Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I run amax exclusively as my target bullet and also as a deer dropper when hunting urban.
However, were I to be paying for a hunt I wouldn't use them. Not because they don't work, but because I want to be able to take any distance and angle I get a chance to.
When I'm hunting on my dime and time I can pass if I can't take a head shot.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Why not use something that will penetrate all the time, not just when you get a perfect hit?

Why not use what you want, and leave it at that?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I feel sorry for the wounded elk when one blows up under the hide. Use a bullet that'll put it down every time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did you actually read the OP, or just climb straight into your pulpit? Did you notice how the OP qualified his use of this bullet?

Did you perchance see the dead elk?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I feel sorry for the wounded elk when one blows up under the hide. Use a bullet that'll put it down every time.

Yes, amaxs are made with pressed wet glitter.
We tested a few on wet single ply toilet tissue and couldn't get a single one to penetrate.
Going to retry with sunbleached saran wrap.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From Hornady's web site.

A-MAX®
Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting.

'nough said.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'nough said? wink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mentioned this in another thread within the past few weeks, but will again now: Over the decades I've seen far more bullets "designed" for big game come apart and fail to penetrate sufficiently than target bullets come apart and fail to penetrate sufficiently.

In fact, I have yet to see a "target" bullet fail in that way, though admittedly none were used for the dreaded rear-end shot that some people seem to think is so common especially for "trophy" hunting. But the so-called big game bullets, suppoedly designed for the job, came apart on pretty normal shots into the shoulders of some deer-sized animals, and so far I haven't seen that happen with any of the target bullets placed in shoulders.

This doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but these results do indicate that just because some company suggests XYZ bullet is suitable for big game doesn't mean it's infallible. Or because they say a certain target bullet isn't meant for big game doesn't mean it won't work well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
People read to much and think to much. That said use what works for you. I kill a lot of animals with the 178gr A-Max, don't think they would have died any faster if I hit the with a TTSX or partition DRT is dead right there

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ribka

If I drew a big bull rifle tag I would choose a partition over the amax any day.

Regarding broad head vs bullet. I know they act in completely different ways. We re told in the bow hunting community that you need an arrow approaching 300 FPS per second with expandable broadheads to kill and slow does not work . Well that is a myth too as a heavy arrow ( over 500 grns) with a good sharp COC broad head will easily penetrate well even if it is going a mere 170 to 180 FPS .

If would say a cow elk deserves the same respect. I have also shot some really big cows

The only people I have heard saying you need a 300 fps arrow are the bow manufacturers.

That said, the bullet works IN YOUR HANDS, and it is the right choice for you, but not for me. And IMO not for novice shooters/hunters either.

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/18/15.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

So don't use one. The OP didn't try to convince anyone his bullets were "the best," did he? He just posted information on how a particular bullet worked for him, and even included photos. I like reading that kind of information. Doesn't mean I need to run out and buy 123 Amaxes, or tell him why his choice is wrong.
[/quote]

You post such a thread on an open forum and you will get pushback. Just a fact. Why do I feel the need? Because there are a lot of young impressionable guys out there reading these and I don't want them to think that most guys just agree with what is being said.

You post such on the internet, you have to accept the opposite view. I am happy to read and think about guys opinions like this one, but I have just as much right to post my opinion. His opinion didn't upset me and mine shouldn't you.

Venor ergo sum
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk killing threads are always good entertainment.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by txhunter58
You post such a thread on an open forum and you will get pushback.

Please tell me which opinions, facts, or points the OP posted that you're "pushing back" on.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The AMP jackets just add the extra that makes it a strong choice. However...I wouldn't want to spend my limited hunting days pursuing a wounded animal because the lo all do rates that a hit burns a tag.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ribka
I have always examined animals after I shoot them when I dress them to see how bullet or broad head performed. From squirrels to moose caribou I have shot.

I noticed deer that I shot with the amax died very quickly ( good thing) and the amax bullet did not explode as most would think even though I hit bone. So I started shooting the amax into cow and elk bones in front of wet phone books.

Penetration seemed good. So opted to use it for this cow elk hunt. You can see from pics the amax performed well and animal died a very quick humane death. The bullet did not explode when it hit the shoulder and rib bones and did exit far side of the animal. I am not advocating that amax are superior to partitions I posted this because the amax and other BT bullets I have taken game with worked quite well and they did not "explode" when they hit bones in the animal. Now based on my experience I would not use the Hornady SST on elk because of personal experience and examine deer I have killed with this bullet. Others may disagree.

If I drew a big bull rifle tag I would choose a partition over the amax any day.

Regarding broad head vs bullet. I know they act in completely different ways. We re told in the bow hunting community that you need an arrow approaching 300 FPS per second with expandable broadheads to kill and slow does not work . Well that is a myth too as a heavy arrow ( over 500 grns) with a good sharp COC broad head will easily penetrate well even if it is going a mere 170 to 180 FPS .

Agreed on the SST. Good post.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Terminal ballistic research out of new Zealand talks of how surprisingly well the a max bullet preforms.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Please tell me which opinions, facts, or points the OP posted that you're "pushing back" on.

His implied opinion that this is an OK bullet to use on an elk hunt. And his opinion that it is OK to use on a cow, but not on "the bull of the woods". I think in his hands, within the parameters that he talks about, that is true, but want others out there to know that many of us would not consider this bullet to be adequate in our hands for elk hunt with all the uncertainties they bring with them.

That said, if I were 80 yards from an elk that was standing still broadside or slightly quartering away and all I had was the set up he used, would I hesitate. Not a second. But on that same elk hunt, if a cow presented at 250 yards with a not so ideal angle, I would have to let her walk with that bullet. He pretty much said that exact thing. My point is that with a different bullet, you would not have to pass on the second shot, so why would I take a bullet that I consider has limitations?

I'm confused, did you expect only like minded guys who agree with him to respond?

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/19/15.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Terminal ballistic research out of new Zealand talks of how surprisingly well the a max bullet preforms.

Could be that the bullet is built better than the company claims it is. Hey, before the nosler, millions upon millions of animals died to bullets LESS well built than the A-max.

And the self testing with bones is pretty impressive too.

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

His implied opinion that this is an OK bullet to use on an elk hunt. And his opinion that it is OK to use on a cow, but not on "the bull of the woods". I think in his hands, within the parameters that he talks about, that is true, but want others out there to know that many of us would not consider this bullet to be adequate in our hands for elk.

With his results, and the limitations he stated I'm not sure how you can argue with anything he said. His opinion was not implied, it was clearly stated that he thinks the bullet is OK for short range double-lung rib shots on cow-sized animals. And he showed the proof to back it up. How many animals have you shot with these bullets?

And you're putting your own spin on what he said about using a different bullet for bulls; he also qualified that by using the word "big."

As in, a bigger animal may need a stouter bullet. Big bulls are bigger than big cows. It has nothing to do with how you spun it, and everything to do with the size of the animal.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Said my piece and we will never agree, so I agree to disagree. More than one way to "kill an elk"

Venor ergo sum
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have any of you ever said/thought "if I had a (?) magnum or (?) premium bullet I would take the shot, but since I only have (?) I won't".

Not me, I've either had a good shot or I didn't.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.