Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I finished watching Bearing Sea Gold and I got to thinking about the influx of people all heading to Alaska to strike it rich going for gold or on the crab boats or making a homestead out in the wilderness, living off the land. The easy life!

I can just imagine the type of people all heading to Alaska and all the problems that they are bring with unrealistic ideas of what it takes to live in Alaska....or am I wrong? Just asking.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keeps the Coast Guard in business....

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Nobody died when this 'gold miner' 'docked' at this reef a few hundred yards off-shore.

The salvage contractor who put $1700 in my pocket for a couple days worth of ferrying drums and pumps in my little skiff - just to recover 400 or so gallons of fuel obviously made out better than the gold diggers whose erroneous piloting efforts did. (That seems to be a rather common trait among 'gold booms'.)

These guys had trouble making their way north as well; it involved the Coast Guard then too. (Gold mining sure seems like an expensive hobby.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 04/18/15.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Saw a guy last week who'd hitchhiked up from the L48 to go "live off the land". He made it here with a 44 revolver, 22 rifle, and his cat, as well as his clothes but not much else. He sold his 44 the first day he was in anchortown. Saw him 2 days later and he was asking directions to the copper river. Seems someone told him that the Copper was the place to be so he'd given up finding work and was going to walk to the Copper. Said when he got there he'd head upstream cause that's where the game would be, where he came up with that I don't know.

Said he was only taking the essentials, fire making stuff, tarp, some rope, etc. no mention of water purification, dealing with the hordes of bugs, dealing with -50 winter temps, anything about any pesky hunting seasons or regulations, never mind the vast tracts of private land he'd likely be trespassing upon. Just that Alaska was the last place where he could "live off the land" with nobody telling him he couldn't, even though they kinda are due to things like hunting regs and residency requirements for subsistence hunting and fishing, not to mention squatting on either private or public land that isn't open to homesteading just wherever you want.

Wished him well figuring we'd either read about him in the paper or see him on the street corner with a cardboard sign.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska has changed just like every place in my experience

and while life is easier here, again mostly like every place else.

I'm not certain that's entirely for the good.

anytime you have a boom with good jobs, you attract hard working folks just lookin for a piece of the pie and folks that think they work hard, but really aren't that committed to doing so.

Alaska used to be the last best place, and I'd still rather live here than anywhere else. Lordy but I love this place, and it's been so good to us.

There's still lots of salt of the earth folks up here, but there's way more citified whiney liberals than the old days too it seems.

still a great place to call home and try and be thankful every day I live here.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Saw a guy last week who'd hitchhiked up from the L48 to go "live off the land". He made it here with a 44 revolver, 22 rifle, and his cat, as well as his clothes but not much else. He sold his 44 ....

Didja ask him if he had been reading the Campfire....how any old .22 is all you really need as long as you can aim tight? Was his name Kevin?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw a guy last week who'd hitchhiked up from the L48 to go "live off the land". He made it here with a 44 revolver, 22 rifle, and his cat, as well as his clothes but not much else. He sold his 44 the first day he was in anchortown. Saw him 2 days later and he was asking directions to the copper river. Seems someone told him that the Copper was the place to be so he'd given up finding work and was going to walk to the Copper. Said when he got there he'd head upstream cause that's where the game would be, where he came up with that I don't know.

Said he was only taking the essentials, fire making stuff, tarp, some rope, etc. no mention of water purification, dealing with the hordes of bugs, dealing with -50 winter temps, anything about any pesky hunting seasons or regulations, never mind the vast tracts of private land he'd likely be trespassing upon. Just that Alaska was the last place where he could "live off the land" with nobody telling him he couldn't, even though they kinda are due to things like hunting regs and residency requirements for subsistence hunting and fishing, not to mention squatting on either private or public land that isn't open to homesteading just wherever you want.

Wished him well figuring we'd either read about him in the paper or see him on the street corner with a cardboard sign.

Wonder how he got the firearms through Canada?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
He was fresh off the ferry the first time I saw him. Said he'd not been on a boat for any extended period before and the 4 day ferry ride had him rather rubber legged.

Seemed like a nice enough fellow, just horribly misguided.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Used to be good folks movin up here to raise their kids away from big city temptations and crime

Now the filthy wretched sodomites are infesting skAnchorage, God Damned freaks are everywhere, stay away from upscale restaurants in town lest you get fed by the infected

Legalization of marijuana will lure more freaks in short order

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Funny reading this thread.

The wife and I have been working on purchasing a business and relocating our family to SW Montana. We've run into numerous issues and not sure it is going to happen now.

While preemptively planning for this deal to fall through, we were discussing options. I would like to consider relocating the crew to Alaska, thinking about investigating business options there. Looking for a better place to enjoy our kids as they grow.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska's what you make of it. Personally it's been the best possible place to raise our kids, even with city slicker living. Yes it's an expensive place to live, but if you have reasonable skills that are in demand, you'll be well compensated. It's a horrible place to live if you can't afford to enjoy it, and thats both the money and the time required to enjoy it.

The biggest problem is too many people living off the government teat, but that's not just starry eyed new comers, plenty of them of them born and bred in Alaska and plenty that have been shipped in or snuk in from various 3rd world nations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with 458 on this one. It's been a great place to live and raise a family, but the big cities (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau) are being overrun by freeloaders and liberals; looks like the lower 48.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was fresh off the ferry the first time I saw him. Said he'd not been on a boat for any extended period before and the 4 day ferry ride had him rather rubber legged.

Seemed like a nice enough fellow, just horribly misguided.

Darwin needs to eat too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Most are moving up here for the gold rush of easy food stamps, welfare, medicaid, and pfds. I'm seeing a whole crop of those folks showing up.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
...I got to thinking about the influx of people all heading to Alaska to strike it rich going for gold or on the crab boats or making a homestead out in the wilderness, living off the land.

Anyone that wants to pack supplies up the Chilkoot trail is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Or, maybe you were talking about the more recent influx?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The big uns are all gone frown

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tie a 30-pounder onto 6 lb line and a 5-piece pack rod noodle and it doesn't matter. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice trout! smile

Originally Posted by watch4bear
The big uns are all gone frown

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That guy is "long arming" that fish...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lippy:

I'll give you a nonresident's view of what Alaska is and is not. I am a nonresident and I have visited Alaska on trips that lasted from a week to three weeks, ten times since 1987, doing climbing expeditions and hunting trips.

I haven't spent much time in the big cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. Mostly just passing through. So can't offer any meaningful insight regarding them. Nor do I know anything regarding employment. However, I've spent enough time in Anchorage and other cities on the road system to learn that prices there are only slightly higher than the lower 48. Juneau and Kodiak are big enough that prices there are only about 10% higher than the lower 48. Prices in hub communities are often double that and prices are even higher in bush communities.

I live in Colorado and there are a bunch of designated wilderness areas in my state. But the "wilderness areas" in Colorado are small and accessible compared to those in Alaska. At one time or another most of the wilderness areas in the lower 48 have been impacted by logging, mining, ranching, etc.

I have spent time on each trip in the Alaska wilderness and there is a lot of it. Alaska is big. Really big. In Alaska there are VAST tracts of unspoiled, mostly untouched land. You don't know what wilderness is until you land on a gravel bar 100 miles from the nearest habitation and then watch the bush plane leave.

They say that Alaska is the last frontier. In fact the frontier died with the invention of the bush plane and the satellite phone. But the frontier still lives in the self reliant attitude of the Alaska residents that I have met. I haven't seen any place else where there is such a big percentage of the population that really lives free and independent lives. The land of the free and home of the brave is alive and well in the Alaska that I have seen.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.