Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sns2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone ever have a bent barrel? Guy I know just bought a new rifle and I could swear as you look at the barrel it appears bowed.

Last edited by sns2; 04/18/15.
BP-B6

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pats got one.

But its on a shotgun so it doesn't matter.

But he shoots it VERY well...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It helps curve bullets around objects

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The lefty stainless Ruger Hawkeye 223s had the issue. JiminIdaho and the former member formerly known as Bricktop, before he got booted out of here, had one. Ruger had a batch of bad barrels but made it right.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had one on a Rem. 700 Youth in 7mm08.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Winchester Featherweight from a local gunsmith about 15-16 years ago. He had two of them in .30-06 and .270. He told me both had bent barrels and he had bought them cheap for the actions and stocks. I bought one and had it rebarreled to .257 Roberts.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've seen a misaligned barrel/action - had major issues with scope mounting (ran out of adjustment on the scope).

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen chambers that were off center.

S
sns2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
The lefty stainless Ruger Hawkeye 223s had the issue. JiminIdaho and the former member formerly known as Bricktop, before he got booted out of here, had one. Ruger had a batch of bad barrels but made it right.

This one is also a rugger hawk eye

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by laker

Don't let critters know they are no longer protected when they stand behind trees. Bullets fired from the matrix hunting rifle inevitably find the vitals.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the offending Ruger .223 in person. Look about halfway down the barrel. Funny thing is it actually shot decent groups except they were about 14" high with the scope elevation adjustment bottomed out.

[Linked Image]

Another view. Look out toward the muzzle and compare the line of the barrel on the right side with the line on the left.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Originally Posted by laker

Don't let critters know they are no longer protected when they stand behind trees. Bullets fired from the matrix hunting rifle inevitably find the vitals.

Only works with berger bullets though smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I nearly had a bent barrel when I hooked my barrel on a gate post while driving the ATV through. It bowed back against the holders and flung the rifle about 10 yards out in front of me. I just knew the barrel had to be bent. To test it I shot a doe in the head at 150 yards. All is well that ends well.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Here's the offending Ruger .223 in person. Look about halfway down the barrel. Funny thing is it actually shot decent groups except they were about 14" high with the scope elevation adjustment bottomed out.

[Linked Image]

Holy moly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang!

That would almost be worth keeping as a conversation piece.

It's going back, I presume.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That picture was taken two years ago. It was part of a run of maybe 16 or 17 LH stainless .223 Hawkeyes they did and from reports here and on Accurate Reloading I seem to recall that four of them had bent barrels. Could have been more but that's all I heard of.

Ruger replaced the barrel for free, of course, including shipping back to them. It's not the most accurate rifle I own but manages to put four shots in the .8's or .9's pretty consistently - without having to max out the elevation adjustment. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen plenty of bent barrels, the most recent was a 300SAUM Seven. It shot poorly and is now getting a 7SAUM taleoff barrel.

Far more important than what the outside says the bore is more important. Some are bent and concentric, but some are straight with crooked bores while others are bent externally and fairly straight internally...

Some I have seen shoot pretty well despite the bend.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've seen one on a Colt ar15; light barreled 16" carbine. It was brand new and bent to the left like the above Ruger.

BP

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen one come from the factory with a barrel that was obviously bent looking when you looked down it like the photos show. I've seen plenty that were bent by the owner. Accidents do happen. It is usually fairly easy to correct when an aftermarket problem. I'd send back a new rifle with that problem.
The tricky ones are bent looking on the inside and straight looking on the outside. I never wanted a rifle barrel that had more metal on one side than it did on the other and just usually replaced the barrel on those.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KenMi
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, dickweed.

Yes, I had a bent barrel on my stainless Model 77 Hawkeye. Ruger replaced my barrel and next-day'd it back to me in exactly one month, door-to-door. I never shot the bent barrel, but the current rifle has been pretty damned accurate and I've managed to use it to put the smack down on a fair number of feral hogs over the past two years.

[Linked Image]

You may now return to your regularly scheduled circle jerk, Kenny.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.