Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Let me start by saying I am not an experienced air gun shooter. I bought this for backyard fun. It came with a 4x scope. And I have a few different lead pellets.
My issue is it will not shoot in the same place twice. I cant reliably hit a Coke can at 15 yards. It was very frustrating this weekend when I took it to my buddys house. I was getting my *ss handed to me by his 13 yr old son shooting a worn out 760 pump....lol
Is this just a loss for me? Or is there something I can do?
I did try another scope....not any better quality...just some 3x9 Power Line I had laying around.

Mark

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These spring air guns start to recoil before the pellet even begins to move. So you need a consistent hold, try just laying the fore end in your palm without grasping it. What do you think about the Suppressor, does the gun shoot quiet enough for backyard covert ops?

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The suppressor is ok...my buddy has a Sheridan 5mm and it is way louder. I was shooting off a sandbag...it frustrates me because I had hopes for this rifle....I may buy a Benjamin 397(??) .22 cal pump

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mark,

The 397 is .177 and the 392 is .22. The pumpers are less hold sensitive than the springers. You do have to pump them multiple strokes. Even with iron sights they are capable of "minute of can" accuracy in the backyard. I wouldn't give up on the X20 yet. Have you shot it with just iron sights? There can be a lot of reasons for accuracy issues and a loose scope connection is just one of them, your hold is another, etc, etc.

Last edited by hangmancreek; 04/13/15.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
try shooting it with a artillery hold, there very sensitive about how there held

http://www.airgundepot.com/how-to-get-a-springer-to-shoot-straight-article.html

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep trying different pellets too

I have a Stoeger X-10 that will barely hit a normal sheet of paper at 25 yds with some pellets, and with others will group under an inch at that distance

I've taken out squirrels at a little over 30 yds so far

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
One thing I learned the hard way is that you gotta take those airbguns down and clean them and tighten them up right. I mean everything! At least as far as you are comfortable. You probably have loose screws somewhere. And those jokers will come unbelievably dirty from the factory.

Next you should find some ammo if likes. If you are shooting that high velocity super stuff then it may be why you are flinging shots. Crosman and Benjamin pellets are usually pretty good but for the best results you may want to try a bunch of diffferrnt pellets with different weights and see what works best in your air rifle.

I learned on a lot of the various gear you may buy it's generally a good idea to take it down, look it over, and clean it up/out like you would do any firearm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scope. Lose the glass and try it with the irons as hangman said.

W
W
Another thing is to scrub out the barrel. I read that new air guns can have a lot of crap in the rifling. I bought a .177 cleaning rod and brush and was amazed at how much crap I was able to scrub out.

It improved the accuracy by at least 100%.

Last edited by Wellshooter; 04/19/15.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Like WS said... Give it a good clean. I would take it apart some and clean the crap out of it. Then clean it some more... And then make sure you put it back together tighter as I found sow have loose screws. It has helped all the airguns I have plahed with.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well?

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well...It wasn't the scope. I tried two different scopes. And it does not have iron sights. I kinda gave up on it and its just sitting in a corner.
I have an old .22 cal HW35 but it had a broken trigger guard. My buddy made me a new guard and I have put that rifle back in service...it is awesome and very fun to shoot.
The Stoeger turned out to be more aggravating than interesting so now its just sitting.

Mark

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting timing as I own the same rifle and just took it to the range today. Best I could do was about 1.5 inches for 3 shots at 25 yards off a rest. I tried resting the rifle with as little contact as possible as well as holding it snug and it didn't make any difference.
It is pretty quiet compared to a normal springer but I expected it to shoot under an inch at 25 yards. I'll clean the barrel and see if any screws are loose and try some different pellets next time out.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had hopes for this rifle. If you find something that shoots let me know. I would have been thrilled with 1.5"....Mine is not consistent enough to even call it a group.
When we were shooting my buddy started quoting Eastwood UNFORGIVEN...."....now he's shootin over there..? You don't reckon we're in someone's field?"

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK! Update with some promise.
I took the gun out of the stock. The rear bolt behind the trigger was loose. Not only was it loose the mortis is threads into was also Very loose. The two screws in the forearm were tight but one is bent. It will thread in but it is not square at all. At this point I have no option but to use the bend screw...I will get a replacement. I also may look at strengthening the area around the forearm screw holes. After putting everything back together I got it to shoot a group. Not and amazing group but a group none the less. It was under less than ideal conditions so all things considered I am happier and think it may be salvageable.

Mark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Persistence pays off again.

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I called Stoeger and told them about the bent screw. They are mailing me 2 new ones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a sample pack of pellets and try as many different ones as you can and I bet you will find some that will work much better than others
http://www.pyramydair.com

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.