Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Gentlemen.. In the market for a mid to upper grade AR and these two seem to both be highly thought of in their respective price ranges. Use will be target only so not concerned about weight.

I know a few folks here like their RRA's but I haven't seen much chatter about the stag products. Don't know about the RRA barrel but stag uses ER Shaw on their model 6.

The stag does come in at a few bucks less and comes with a 1/2 gaurantee for what's it's worth.
Believe both guns have 1/8 so up to and including the 75amax should fly I assume..
Any opinions or advise to help me decide is much obliged!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All I can witness to is my Rock River Varmint Special. I really like the quality of their build and the 3/4" accuracy guarantee must have meant with ball ammo on a bad day, as mine will shoot much better than that with Black Hills red box stuff and even better with my handloads.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Rock River Predator Pursuit does exactly as advertised. Mine and two owned by friends shoot sub 1 moa out to 300 yds at least. I don't know anybody who owns a Stag so I can't comment.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know if all the little things matter such as staked gas key, proper extractor spring and insert, proper buffer, proper steel bolt carrier/bolt etc etc. For a hunting or hobby gun I think not to most folks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a Predator Pursuit 20" upper half a couple years ago, so far really like it. I'll agree with the others above that it meets and exceeds the 3/4" accuracy guarantee. It has functioned well on 2 different lowers for me for a few hundred rounds. I have no idea if it's up to the task of real hard tactical grade usage, it seems Jimmyp thinks not, but I think they're at least good to go for hunting/recreational use and reasonably priced if you want a factory rifle.

If I was looking for a rifle like you want though, I'd also price/research builds from places like WOA and Precision Firearms.

Also, I think you may have trouble running 75 amax inside AR mag length, and single feeding an AR doesn't sound appealing to me. 75 BTHP is doable I think. I'm going to be trying out some of the new Sierra 69 TMK's in mine.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't know if all the little things matter such as staked gas key, proper extractor spring and insert, proper buffer, proper steel bolt carrier/bolt etc etc. For a hunting or hobby gun I think not to most folks.

If it fails in any way that helps a lot of people to bad mouth the overall design.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The design has been refined over it's lifetime. Refined to a point that a properly built AR-15 will run with any other platform out there.

The problem is or at least was, some companies cut corners figuring most folks won't shoot one often enough to know the difference. And by their sales, they were right. I was in a position to see a few of the problems that popped up first hand. Enough that I will never buy any gun that strays from the proper way to build them. Having a semi auto turn into a single shot or seeing a broken receiver extension or having extraction problems will do that to you regardless of how itty bitty it's 3 shot groups are.

Of the two, Stag would be my choice.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the input guys..again it seems most are pretty pleased with their rock rivers.
Ed what handloads are you shooting and what type of accuracy are you getting? I didn't think about the Amax and magazine confines, that's something to consider tho I just threw the amax out there. I don't HAVE to shoot that bullet.

TWR I really don't know what constitutes a "properly put together" AR as I've never tinkered with them much let alone built one. If you care to go into any more detail im all ears....That's the biggest reason I'll likely go with one of the reputable names assembled offerings.

Last edited by Certifiable; 04/19/15.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
The design has been refined over it's lifetime. Refined to a point that a properly built AR-15 will run with any other platform out there.

The problem is or at least was, some companies cut corners figuring most folks won't shoot one often enough to know the difference. And by their sales, they were right. I was in a position to see a few of the problems that popped up first hand. Enough that I will never buy any gun that strays from the proper way to build them. Having a semi auto turn into a single shot or seeing a broken receiver extension or having extraction problems will do that to you regardless of how itty bitty it's 3 shot groups are.

Of the two, Stag would be my choice.

For the most part, chroming the chamber several decades ago probably made it as reliable as anything else chambered for a straight walled case.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
you don't have much to worry about with a rifle, carbines are where 99% of the problems show up.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The RRCA's are very accurate, I have a Lar 15 with a 16 inch barrel, one of my handloads shot a 100 yard group that measured just under 1/3 of an inch, same load shot a 300 yard group that measured 1 3/4 inch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not even that except with too short of a barrel, bad parts, or no cleaning/over cleaning.

https://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a RRA carbine and it worked! I had them chrome the barrel for me for the extra money, gun was about as accurate as my neighbors 6920 but heavier barrel. I staked the gas key myself did not come from factory that way sold it for a lot less than I paid for it. I would not have a non chromed or non nitrided or non stainless barrel where I live.

We all are going to do what we are going to do anyway and only pay attention to comments here that justify our preordained decision, its just life and I do the same thing. Some people have had 1-2 AR's, some have built, had or shot 25-50 or more AR's. Some shoot 10-20 rounds a month, some shoot 200-500, some shoot 2000-5000. We all learn from our mistakes/experiments...I sold my eotech... whistle

I have a RRA varmint with a 20" heavy barrel. It is a tack driver. It shoots 69 grain SMK thru a ragged 1 hole at 100 yards.Also shoots 50 grain VMAX's well to for Varmints. Best of luck with your choice.

Life Time NRA Member!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My RRA gas key was properly staked.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes I would want to check that and other things. Do some looking around on the internet other than here, there are a lot of articles written on parts, which ones are important, who uses what etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
yes I would want to check that and other things. Do some looking around on the internet other than here, there are a lot of articles written on parts, which ones are important, who uses what etc.

On average, the bolt, bolt carrier, and barrel are the wild cards as far as US made stuff goes(poly uppers and lowers are best to avoid) and having a fair chance of failing fairly quickly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,653
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.