Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know this isn't related to hunting, but I thought some of you might be able to provide some information. I'll be in Bozeman this summer to do some hiking. I'm wondering if any of you have any information on good day hikes? I've researched some on a National Geographic site that gives a little summary, but I'm just looking for more possible info. Also, I'll be pulling a pop-up trailer. I was looking at staying at the KOA, but they appear to be full the week I will be there. Are there any other good quality campgrounds in the area? I've searched a few on the net but, I'm hoping there may be more.

Thanks in advance for any help.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Take bear spray with you if you are hiking south of town.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You'd have to define a good quality campground.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM sent

Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Will do on the bear spray.

We will be doing some stuff in town as well as hiking so a shower would be nice. Anything else would be an added bonus

Last edited by Pilgs; 04/19/15.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Pilgs, Check out a campground guide.. Most campgrounds have a Woodall's or Good Sam campground book.. I looked at staying at I think it was Sunrise on the east end.. But we moved on..

I usually stay a Livingston at Olsen's.. Quiet and nice folks.. Only a 25 mile drive to Bozeman and a much larger town..

Molon Labe
Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
WCH, thanks. I'll check those out. I stayed at the KOA in Livingston last year. It was pretty nice.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
In Livingston, the pace is slower, the campground very nice and as you know on the Yellowstone.. Bozeman is nice but pretty big for this boy... Best of luck..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You may find KOAs or other campgrounds in nearby towns too. Check Belgrade, Manhattan, and Three Forks.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check out Bear Canyon Campground- Might be a little more quiet- For s a couple of good hikes, hike up to Sacagwea in Bozeman, or try the Sunlight Basin trail out of Wilsal in the Crazy Mountains

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Royce
Check out Bear Canyon Campground- Might be a little more quiet- For s a couple of good hikes, hike up to Sacagwea in Bozeman, or try the Sunlight Basin trail out of Wilsal in the Crazy Mountains

Those are good suggsestions. There are plenty of options in Gallatin Canyon as well though most get pretty busy on the weekends. Get up high in almost any drainage and the views are great. Devil's Backbone between Hyalite lake and Windy pass is neat country and will have almost no one on it. Don't know how ambitious of a hike you're after but there are plenty of every kind. Tom Miner near Gardiner is neat too, with trailer access and some good jumping off points.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pine Creek Lake is a good one. It's a stout dayhike so start early. It's well worth it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Brad and Bozeman guys...is there a Campground at Hyalite?...that might be a thought too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, you can camp all around Hyalite.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats what I thought, though I haven't been up there for ten years, and we were training dogs and not camping that time.

Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The campgrounds at Hyalite don't have showers, which the OP was looking for, I think.
Hyalite is way too crowded for my liking. Didn't go up there for the last several years I lived in Bozeman.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Find a forest service road and camp in the Bridgers and enjoy some peace and quiet. Worth missing a shower for. The campgrounds will be a full on zoo. The campground east of town is right beside I-90 and packed all summer. The KOA sucks. Way too many sweet campsites via forest service roads in the Bridgers and Gallatin canyon to suffer through staying at a public campground near Bozeman/Yellowstone in the summer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a few festivities in Bozeman I'd like to attend also, which is the reason for the shower preference. How far is Hyalite from town?

Also, this may be a dumb question but when the summary of the trail says "6 mile out and back hike" does that mean 6 miles round trip? I'm assuming it does, just want to make sure

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hyalite is about ten miles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 31 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.