one drug out for over 2 years. Sad thing was one was a full custom. I'm done with the full custom deal and sticking to semis from now on. Just received a blueprinted SS 700 with PTG bolt for my next build. Got the Rock and Ti in hand as well, just need to send it off to a plumber.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Got one now that's suspect. Remington action that was blueprinted on some fancy schmany equipment. Has a Krieger barrel installed with a brake. It seems like the best the gun will do is about 3/4 MOA. Stock had some schmany bedding and it shoots no better than when it was a factory barrel....Why'd I mess with it?!

Gun has already been back to 'smith twice for 3 issues:
- Barrel channel was touching barrel and had to be relieved
- 8-40 scope base screw would not sit flush in picatinny rail
- trigger guard had to be relieved due to trigger binding

'smith supposedly does great work but I'll go elsewhere next time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I've had a couple headache builds, one drug out for over 2 years. Sad thing was one was a full custom. I'm done with the full custom deal and sticking to semis from now on. Just received a blueprinted SS 700 with PTG bolt for my next build. Got the Rock and Ti in hand as well, just need to send it off to a plumber.

Curious what the difference is between full custom and semi's to you? A custom action?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Did you ever get the .257 Roy situation worked out?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm starting to think custom barrels are like custom wheels on a car...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A solid factory rig in a decent stock with decent load development is plenty capable of 1/2 MOA.

Except for Tikkas, which will do it in Tupperware.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never really paid any attention to which make of barrel I use. I must be lucky.

My POS Tikka defies logic. It pains me to admit how well it shoots.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
20 minutes and a soldering iron makes for functional "checkering"

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
My tikka is a custom killer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
My tikka is a custom killer.

Yup..... my 'custom' .260 hasn't seen 50 rounds since the CTR arrived on the scene....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
You guys are killing me with the CTR talk!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe stainless is going be available for 2015.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Stop teasing me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
I had a 280AI that Dwight Scott did, gun would shoot patterns not groups not matter what I did. He would not do chit to help either..... Didnt hardly chamber a factory round, just a train wreck of a build.

I have a 280 AI that Dwight did 20 years ago.
And a bunch of others.
Hart barrel.700 action.HTG stock.3-12x50 S&B
140g Ballistic tip with 58.5g of N204.
Last time I shot that load it printed a 1.5 group.
At 500 yards.
Interesting stuff.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been fighting a 30-06 I had done over a year ago. 10 twist cut 4 groove, match reamer, full single point trued rem action and I even paid to have the smith bed it. I've tried 3 different scopes and mounts and dozens of loads. Finally bought a tikka T3 stainless when they were on sale locally for $479. Load 6 loads each of 4 different bullets and head to the range shooting 3 through the custom and 3 through the tikka back and forth. The tikka shot them all under an inch with two groups under 1/2 inch and the custom averaged about 2 moa with the best group being 1.4" ish.

I have a 300 wsm custom with the same brand barrel and chambered by the same smith that's probably the most accurate rifle I own. I bedded the 300 wsm. I'm going to call the smith and see if he'll put one of my new blanks from another manufacturer on it. I think it's a bad barrel and is a little loose. It shoots fast but no accuracy. I hate to pay for it all over again but if it's a bad barrel it's not the smiths fault.

I'm about to the same point as steelhead and just want the manufacturer to install it. That way there's no finger pointing. Unless you bed it yourself.

Bb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Build enough custom rifles, or have enough after market work done and eventually we will run into rifles that give us fits or simply don't perform. I've had them...most every body has.Sometimes it's the smith, sometimes the components.

Not a bad idea to have the barrel maker install. When possible i like to see the rifle built by one shop, start to finish.

Usually we build to get something the factories can't give us. If a Tikka or something else does fine for us and performs well,a custom is a waste of time and money.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad had a CM Douglas barrel chambered in 225 Winchester put on a Hi-Wall. I couldn't get better than 2 MOA out of it no matter what I did.

Sent the barrel back to Douglas and received a new contoured barrel back and it now is about a 3/4" gun.

Douglas sure stood behind that one.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 04/27/15. Reason: SP
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Receivers are usually not an issue, until that rare occasion when they are. The bedding, barrel, mounts and other usual suspects have been tested on this rifle. Maybe its time to consider that the receiver may be a little flaky. I don't mean out of spec but that it may have issues that show up only under the stress of firing.
It's been a few years back but a poster on here mentioned he had a NULA that wouldn't shoot. After some back and forth it was discovered that the heat treat on the receiver was not to spec (too soft) and that was causing accuracy problems.(NULA starts with heat treated stock to mfg. the receiver. They received some bad stock as I remember the story.) New receiver=problem solved.
The British SMLE was capable of very good accuracy but has that flexible receiver. The way I remember reading that story, the armorers for the shooting teams would start by picking known accurate rifles to rebarrel. Putting a match barrel on a known shooter worked well but putting a good barrel on a random receiver was a crapshoot.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.