-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dam ...I can't say a thing ...I need another beer just to go to sleep an put the food stamp sour dough's (who get the same "so called vote" as u ) out of my mine...dam ....just dam ....u hould see the libs at the legislative office begging for "our moneys" @#$%^&*()_+

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The big uns are all gone frown

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure that's a Columbia river fish, the original Kenai. Too bad we didn't learn from that disaster and save our amazing river before it fell into the sad state it's in these days.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
358----AMEN!!!!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well said kc.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

They say that Alaska is the last frontier. In fact the frontier died with the invention of the bush plane and the satellite phone. But the wilderness does still live in the self reliant attitude of the Alaska residents that I have met. I haven't seen any place else where there is such a big percentage of the population that really lives free and independent lives. The land of the free and home of the brave is alive and well in the Alaska that I have seen.

Lots of truth there. But one doesn't have to travel by air nor use every modern contrivance to enjoy life here.

[Linked Image]

Traveling the state under one's own ambition, even with the aid of modern horsepower devices, still provides a great sense of the immensity of the state. There probably aren't many places anymore where you can drop an 11-year-old on a snow machine and let him traverse 200 miles of country without violating some rule or regulation. There is no small irony when the machine you put him on was constructed by aid of the internet: eBay, from pieces and parts from over 10 states. There are still frontiers; they're just changing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
What I was thinking of was the people chasing "the pot of gold" and heading for Alaska. That's the type that want the reward without the work.

Gold mining, Crab boat fishing and just surviving in the wilderness is no picnic. Work is work...the same as its in the lower states as it is in Alaska.

What I can guess is with these shows on TV, you now have increase in crime, people coming with money and going home with none and people going into the wilderness and never being seen again.

There is no free ride to an easy life.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
.... you now have increase in crime, people coming with money and going home with none and people going into the wilderness and never being seen again.

There is no free ride to an easy life.

That has been the story of Alaska since 1898.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
...people coming with money and going home with none and people going into the wilderness and never being seen again.

We could use more of these.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The pot of gold seekers are really nothing new and you can pretty much chase that back to Western contact with the Russian fur traders on through the various waves of gold seekers, the oil boom, and so on.

The good thing about Alaska is the environment has a way of taking care of itself to a degree. There seem to be two types of people who are in Alaska, those who couldn't possibly leave, and those who can't wait to leave. I've yet to meet anywhone who makes enough money for them to justify living in Alaska if the state is not for them.

The biggest problem in Alaska is the social programs that allow those who aren't willing or able to provide for themselves to live off the dole. The majority of the state's budget goes to those using and abusing the system and those government workers whose job it is to help feed, educate, arrest, prosecute, provide medical assistence, rehab or otherwise coddle them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Alaska has almost always been a place where neighbors helped each other and I think the social programs are, in a sense, an extension of that, taken to extreme of course.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
social programs have never been an extension of helping neighbors.

Thats always been good thing to do between neighbors and folks voluntarily. Live in a good place with good folks and it comes natural.

Social programs are Robin Hood so to speak, they don't ask me if I want to contribute to the pool. And I don't get to pick who gets it or how much or what requirements like drug testing, work centers etc... are involved.

Social programs COULD have been a decent thing. But have not been for so many years now. Not only in Alaska, but in the US as a whole.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Undoubtedly these social programs attract a pile of people to Alaska and many of those are foreign born.

I don't feel that my tax dollars are owed to foreign born and damned few US citizens. The various social services programs and "entitlements" are only part of the cost as I see a huge taking of wildlife by the same people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vern's right on all of the above

and I'm in total agreement

one other aspect to life in AK that I forgot to mention though

and it's a BIGGIE

if you know Vern, life in AK is golden

if you don't it can be a struggle

sorry for the earlier oversite el Presidente!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You know Vern, but you don't know Jack!

Buzinga! laugh

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by VernAK

I don't feel that my tax dollars are owed to foreign born and damned few US citizens.

Vern for President 2016!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
You know Vern, but you don't know Jack!

Buzinga! laugh

Jack who? Mehoff? blush

why don't you ever pick on someone that has control of their faculties? grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
(almost) sorry bud.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

The biggest problem in Alaska is the social programs that allow those who aren't willing or able to provide for themselves to live off the dole. The majority of the state's budget goes to those using and abusing the system and those government workers whose job it is to help feed, educate, arrest, prosecute, provide medical assistence, rehab or otherwise coddle them.

Well said!

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC
Lippy:

I'll give you a nonresident's view of what Alaska is and is not. I am a nonresident and I have visited Alaska on trips that lasted from a week to three weeks, ten times since 1987, doing climbing expeditions and hunting trips.

I haven't spent much time in the big cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. Mostly just passing through. So can't offer any meaningful insight regarding them. Nor do I know anything regarding employment. However, I've spent enough time in Anchorage and other cities on the road system to learn that prices there are only slightly higher than the lower 48. Juneau and Kodiak are big enough that prices there are only about 10% higher than the lower 48. Prices in hub communities are often double that and prices are even higher in bush communities.

I live in Colorado and there are a bunch of designated wilderness areas in my state. But the "wilderness areas" in Colorado are small and accessible compared to those in Alaska. At one time or another most of the wilderness areas in the lower 48 have been impacted by logging, mining, ranching, etc.

I have spent time on each trip in the Alaska wilderness and there is a lot of it. Alaska is big. Really big. In Alaska there are VAST tracts of unspoiled, mostly untouched land. You don't know what wilderness is until you land on a gravel bar 100 miles from the nearest habitation and then watch the bush plane leave.

They say that Alaska is the last frontier. In fact the frontier died with the invention of the bush plane and the satellite phone. But the frontier still lives in the self reliant attitude of the Alaska residents that I have met. I haven't seen any place else where there is such a big percentage of the population that really lives free and independent lives. The land of the free and home of the brave is alive and well in the Alaska that I have seen.

KC

In reality, in most Alaska places it's a lot more expensive to live than most places in the lower-48. I am referring to the cost of living, not just certain products. And yes, there are a few places in the left and right coasts (CA, NYC, Boston) where the cost of living is higher than Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. But take this into consideration: the cost of living in Fairbanks and Juneau this winter was around 136 points (some winters around 140 points). Anchorage's was a tad lower, however. A lot of places in the lower-48 the cost of living ranges from the mid 80s to the 90s.

For details, visit this page and open the link to "Winter 2014," then look at the Cost Of Living in pages 28-32:
http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/communityplanning/CRC/default.htm

By the way, the last time I visited Lost Anchorage was maybe 25 years ago, and for a moment I felt as if I was in South Korea. Back in the 70's there were a good mix of races, with lots of "pale-face" folks in between. Anchorage today, no idea smile

Last edited by Ray; 04/25/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ray
years ago, and for a moment I felt as if I was in South Korea. Back in the 70's there were a good mix of races, with lots of "pale-face" folks in between. Anchorage today, no idea smile
I had to cook for 100+ a jewel lake park two years ago .....between the music and "people" ...I felt we were the only American's there > all day-it was verified by some old dude with a dog/big beard and a bottle...I agreed, by the way I have had to do the same job/cook since than ...I "gold streak it" from the banks smirk .....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 65 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.