I ascribe to the following theories:

1. Age and treachery overcome youth and skills

2. Only a fool fights fair

3. Survival by any means necessary

4. In a fight be the dirtiest player in the game

5. Peace thru superior firepower

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As tough as an MMA fighter or pro boxer may be, they are not trained or practiced in lethal techniques. They practice a sport and those sports by necessity dis-allow lethal techniques.

If a fight last longer than two strikes you have done it wrong.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i prefer to reason with the assailant. try to find some common ground and reason for his aggression towards me. failing that, i pepper him with dung-tipped chinese fighting stars and skeedaddle.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
As tough as an MMA fighter or pro boxer may be, they are not trained or practiced in lethal techniques. They practice a sport and those sports by necessity dis-allow lethal techniques.

IMHO, MMA skills would be very useful in hand-to-hand combat. I found it significant that the article valued wrestling skills so highly in hand-to-hand scenarios. Whereas I notice Hollywood tends to like to focus on striking. Its worth remembering too that even a world class athlete can only go full-out for about a minute. As an example, folk style wrestling is extremely demanding. Wrestlers are the most fit, and over-trained athletes in existence. But even in college wrestling, there is a significant amount of periodic inactivity or relatively low levels extreme exertion as the wrestlers set-up takedowns or position to execute an escape move. It is extremely taxing for even a superbly conditioned collegiate wrestler to exert himself full-go for a take-down or an escape for even as little as one minute.

My .02 worth.

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 04/17/15.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
At my advanced age and with several physical problems, if someone attacks me, I'll just have to call on my old and very dear friends, Col. Colt and his Nine Little Sisters, to help me.

[Linked Image]

wink

L.W.

MMC Combat Sight?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
At my age of 66, with no training, a .357 at 10 feet is hand-to-hand. Fook-u azzwipe!

I don't think I'd stress much over it either, but I could be wrong, having never been there.

Last edited by las; 04/17/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherp
"MMC Combat Sight?"

Yep. That fixed Hi Vis MMC sight works just fine for my tired eyes. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Having BTDT -
whatever it takes, with rapidly graduating force and rapidly decreasing care about the well-being of the opponent.
I never start, I always try to finish, and generally do.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
when adrenaline takes over a person in such situations, a person can surprise themselves with what they will do for self preservation.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by eh76
If you get me on the ground and squeeze me you might get more than you bargained for whistle think toxic cloud laugh

Damnit, man, don't post stuff like that when I'm in the middle of drinking a soda...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

IMHO, MMA skills would be very useful in hand-to-hand combat. I found it significant that the article valued wrestling skills so highly in hand-to-hand scenarios. Whereas I notice Hollywood tends to like to focus on striking. Its worth remembering too that even a world class athlete can only go full-out for about a minute. As an example, folk style wrestling is extremely demanding. Wrestlers are the most fit, and over-trained athletes in existence. But even in college wrestling, there is a significant amount of periodic inactivity or relatively low levels extreme exertion as the wrestlers set-up takedowns or position to execute an escape move. It is extremely taxing for even a superbly conditioned collegiate wrestler to exert himself full-go for a take-down or an escape for even as little as one minute.

My .02 worth.

Jordan

That sport training is better than nothing. However, collegiate wrestling and MMA ground and pound are focused on pinning and leverage holds. Not incapacitation and deadly force.

What I am trying to say is self defense and hand to hand combat are a different thing than a sport. It starts with the mind set of immediately disabling an opponent not holding or pounding them into submission. Try that stuff with multiple attackers and you die.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been in dust-ups both as a Soldier and a Cop. BIG difference. ENORMOUS difference. Hand to hand as a soldier are over very quickly. You either make your kill or you are killed. No fancy stuff. RESTRAINING somebody otoh is a real bastard. To really survive the terminal hand to hand, one has to have an extremely harsh attitude.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ribka
I used to be a defensive tactics instructor and am prior military.

As part of our training now we do a lot of on the ground grappling, weapons retention, red man scenarios. Usually have a at least a few injuries in our group after training. Training is conducted at about 50-60% otherwise too many injuries.

I used to wrestle in HS and college. I can maybe go a minute thirty now on a good ( age 52) of all out grappling, fighting before I feel like puking out my guts.

Fighting when you're tired, fatigued or after being punched in the face a few times adds a good element to the training. I see some people will just give up and curl into a ball after being punched kicked a few good times.

Oh and I have no illusions that I can go toe to toe with a guy in good shape trained in MMA in his 20'3 or 30's. I know that I most likely will get my ass kicked. Quite a few in the criminal element are part of the MMA culture and good police departments are training for that.
a lot of good points in there.
criminals want to play MMA, shoot the SOBs. Go for my weapon, you will die, your choice.

But obviously if a weapon is empty then you have no other choice....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I fear that the pussification of America will affect our soldiers more and more as time goes on. Little boys learn a lot by being little boys with wrestling and other skills they learn while playing. That builds instincts that is hard to learn when older. I even suspect that playing cowboys and Indians when young would help in later life when the little boy becomes a soldier. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, another factor is the incredible speed with which a situation can go downhill. If you have witnessed or been a party to a deadly hand to hand battle, the 2 things that really stand out is the speed and the brutality. Any sane man would pass on either witnessing or participating in such a fight. All of the dissection Doc re-produced were done well after the ugly fact. There is generally no time to use a gun. A knife is a big maybe but actually more likely. Soldiers use knives/bayonets, their helmets, entrenching tools,rifle butts, rocks...ANYTHING to survive.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Hand to hand as a soldier are over very quickly. You either make your kill or you are killed.

Years ago, I took Tai Kwon Do classes from a former ROK instructor and Vietnam vet.

Since we knew he had combat experience, we would pester him with questions about real fighting instead of what he was teaching us.

One day, pressed to give an opinion as to how a man wins a fight when he is up against an opponent of equal skill, he told us the man who gets in the first blow will usually win.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe

That's why they make them little pocket .380's these days.

The target market is old grumpy men in baggy britches.

Truer words have never been spoken.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
like the puters okay

still deciding on smart phones

air conditioning is great

but getting old sucks

and having the ROE change over my lifetime sucks too

came up on the short end a few times, but I feel sorry for young men these days. sex can kill ya, and so can Fri and Sat nite fighting

I grew up in the good old days, weekends were to F, fight or throw rocks and didn't really care which

in all my romping and stomping activities only had a gun pulled on me twice

statistically, that's not very much

sucks to be a young man today from what I can tell

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I've been in dust-ups both as a Soldier and a Cop. BIG difference. ENORMOUS difference. Hand to hand as a soldier are over very quickly. You either make your kill or you are killed. No fancy stuff. RESTRAINING somebody otoh is a real bastard. To really survive the terminal hand to hand, one has to have an extremely harsh attitude.

This^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ain't gonna be no fight. Period.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
587 members (12308300, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.