Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When I practice I keep the rifle against my shoulder. With the Weatherby I don't bind the bolt, but with the other rifle I do.

Is there a lube for use on the stainless bolt in the titanium action? Even if I'm the problem of torquing the bolt handle, I still have the problem.

Maybe salt bath nitride treating the bolt body? For sure I need something.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ringman
When I practice I keep the rifle against my shoulder. With the Weatherby I don't bind the bolt, but with the other rifle I do.

Is there a lube for use on the stainless bolt in the titanium action? Even if I'm the problem of torquing the bolt handle, I still have the problem.

Maybe salt bath nitride treating the bolt body? For sure I need something.

Not 100% sure you can nitride treat a stainless bolt. How about coating the bolt with something like NP3?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Problem is with the Ti receiver. I will have mine done by Blaser with their PVD treatment.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, guys for the info. I spent a few minutes on BIG and came up with a company that does different types of coatings for different industries, including firearms. I will call them Monday, if the Lord wills, and get the scope. When I get the info, I will post it.

It a real drag being used to my Weatherby which is very nice to use from the shoulder, then switching to a rifle that cost a lot more and being disappointed the first time I started to practice with it.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pierce action?

John didn't cerakote the bolt?

IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the action is a Pierce. I dont' remember him saying anything about that. He did offer to take another 1.5 ounces out of the bolt for an extra "C" note, which I went for since I was already spending a small fortune on this rifle.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cerakote would be nasty on a bolt in my opinion. Titanium is grabby, it ain't the bolt. I have a friend, Heym dealer in Dallas, that had a Ti rifle and had the PVD coating done to it. You can't believe how slick it is now.
Mine is a Pierce and it is a top quality piece.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Butch,

Who does PVD work on firearms that you would recommend?

Thanks

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Cerakote would be nasty on a bolt in my opinion. Titanium is grabby, it ain't the bolt. I have a friend, Heym dealer in Dallas, that had a Ti rifle and had the PVD coating done to it. You can't believe how slick it is now.

What do they use for the coating?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

IC B3

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I called Pierce this morning. After I told the fellow about the bolt binding when I try to cycle it quickly while holding at my shoulder, he told me to "choke up on the bolt handle." I tried it by lifting the bolt knob with my palm and using my pinkie to draw the bolt back. It worked slick. But when I pushed it back in, it bound.

I will be sending it off to get the coating.

Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Our Pierce Ti action is Cerakoted fully inside and out by us with 146 black with the bolt in the factory finish. With a couple drops of Tri Flow on the bolt body and Mobil-1 red grease on the lugs it runs slick as can be. Raw titanium is pretty grabby. We haven't even fire formed our first hundred brass yet and the body count is just wracking up. We are killing squirrels with it out to 500 yards with the 150 grain partition fire form loads.

This material in a firearm is to be carried a lot and shot a little. If you are looking for smooth long term durability the traditional non-stainless steel actions are hard to beat.

If ours started grabbing I would Microslick the whole bolt body. I would pull the barrel and be sure to Microslick the lug recesses too.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HiredGun,

I paid Pierce extra for an extra polish on the bolt. What that means is I hope for something good. Does the cerakote stay in the raceways of the bolt? Does it help with lubricity?

What is "Microslick" and do you do it? If you do, what is the turn around time? Do I need to disassemble the rifle or even take the stock off?

Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Microslick C-110 is a dry film lubricant developed by Cerakote. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/testing/Friction.pdf
I am a Certified Cerakote applicator. To start I think just doing the bolt should help. It goes on in a bluish gray color. It won't burn any bridges if you want to try something else later. I could get it back in 5 business days. Give me a call and we can go over it.

I have done it for a few board members here. Hopefully one of them could give a brief testimonial.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put some grease on the bolt instead of throwing money at it

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper
Put some grease on the bolt instead of throwing money at it

Not to be a smart a$$, but this is what crossed my mind when the OP first posted. Why wouldn't a dab of grease work? I always put a small drop on the back side of my locking lugs.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
He did have a good gun grease in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Titanium is different, likes to stick and gall. I know that much. Not having worked with the stuff I won't offer any advice beyond for a moly loaded synthetic grease Valvoline Synpower is very good. It's much like Brownell's Action Lube II. Viscosity stable over a wide temperature range, doesn't pick up dust like a common grease, made for extreme pressure, and the moly gives it an anti-seize quality.

Google is your friend. Here's a quick hit or two on the topic:

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2617

http://www.stle.org/resources/articledetails.aspx?did=1631

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn I'd like to say that moly (molybdenum disulphide) or PTFE (Teflon) is the answer but I just don't know.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked up my Pierce from HiredGun a couple hours ago. I don't know what he put in the action and on the bolt. Before I took it to him it would bind even with the MOLY-SLICK Paste. Now after putting the paste on it again it is as slick as my Weatherby. While I was at his shop I tried his Weatherby and it was also slick like mine. Maybe its a Mark V thing to be slick when operating the bolt from the shoulder.

Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.