Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, yeah I can't believe I'm saying it either.

Like many an M70 fan, I've got my prejudices! I've always thought (and still do) the old-school M70 trigger is the best hard-duty hunting trigger ever conceived, though I'd add the Ruger MKII might be right there with it, though a bit harder to fine-tune.

Anyway, I recently put a call out on the classifieds for a USA made/BACO M70 Extreme Weather in 308. A member graciously sold me his. The trigger was remarkably creep-free, and quite crisp, albeit a bit heavy for my taste at 3.5lbs.

So I ordered an Ernie-The-Gunsmith trigger spring for it and installed it yesterday. A pretty simple matter if you have even the most basic mechanical aptitude (no Dober, don't try this, I'll do it for you - grin).

Pull went from 3.5 to 2.75lbs. An absolutely superb trigger! The more I studied the MOA trigger build the more impressed I became with it. No it's not a Kimber trigger, but it's darn good in its own right (and simpler), and obviously a lot of quality thinking went into its design.

I still wish M70's were made in CT, but life marches on and we all get to change with it... heck, even me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Put one in my 264 last month, I could not get the stock trigger below 3 1/4 lbs . It was safely working at 2 lbs but I upped it to 2 3/4 ...Very nice trigger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
OK, yeah I can't believe I'm saying it either.

Like many an M70 fan, I've got my prejudices! I've always thought (and still do) the old-school M70 trigger is the best hard-duty hunting trigger ever conceived, though I'd add the Ruger MKII might be right there with it, though a bit harder to fine-tune.

Anyway, I recently put a call out on the classifieds for a USA made/BACO M70 Extreme Weather in 308. A member graciously sold me his. The trigger was remarkably creep-free, and quite crisp, albeit a bit heavy for my taste at 3.5lbs.

So I ordered an Ernie-The-Gunsmith trigger spring for it and installed it yesterday. A pretty simple matter if you have even the most basic mechanical aptitude (no Dober, don't try this, I'll do it for you - grin).

Pull went from 3.5 to 2.75lbs. An absolutely superb trigger! The more I studied the MOA trigger build the more impressed I became with it. No it's not a Kimber trigger, but it's darn good in its own right (and simpler), and obviously a lot of quality thinking went into its design.

I still wish M70's were made in CT, but life marches on and we all get to change with it... heck, even me.

Good post Brad, I feel the same way..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Make that 3 of us on the original M70 triggers. I also agree with Brad on the Ruger MkII triggers. I've had really good luck with them after spending a bit of time with a stone and sear 'adjustment'. Its actually quite easy if you go slow and take your time. All my Ruger Mk II's are at 3.0 lbs and no creep.

Last edited by bwinters; 04/20/15.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I threw one of his springs in my tang Ruger 35 Whelen and it did schite. Truly disappointed so I snipped a ring and a half and reliably landed where I wanted.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
FWIW IMO the new Haven style trigger though sound in design sucked in practice. They never felt good or had light enough pull, even when done up by a model 70 smith.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
FWIW IMO the new Haven style trigger though sound in design sucked in practice. They never felt good or had light enough pull, even when done up by a model 70 smith.

I hear mixed reviews about the MOA trigger. I could have lucked out and gotten a good one that only needed lightening.

After the Ernie's trigger spring was installed, my particular MOA trigger became better than the best old-style M70 trigger I've ever had.

But I still prefer the old-style trigger for its uber simplcity.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had the same experience with my FN M70. The Ernie's spring brought the pull weight down where I wanted it and it works almost as good as a M700 trigger. ...Big Grin...

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by BWalker

I hear mixed reviews about the MOA trigger. I could have lucked out and gotten a good one that only needed lightening.

After the Ernie's trigger spring was installed, my particular MOA trigger became better than the best old-style M70 trigger I've ever had.

But I still prefer the old-style trigger for its uber simplcity.

Brad, I've said the exact same thing. Having many pre 64's, classics, and a few MOA's AND shooting them side by side. You'll see a difference, especially, in offhand and other field positions where it really counts. My MOA's were a very consistent 2.5 pounds after the ernie spring and my last BACO rifle (that I recently sold) was a very consistent 2 3/8 pounds was damn near perfect as far as hunting triggers are concerned. However, there's no denying the simplicity and ruggedness of the oldstyle trigger that you find on the pre 64's. I'll still take the old over the new, but the design on the MOA is sound and anyone who replaces one with a similar Timney, likes throwing money out the window......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My New Haven Classic Stainless took a full dunking in salt water the other day, totally submerged. Location was in the middle of nowhere on Admiralty Island at the beginning of a week-long hunt. I found a handy puddle of rainwater, swished the gun and stripped bolt around for a bit,and then hung it overnight by the fire. No worries.

I'm glad you guys are happy with the MOA thing, but I'm happy to have the old trigger without all their enclosed parts.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
My New Haven Classic Stainless took a full dunking in salt water the other day, totally submerged. Location was in the middle of nowhere on Admiralty Island at the beginning of a week-long hunt. I found a handy puddle of rainwater, swished the gun and stripped bolt around for a bit,and then hung it overnight by the fire. No worries.

I'm glad you guys are happy with the MOA thing, but I'm happy to have the old trigger without all their enclosed parts.

There you go. Enough said.

5 of these newer BACO's and not a one needed the trigger touched;all shot very well ad Ernie was not needed. The triggers all felt great. But they are all gone.Tried to be objective but too many years with the old trigger.

Pabucktail where abouts on Admiralty were you? See a bear you wanted?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
After owing 43 P-64-70s since 1968 and two sts Classics, packing some of these daily for months in BCs most remote wilderness, alone, I have an opinion on this.

I handled several of the FN-70s at local shops, don't like them at all and hardly need another rifle. Don't for an instant doubt young Brads word on this, but, the old 70 trigger, while not my favourite for a field rifle, suits me better than the new.

I seldom use any Mod. 70 now, my various custom rifles on Euro actions are better, so are my Dakota 76 .338s and I am now trying my new Kimber MA-.280AI.

I have Mauser triggers, properly adjusted by a Euro-born smith here which blow any 70 away and are the most trouble free of all.

YMMV, but, we all have our preferences and these are mine.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Bob, I was on the Chatham side. Green up was less than stellar and no bears were spotted. I was just along as a bear observer though since I shot one in '13.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Bob, I was on the Chatham side. Green up was less than stellar and no bears were spotted....

pa: Where i shot my last one....somewhat north of Chaik.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Cool, who'd you hunt with?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.