Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well if I decide to go with this, it already has a VX-2 3-9x40 w/CDS on the way. $249 at Cabelas! A couple boxes of 168gn Gold Medal Match to see how it shoots too. Since nobody else has commented on how they shoot, I guess I'll have to give a try.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The few groups I've seen posted indicate the Alpine shoots well, which is not surprising as most Howas do. Are you dead set on a 308? There's a 257 Kimber MT for sale in the classifieds. As much as I like Howas, I'd go with a Kimber over the Alpine because I prefer stainless steel over Cerakoted bluing, weight reduction coming from the receiver rather than mostly the barrel, and a single stage trigger over a two-stage.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks. Definitely going to be a .308. It's what he wants. Lots of target shooting, some deer hunting and some future elk trips with me. He does not reload so I think it's a great choice.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look what arrived at my local gun shop today! One each Howa Alpine Mtn Rifle in .308.

[Linked Image]

I really like the feel of it. Very similar to an 84M. I'm sure once I get the scope on it will feel noticeably heavier, but still not bad at all. Fit and finish are very nice. It comes with both the bottom metal and mag and a detachable mag. The bottom metal has some tooling marks inside the trigger guard, but overall I am very pleased. Next step is to put the Talleys and the VX-2 3-9x40 w/CDS on it and shoot it. Two boxes of 168 GMM ammo awaits.

Here you can see the grip has a bit tighter radius than the 84M.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would appreciate a range report.

Good to see that thing at the 5lb mark.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What's the general opinion on the polymer box mag assembly?

Seems like it could turn a Howa into an alternative to the Ruger Gunsite Scout if it is reliable and sturdy enough.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Took it to the range today for the first time. Some good things and some questions. As to the question about the box mag, I am having an issue with it feeding. I can't decide if the mag is just about 1mm too low, or the spring is not strong enough to hold the back of the case up against the bolt while it's getting pushed forward and the bullet is hitting the feed ramp. The rim ends up dropping below the bolt face most of the time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The groups were fine, for the most part, but I had an issue with POI. Not sure if that's me or something is amiss. I was shooting off a couple simple bags. I set it aside to cool after each group while I shot a different rifle. After shooting 10 rounds breaking it and sighting it in, I shot a few three shot groups.

First group was fine:
[Linked Image]

3rd shot on second group left me scratching my head.
[Linked Image]

Third group was again reasonable.
[Linked Image]

Groups 4 and 5 (left to right). Things that make you go hmmm. Why did the groups go up so much? Just like that earlier 3rd shot. I then adjusted the scope down three clicks between 4 and 5 (and yes I verified that's what I actually did thinking maybe I adjusted it right). I effectively got a 3+ click right impact.
[Linked Image]

Could be me doing something weird I suppose. It is a brand new scope (Leupold VX-2). Could something have shifted inside? I will take another proven scope next time. Or, maybe just put the other on prior. I did torque everything to spec and rechecked the action and ring screws afterwards and they were all to spec. There was some contact between the barrel and the forend. That needs to be corrected. Probably bed the action too. However, I don't want to do any of that until I hear back from customer service on the feeding issue.

On a good note, my Kimber 84M still likes the .338 185 TTSX (although not sighted in for that load at the moment).
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...g/Aeki3ZzBvhY/w416-h555-no/IMG_00189.jpg[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the range report. I've been considering an Alpine along with a Kimber or Tikka in 7mm-08.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I put the bottom metal on it and it chambers rounds perfectly. I really think the spring on the detachable is not strong enough.

Tomorrow I plan to fix the contact on the forend, leave the bottom metal on and shoot a box pattern with the scope to check it. I'll have another scope with me. I'm also taking a different bag configuration that will be easier to be consistent with.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keep us all in the loop on this rifle please -

Thanks -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I took it out about a week ago and it (I?) shot terrible. Groups were 1.3 -2.0". That was after bedding it too. Ugh. So, I ordered some Tubb Final Finish, loaded them up and shot all 50 through it tonight. Bore is like glass smooth now. After that I shot a couple groups and they were .75" and 1.0". Now much happier with it. I will still need to fix the spring (or whatever) with the detachable mag. I have not heard back from Howa on that. But I am quite pleased with the rifle. I really like the feel of it. Being a bit heavier, and a .308, it sure is nicer to shoot at the bench than a 338 Fed 84M. This Howa will make a great choice for just about anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear your making progress...

Given the rifle has a relatively skinny barrel, it might shoot more accurately / consistent with a pressure point between the barrel and the forend..

I've used a strip of rubber cut from a car tire inner tube before now and had god results.

Cut the strip long enough to have surplus hanging out of the barrel channel...

Then simply slide it to various positions and give it a try..Once you find a sweet spot, trim and leave in place until you decide if you want more permanent pressure pad..

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am quite happy with how it shoots now. Had I continued to have issues that would have been a good thing to try though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.