GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Sounds like they are working for you.

They certainly work as do others.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have only used TTSXs lately. They have worked very well. Internal damage is fantastic, but I am always amazed at how small the entrance and exit holes are. Just for grins I'll shoot something different next year. Perhaps even a C&C. I will say I am now a true believer in dropping the weight and adding speed to the monos.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prm
I am now a true believer in dropping the weight and adding speed to the monos.

+1

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I only use bullets using depleted Uranium cores for full penetration.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Seriously, when I used to have a lot of mixed loads left over from testing,which could mean C&C round nose or spire, mono's, mixed bullet weights, charges, primers, velocities per caliber and cartridge, I often dumped the lot during culls which could be a couple of dozen animals to a hundred and more at a time and there really was no standout failures if placed well.

The exception was when the property owner was there with us, every now and then he would call "round nose" as he could tell both by sounds and reaction, when they were slipped into the mix.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Huntz,

Quite a while ago some rifle loony called me out of the blue, mostly to list his theories on almost everything. I can only remember one, which was: "I refuse to use bullets unless they're bonded!" I was tempted to ask about licensed and insured as well, but somehow refrained.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by Palidun
Having used a pretty big spectrum of hunting bullets on game and reading the notes of their performance in my reloading manuals. It appears that fast expansion and even a bit of shrapnel Kills a bit to a lot quicker than the bullets that retain a lot of their weight. And even more horrifying it appears that certain brands of cup and core bullets are very fast killers of game if placed in the ribs. Ballistic Tips, Gamekings, Interloks and Hotcors in the midweights really seem to put game on the ground fast.

You'll never ever see me using those explosive bullets again!

IME, it depends on velocity.

No size fits all...

DF

Absolutely. A bullet design for a 300 Savage will not be work at least for me in my 300 WM.

If loaded in the 300 Savage they might not be explosive.

I should have been more explicit.

I've had a Sierra Game 165 grain bullet shot out of an 06 that didn't travel through the doe's shoulder. To me that meant it was too explosive for an '06. But it might be OK in a 300 Savage. Each bullet design is good for certain velocities. With the new high tech bullets the velocity spread is much wider than the older cup and core bullets. I agree with you (Dirtfarmer) and as I said I should have been more exact in my answer. Some of the cup and core bullets are better than others though as they have a wider velocity spread of acceptable performance, in my opinion. So, if I were to be hunting a Mule Deer and was expecting a 250 yard shot, but came up on one 10 yards away (say angling away) it would be much better if I had a partition or other bullet designed for a wide range of velocity than a bullet that was designed for optimum performance 2300 to 2700 fps and I was using a rifle that was pushing the bullet 3,000 fps from the muzzle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All this discussion is the reason I find the Partition so compelling. It is essentially a C&C in the front with a go-through-anything at any speed part in the back. A truly remarkable design.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Huntz,

Quite a while ago some rifle loony called me out of the blue, mostly to list his theories on almost everything. I can only remember one, which was: "I refuse to use bullets unless they're bonded!" I was tempted to ask about licensed and insured as well, but somehow refrained.

Reminds me of over heard bullet discussions at the local pawn shop-Gun store.I just listen and giggle in my mind!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Huntz,

Sorry about that. The Tumbleweeds were flowin'.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
If I had to choose only one cartridge/bullet combo for deer it would a 270 and a 140 AccuBond.

Of course lots of other bullets work great as well.

This^^^^.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Woody (or anyone) is it true Hornady dropped the SST from production or at least in some calibers? Looking for some 150gr 303s...

Currently out of production. Here's the latest production list that I've seen published. Don't know if it's current since it's the 2014 list.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/2014ProductionList6302014.pdf

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by SamOlson
If I had to choose only one cartridge/bullet combo for deer it would a 270 and a 140 AccuBond.

Of course lots of other bullets work great as well.

This^^^^.

That combo could have been the original stimulus for the McFlame gunstock... shocked

Just saying... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by BobinNH
... stouter construction helps on bigger animals while hurting nothing in the slightest on smaller stuff. wink

Stouter construction may help on the bigger stuff, but I wouldn't agree that there is no trade-off for smaller stuff. By way of example I shot a number of water buffalo with the Woodleigh 286 gn PP in my 9.3x74R, and they worked well, but the same bullet on several large pigs worked quite poorly really, penciling through with minimal expansion. It didn't kill nearly as well as the 220gn CorLokt I used in a borrowed .30/06 on the same trip, on much the same shots. Side-by-side comparison with Woodleigh's 286gn RN in the same calibre suggested that it would have been a better choice too, working well on both a couple of dozen buffalo and about that many big pigs - perhaps better matched to the velocity.

FWIW for the general run of deer and pigs and goats I hunt I happily use fairly soft bullets, simply because of how well they work for me. For my .30/06 for example I generally use Winchester's 150 gn Power Point, which not only shoots very accurately in my rifle but kills well on this sort of game. I remember one day for example when I took 21 pigs with 22 rounds - the extra one probably not needed but used to finish the only pig still moving after being hit. This load has also dropped quite a number of deer in their tracks. I use a similar bullet in other calibres, with similar results.

oz: This may be a cultural thing, unique to Oz and Africa. smile

Making a jump from water buffalo to pigs was not exactly what I was talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of the guy who takes his 270 or 280,or 30/06 after everything from pronghorn to bull elk or moose in the same season, for which leaving the Barnes TTSX at home because it may not be theoretically "perfect" for the deer sized stuff(the deer MIGHT take a step or two more with lung shots), but very good for the bull elk,is not how I'd role. I'd rather shoot the deer with the elk bullet than shoot the elk with the deer bullet.

Never having shot a water buffalo, I can intuitively imagine that a tough bullet,driven at modest 9.3x74 velocities,and intended to deal with buffalo weighing (what?) 1500-1700 pounds,might not be your best bet for the cross canyon elk, or 200# pigs at any distance,and i can see the pigs being drilled with lung shots and going a distance.

Me, I'd shoot them on the shoulder with a 375H&H.....Rhetorical question,.but why people judge the worth of BG bullets based on lung shots only, is beyond me,since animals have bones.

So, that being said, I will stand by what I stated before...and to put it in context,I'd reach for the Partition or TTSX for the uses I stated.I've seen far more consistent and reliable results on deer to elk sized game from Partitions (and other "controlled expanding bullets")than from anything else I've seen used or used myself.

I have seen that 150 PP used on deer and bull elk. It did a good job on both but certainly no better than stouter stuff I've used.

Personally I never understood the fuss over C&C bullets vs those of more robust construction,which are demonized by some as being "unnecessary", or too expensive, or over penetrate,or whatever other imaginary characteristics they might have. The job of any BG bullet is to penetrate and expand....day in and day out penetration is more important,and in the better designs expansion is more controlled over a wider velocity spectrum and more types of mediums than most C&C's can muster.

That skinny jacket is really old technology. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bob,

Well reasoned, well stated.

As always.

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll always err on the side of penetration.

I'm guessing bullet 'cost' might be a factor when I start shooting 500 head of big game animals a year.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, I hear stuff about bullet costs.

If I was target shooting and buying them by the thousands, that's an issue.

For hunting and shooting a few rounds each season, performance is center stage, cost not even on the radar screen. Most of my shooting is working up loads. Once I have an optimal load for a particular gun, I load a few boxes and it doesn't get shot that much. Especially since I have a number of hunting rifles.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Most of my shooting is working up loads. Once I have an optimal load for a particular gun, I load a few boxes and it doesn't get shot that much. Especially since I have a number of hunting rifles.

DF

Justification for having only one gun!

But then, you'd have to turn in your Loony card.... grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to disagree, but, many hunters, who shoot a few dozen shots a year, worry more about cost than the target shooters who shoot the most. Accuracy guys will not compromise on their equipment, targets do not bleed, but they do tell they story in a very clear way.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.