Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
No large variable, just a plain small to medium variable w/a regular hunting reticle. What say ye fire? powdr

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like the 2 X 7 Viper have 3 think its discontinued.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
not in my opinion.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I like the 2 X 7 Viper have 3 think its discontinued.

I've had 3 of those, & been thrilled. I believe CameralandNY has had (is having?) special runs of that scope made for them - It's probably worth a call to Doug/Joel/Neil (Kneel?).

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll find out over the next month or so if the D'Back HP 4x16x42 was the right choice for Texas ...or the same thing in a 3x12, instead of the Burris 4.5x14x42 I bought, for either the 270 or 300WSM as companion rifles to the T3 260 & 2-10x50 Minox, both of which I also bought this year.

All 3 scopes, for the 3 rifles on hand, were under $300 net net & the $K that I had budgeted for scopes in this Total Make Over. This time next year one the rigs is gonna get swapped off prolly for another 9.3x62 - most likely the 260 & Minox is the only keeper - and who knows what'll be next after that.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
vortex never crosses my mind when it comes to scopes. I think there's always something as good and usually better in the same price ballpark.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
vortex never crosses my mind when it comes to scopes. I think there's always something as good and usually better in the same price ballpark.

Uncle Rico, how would you know if you always think elsewhere?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Long time no see sticky fingers. What I have owned or used works so well, Vortex doesn't enter the equation, and I have used a whole lot of stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For someone entering into the shooting/hunting sports area, Vortex has a lot to offer for the money. Just make sure you baby them. Think about it. Lots of features for a great price point. Where are they cutting corners? THIN tube walls is one. Get much over 15-17 in lbs of ring pressure and you're bound to start impressing the internal mechanisms with less than desirable effects. For the more serious/experienced shooter/hunter who demands/needs reliable optics, look elsewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of their red dots and like it very much, but since Leupolds have always given excellent service and are made here, I see no reason to mess around with other stuff these days. A good scope is a significant purchase for an old, retired guy and if it didn't pan out, it would cause me great anguish. If I wanted to save a few bucks, I'd just buy a VX-1 or a Rifleman, or go used.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GSSP
For someone entering into the shooting/hunting sports area, Vortex has a lot to offer for the money. Just make sure you baby them. Think about it. Lots of features for a great price point. Where are they cutting corners? THIN tube walls is one. Get much over 15-17 in lbs of ring pressure and you're bound to start impressing the internal mechanisms with less than desirable effects. For the more serious/experienced shooter/hunter who demands/needs reliable optics, look elsewhere.

Thin tubes????????? Why does the Vortex weigh 4 ounces more on roughly equivalent scopes? Surely you do not mean that?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Long time no see sticky fingers. What I have owned or used works so well, Vortex doesn't enter the equation, and I have used a whole lot of stuff.

So two things you clearly know nothing about move you to post... What else ya got?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If I wanted to save a few bucks, I'd just buy a VX-1 or a Rifleman, or go used.

Boy, I would be hard pressed to recommend either of those models to a friend over say a Prostaff or FFII. The VX-1s and Riflemans I had were some of the worst glass I've looked through save the economy scopes. I think buying used would be a better option for sure.

As for Vortex, I own a couple of Viper 6.5-20x44s and for what I use them for, mainly PD hunting, I have been very happy with them. I have also looked through their HS model which I thought was very clear. Do not have any experience with their lower end models though so no help there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have two 2X7`s on lever actions and am quite happy with them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm concerned the reticle on mine is too thin for low light, but I guess I won't know till I use it....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Last year I mounted a Vortex 4 x 12 on a CZ 527 Hornet. So far so good. Use it on crows and groundhogs so it is not used in low light conditions, but it has held zero since I mounted it. Glass is not clear as a Leupold, but it easily resolves individual .224 holes at 100 yards. Considering what I paid for it from CameraLand I am pleased. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
vortex is a marketing company, I do like some of their stuff but keep in mind much of it comes and goes and gets blown out at a steep discount. leaving you with little resale value. So know that going in and make sure the optic matches your expectations. I bought a viper HD spotting scope. great scope for the money and I didn't pay retail for it. but there simply wasn't anything else really even close to it for the $550 I paid for it. I figured I would buy it and if I took a hit at resale so be it. It was enough better at that price point to justify it. their products haven't been problem free but they mask that up with insanely good customer service. I personally would rather not need it. but I am an optics snob and I suspect GSSP is too. nightforce spoils you that way.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I put the 3 Vortex Viper 2 X 7 one on my LH 375 Ruger, one on My LH 308 Win, and one on my buddies 338 Win mag. So far they have held up fine. Very clear and adjustments are great. Shoot mine in a lead sled, which is hard on scopes. I like the length of the tube for mounting on a Ruger LA. Not every model of every scope makers scopes are the best. But I like the Viper 2 X 7 and the Viper 3 x 9. Just MHO!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
~~~~ since Leupolds have always given excellent service and are made here, I see no reason to mess around with other stuff these days. ~~~ If I wanted to save a few bucks, I'd just buy a VX-1 or a Rifleman, or go used.

^Yup^ +1

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tmitch
~~~~ since Leupolds have always given excellent service and are made here, I see no reason to mess around with other stuff these days. ~~~ If I wanted to save a few bucks, I'd just buy a VX-1 or a Rifleman, or go used.

^Yup^ +1

If only this was true.All Leupold Green Ring products are Chink made.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.