Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
.50 T/C Scout Carbine, walnut and blued, shot very little and with the T/C receiver peep installed; $100 out the door. Couldn't pass that up.

I haven't check the twist yet, but I am fairly sure it's an earlier one with the 1-20" twist. I have a System 1 carbine with the same twist, so I'm familiar with feeding it long, heavy conicals over FFFg Goex.

First modification contemplated is to to acquire a couple more of the nipple/breech plug assemblies from Track of the Wolf and have at least one machined to take a standard 1/4-28 nipple. From there, try musket caps.

Anyone else got one of these little oddballs from pre-S&W, pre-fire T/C?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had one when they 1st came out, years ago, it didnt shoot round balls very good, but was ok with the conicals! I saw a nice one at a gun show a few weeks ago the wanted 450.00 for it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the price made it a no-brainer. The receiver sight is worth at least $100. grin

I had a chance to buy one of these years ago and didn't, and for around the same price. I had always wished I had, so this one just had to come home.

Now, to find a load it likes and kills some stuff with it.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good snag for a C note! I have the handgun version in .54 cal. with an extra .45 barrel. Have to admit I haven't shot it much though. It's pretty lively with 70 grains 3F and a Great Plains bullet. Unless you have a source of RWS musket caps I wouldn't bother, the new CCIs are weaker than #11s.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always though they were too oogly,...... until I saw some of the later stuff.

$100 is a great price. I'd be all over that, especially the handgun version.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$100 if it has a clean bore and tools, is a damn good price. You are right about the peep sight, at least $100 bucks. Nice grab.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't the handgun version, but yeah, I'd love to find one of those, too.

The bore is spotless. No tools with it, but I have plenty of ML tools, and takedown is simple anyway (comparatively speaking).

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I had a rifle in 50 cal, very accurate, had it drilled and tapped for a lyman peep, iirc I shot the 460 gr no excuse bullet over FFFG black powder.

Still have a T/C Scout pistol in 54 cal, the 535 gr no excuse bullets over 110 gr FFG is a pure blast to fire, havent killed anything with it but that sombitch rocks, have shot it so much the finish is gone from the back of the action around the nipple. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My buddy shoots a T/C Scout.
He likes it, short, accurate with a patched round ball, and puts deer down.
Cleaning takes a bit longer than our sidelocks but he's really meticulous.
PM me if you can use a spare nipple.I've got one (New) around home and will take a look for it when I get back from FL.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I've had a .54Cal Scout Rifle (not a carbine) for many years. Had a few misfires with pyrodex so I talked to T/C about it back in the "good old days" and was told that the Scouts were made to shoot black powder with it's lower ignition point. I then modified the nipple/breech plug to take 1/4-28 nipples and tried out musket caps. That worked fine but the fragments from the caps blew back in my face and made it very unpleasant to shoot. My son flat out refuses to shoot it with musket caps. Maybe I'll try a Mag-Spark nipple for 209 primers. May have to modify the receiver a bit but I already have the 1/4-28 threads.

Simon Peter got it right: Mathew 16.16
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is the breech plug/nipple a single unit not threaded for a standard nipple?

I've never seen one in the flesh. A friend was given one that had been "rode hard and put away wet", and I think it was beyond saving.

What fresh Hell is this?
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The nipple/breechplug is a single unit. I plan to acquire a couple spares and have at least one machined to take a 1/4-28 removable nipple.

Pappy, ask what happened to the one your friend was given. A "project" might be a good thing for me. wink

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
7.25#, 1-20" twist, flat brass buttplate.

I think an 80-90 grain charge of FFFg under a 460-470 grain conical will be sufficient for any critters I might hunt, likely get decent accuracy out of the little rifle, and certainly let me know when it goes off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
7.25#, 1-20" twist, flat brass buttplate.

I think an 80-90 grain charge of FFFg under a 460-470 grain conical will be sufficient for any critters I might hunt, likely get decent accuracy out of the little rifle, and MOST certainly let me know when it goes off.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a Scout with the Rynite stock. I doubt I've fired it in the ten years I've lived here in Wyoming. Took a couple of whitetails with it back in Maryland. Don't remember the load but it involved lead conicals in sabots.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have both of them In wood stocks one 50. one 54 was never shot could sell it have the book an tool it box gone

Last edited by savage62; 04/25/15.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by savage62
I have both of them In wood stocks one 50. one 54 was never shot could sell it have the book an tool it box gone

Wow! Difficult to read / comprehend what you wrote above. Your Scout came with a tool box and someone took it? confused

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where does it say someone took it, box is gone must be a teacher hey

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$100, you did good! I always thought those were neat little rifles, kind of a traditional inline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 77 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.