Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
http://www.defensenews.com/story/mi...t-strike-fighter-f-35-unmanned/25832745/

Before all you ex airdales start in on this, let me go grab some popcorn...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

makes sense to me.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like this idea - swarms of smaller, basically expendable drones since anything that flies can and will be shot down eventually.

They can attack targets directly or identify and illuminate them for a larger attack craft standing by with a heavier ordnance capability or stand-off type munitions.

The size of them would be adaptable to mounting on a mobile land based carrier which could be stationed just behind the lines or close to areas of combat in dispersed regions with no front line like Vietnam was or Afghanistan is today.

LOCUST swarm

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What can you expect from an obama appointee and other idiots...?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I knew I could count on you. :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA

makes sense to me.

Sure, always a good idea to make sure that your armed forces have a small number of options. It makes it very nice for the potential opponents too since they can use a minimal defense budget and pretty much be sure that they'll be ready to ensure the USN Power projection isn't a factor. crazy

Growing up my Dad had an extensive collection of Popular Mechanics an such from the 60's predicting the same demise. Wasn't true then. Isn't true now.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not seeing the issue with going to attacking via program. Indoctrination of a human to do anything they are ordered is close to, but not 100%, guaranteed.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

KW, regale us with your expertise in combat, planning, strategy, tactics etc.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like this idea. You could cut back the manned aircraft back =by half and replace it with twice the number of unmanned drones.

You'd still have to keep pilots and conventional transport and combat aircraft, because there are just some missions that couldn't be done any other way.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what is to be done when someone learns to jam the control systems on the drones, or even worse takes controls and turns them against us?
Can't be done?
Maybe not yet but anyone willing to bet their future against someones future skills?
A man in the bird has hands on the stick and feet on the rudders. Difficult to take over that system.

Last edited by Tracks; 04/17/15.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Oh disturbed one, my experience is not relevant to the discussion. In case you missed it, the point of posting this story was to solicit the views of those with extensive military aviation experience -- such as Jorge and Pugs, who I respect -- on SECNAV's comments about taking pilots out of the cockpit.

I was not an aviator and I make no claims to any special martial prowess, but I did my job and served honorably, mostly forward deployed in WESTPAC and the IO for roughly 3 1/2 years, during a never-dull period of history. I make no apologies for that to you or anyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I like this idea. You could cut back the manned aircraft back =by half and replace it with twice the number of unmanned drones.

You'd still have to keep pilots and conventional transport and combat aircraft, because there are just some missions that couldn't be done any other way.

Correct. There are things drones do very well. long endurance Intelligence Surveillance and Recon (ISR) are sweet spots for sure. When it comes to boys in green in trouble though I want a guy looking down with eyeballs on, transport troops? No CO wants to tell a parent his child was killed by a robot aircraft software glitch.

Don't think drones are cheap and they still have a lot of issues. Predator loss rate run about 10/100,000 hours. This compares to the overall Navy rate of less than 1/100,000 hours in manned aircraft. That's class A's so it doesn't include combat losses. Numbers like that mean that the technical and operational maturity of drones is still quite low.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe part of the development is to make the UAV's autonomous or as autonomous as possible. Just point'em at what you want attacked - i.e. GPS coordinates or whatever - and they do the rest without a human pilot either in a cockpit or 5,000 miles away in a control room. No outside data link, no jamming them.

There will always be a need for manned aircraft for certain missions but for ground attack or CAS which are very high risk missions, especially with the portable anti-air capabilities available to even guerrilla forces these days, it makes sense to have a smaller, extremely maneuverable vehicle capable of G-force turns no human could stand, and without the risk of a very expensive to train pilot becoming a casualty or POW.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I believe part of the development is to make the UAV's autonomous or as autonomous as possible. Just point'em at what you want attacked - i.e. GPS coordinates or whatever - and they do the rest without a human pilot either in a cockpit or 5,000 miles away in a control room. No outside data link, no jamming them.

That's called a Tomahawk land attack missile. They work really well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Curious on how you'd preprogram a drone for CAS...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, continue to stir the pot to no good end. SecNav is here today, gone tomorrow. Irrelevant as a tick on a dog's butt. Just as knowledgeable as McNamara.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh disturbed one, my experience is not relevant to the discussion. In case you missed it, the point of posting this story was to solicit the views of those with extensive military aviation experience -- such as Jorge and Pugs, who I respect -- on SECNAV's comments about taking pilots out of the cockpit.

I was not an aviator and I make no claims to any special martial prowess, but I did my job and served honorably, mostly forward deployed in WESTPAC and the IO for roughly 3 1/2 years, during a never-dull period of history. I make no apologies for that to you or anyone else.

Don't forget to add "I think New Braunfels is awesome" to your resume.

It says a LOT.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, continue to stir the pot to no good end. SecNav is here today, gone tomorrow. Irrelevant as a tick on a dog's butt. Just as knowledgeable as McNamara.

Over half a million Americans plus their friends and families would disagree about Robert McNamara being irrelevant.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by sherp

Over half a million Americans plus their friends and families would disagree about Robert McNamara being irrelevant.

How do you sustain your energy sans Bluedreaux's COCK these days?

Protein bars?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.