Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Hey folks,

I'm wondering, based on recent weather and herd trends if it is worth burning out-of-state preference/bonus points on NV and WY antelope? I have a good number in each state - something like 9 in NV and 8 in WY.

Should I think about burning points in either state?

Thanks for any insight and thoughts.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Contact the guts and feathers biologists in SW WY. If you need help on who PM me. I will look into it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks Keith, will do. My gut says sit on the points, but it won't hurt to hear from one of the biologists.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rest assured that Nevada will be extremely dry this year. Great in that it concentrates the animals around the last of the water, but it also concentrates the hunters.

Same condtions in SE Oregon and I think I'm going to pull my application this year.

1Minute
A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
1minute,

My comment about water is more related to horn growth than locating them, but I hear what you're saying about being concentrated near waterholes.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drought years might not be the wisest time to use your points. I did my NW NV antelope hunt in 2013, was disappointed in what I saw.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, a well known pronghorn guide is of the opinion that the current year's weather may not be as determinant of horn growth than the weather the year the buck was born. In other words, a drought this year would not impact horn size as much as a drought the year the buck was born.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Thanks Keith, will do. My gut says sit on the points, but it won't hurt to hear from one of the biologists.

I've done a little research and am sitting on my 6 Wyoming PPs but not on my butt; buying doe tags & heading out for a few days just to be there!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
FWIW, a well known pronghorn guide is of the opinion that the current year's weather may not be as determinant of horn growth than the weather the year the buck was born. In other words, a drought this year would not impact horn size as much as a drought the year the buck was born.

and who pray tell would that be?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.pronghornguideservice.com/our-records.html

He has posted on another forum discussing this topic.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob,

Buy another point this year. We're the driest in modern history, and the animals are showing the stress, especially herd animals like antelope.

Things were bad enough in 2013 when I took my last ever NV antelope as a resident. I can't apply again until 2019, and would need 4-6 years of points after that. At my age it dials me out forever now.

I am going to put the grandson in for anterless for his first year big game hunting this season. I hope that tells you what you need to know. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Interesting concept.

A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by efw

I've done a little research and am sitting on my 6 Wyoming PPs but not on my butt; buying doe tags & heading out for a few days just to be there!!

I'll probably just buy points. Hopefully since I live out west, I can find plenty to keep me busy.

Good luck with the hunts though!

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Bob,

Buy another point this year. We're the driest in modern history, and the animals are showing the stress, especially herd animals like antelope.

Things were bad enough in 2013 when I took my last ever NV antelope as a resident. I can't apply again until 2019, and would need 4-6 years of points after that. At my age it dials me out forever now.

I am going to put the grandson in for anterless for his first year big game hunting this season. I hope that tells you what you need to know. wink

Bruce, wish I had read this before I sat down and filled out in my NV draws! That's ok, put in for mostly NW areas that I'm now hoping would take more points than I have. If I get drawn, maybe we'll have to "pencil in" the adventure regardless of what things look like!

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Akbob5; 04/18/15.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...the adventure...

'Nuf said.

A
Akbob5 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I hear ha, thanks. Pretty sure I can turn a NV tag back in, which if I get drawn might be what I do. A wise man doesn't ignore smart advice....especially when he specifically asks for it. smile

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob how far are ya from way over here? PM me

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

I know Eli and these guys live/breath pronghorns, obsessed is the word.

If they say it, I wouldn't doubt it.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

I know Eli and these guys live/breath pronghorns, obsessed is the word.

If they say it, I wouldn't doubt it.

Kent
That they do and keep the records to be able to make some very educated guesses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Bob,

Bruce, wish I had read this before I sat down and filled out in my NV draws! That's ok, put in for mostly NW areas that I'm now hoping would take more points than I have. If I get drawn, maybe we'll have to "pencil in" the adventure regardless of what things look like!

I'll keep you posted.

How did you do in the draw???

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.