Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by txhunter58
.....want others out there to know that many of us would not consider this bullet to be adequate in our hands for elk hunt with all the uncertainties they bring with them.

I want posters on here to know that they can post the results of their successful hunts, including the details on the bullets they used and the performance of those bullets without getting a ration on you-know-what for their efforts.

It's useful and good information, thanks ribka.

Originally Posted by txhunter58
That said, if I were 80 yards from an elk that was standing still broadside or slightly quartering away and all I had was the set up he used, would I hesitate.....so why would I take a bullet that I consider has limitations?

I'm confused, did you expect only like minded guys who agree with him to respond?

Yes, you are confused. The thread is not about what you personally would or would not do, it's about ribka's results.

Which were very good by the way, and nothing you've said changes that.

If you want to express your opinions about what you would or would not do, it's probably best to start your own thread. Or at least try to avoid putting your own spin on his and implying that he said things he didn't.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
SLM: I would consider a 150-200 yard, slightly "quartering to" shot a good shot with a nosler partition. And we don't all always shoot Minute of angle in the field. I have had a better bullet save me when my aim wasn't quite as true as it should have been. For a true sharpshooter with a "good shot", he might as well take a 22-250 out shooting a 55 gr soft lead bullet for an elk. They will be just as dead.

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/19/15.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious to hear about all the AMax failures, especially with elk and 162's.

R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I dislike head on or heavy quartering to shots and generally would not take them regardless of bullet or caliber. But that is just me

I guess all elk hunters should limit shots to 100 yds or less and be required to shoot at least a 338-378 weatherby

I'm a big boy not immune to criticism. i expected mostly negative input and some ( not a lot) of positive input when i decided to post. I posted this because after hunting over 40 years I felt like I needed to examine what I felt were possible misconceptions regarding bullets and larger game like elk.For years I always considered a big magnum was necessary to kill elk and big mule and whitetail deer.
I like to shoot a lot with my hunting rifles. Shooting a light weight magnum was becoming less enjoyable for range sessions.I discovered the 6.5's a few years ago and enjoy shooting them, their history and reloading for them. I found I could shoot regularly and quite accurately.After noticing the effectiveness on deer with amax's I thought about using them on a cow hunt. I knew where the cows came out each morning and knew I could set up before light for a relatively easy shot. (BTW I have shot 3 cow elk here in WA with unjacketed muzzle loader bullets. The law just changed recently allowing jacketed bullets. Yes I killed 2 of the three cow elk easily with solid lead heavy buffalo bullets. The third cow taken with Ml unjacket bullets was shot with unjacketed lighter powerbelt bullets. I did not like their performance so stopped using them)

Anyway cow came out into sage as expected and story over.

Last edited by ribka; 04/19/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd be curious to hear about all the AMax failures, especially with elk and 162's.

Me too.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hornady spent a pile of money developing and testing the Amax. They determined it to be an excellent target bullet but decided it was deficient for hunting porposes. After all they spent on it, if it was a good hunting bullet, they surely would have said so to increase sales. But, they didn't. They specifically said it's too fragile for hunting so don't use it.
So, a few gun writers who weren't in on the testing write about it so that negates all of Hornady's testing.

I wonder how many recommendations would be more accurate if they said "I shot 3 elk with this bullet and found 1 of them so it's a great bullet."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Did you actually read the OP, or just climb straight into your pulpit? Did you notice how the OP qualified his use of this bullet?

Did you perchance see the dead elk?

I've also used to work for a meat processor, processing game during hunting season. I've seen a lot of the shot up game that doesn't get posted about on internet forums.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rock Chuck,

The image I posted about the A-Max is from Hornady's own manual...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

208gr Amax, one shot kill at 550 yards. Bullet broke both shoulders, and left a golf ball size exit. The bull hit the ground and never moved.

From a .308 Winchester of all things. I'd say use it......when I make a statement about something, I've either used it myself, or seen it used.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who wants to bet that there are fewer lost animals with Amax than any other bullet?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who wants to bet that there are fewer lost animals with Amax than any other bullet?

This is a silly statement.

I killed a very big mule deer one time with a 7-.300 Weatherby firing 175 Nosler Partitions at 3,150 feet per second. The buck was maybe 100 yards away broadside. The bullet hit about 3" above and behind the heart. The buck ran off about 300 yards. If it had been in the woods I would have lost it by the direction I watched it run in the sage. It took off one way about fifty yards then cut back maybe seventy yards and then straight away. The entrance hole was about 2 1/2" diameter. The exit hole was about half that size strait in line with the other side.

I killed a medium blacktail with a 7STW firing 120TTSX at 3,600. The heart was totally gone. I expected a drop at the shot. The buck ran in a straight line at least 100 yards. Fortunately, because I was in the woods, by then I was able to track a little better.

I would not hesitate to expect an AMax will work just as effectively as either of the two bullets above.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Hornady spent a pile of money developing and testing the Amax. They determined it to be an excellent target bullet but decided it was deficient for hunting porposes. After all they spent on it, if it was a good hunting bullet, they surely would have said so to increase sales. But, they didn't. They specifically said it's too fragile for hunting so don't use it.
So, a few gun writers who weren't in on the testing write about it so that negates all of Hornady's testing.

I wonder how many recommendations would be more accurate if they said "I shot 3 elk with this bullet and found 1 of them so it's a great bullet."

The reason Hornady changed the hunting bullet recommendation in the literature isn't because the AMAX doesn't work very well in the role/use.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

208gr Amax, one shot kill at 550 yards. Bullet broke both shoulders, and left a golf ball size exit. The bull hit the ground and never moved.

From a .308 Winchester of all things. I'd say use it......when I make a statement about something, I've either used it myself, or seen it used.

Now Pat there you go using actual field experience again. You know that will never fly at the Campfire smile

Speculation and opinion only here whistle

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I shot a 180 pound whitetail this season with a 105 amax out of a 6br. I was Very impressed with bullet performance also the caliber.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hornady spent a pile of money developing and testing the Amax. They determined it to be an excellent target bullet but decided it was deficient for hunting porposes. After all they spent on it, if it was a good hunting bullet, they surely would have said so to increase sales.

You'd have a point if they didn't also manufacture and market "premium" bullets that cost more.

Why should they promote their inexpensive "target" bullets for hunting use when they have a whole slew of people like you convinced that you need a more expensive bullet with a bonded jacket, monomental construction, or a partition to hunt big game?

If you want to talk about animals that have been shot with an Amax and not recovered, have at it. How many have you shot and not recovered?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Did you actually read the OP, or just climb straight into your pulpit? Did you notice how the OP qualified his use of this bullet?

Did you perchance see the dead elk?

I've also used to work for a meat processor, processing game during hunting season. I've seen a lot of the shot up game that doesn't get posted about on internet forums.

How many were shot with the Amax?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hornady spent a pile of money developing and testing the Amax. They determined it to be an excellent target bullet but decided it was deficient for hunting porposes. After all they spent on it, if it was a good hunting bullet, they surely would have said so to increase sales.

You'd have a point if they didn't also manufacture and market "premium" bullets that cost more.

Why should they promote their inexpensive "target" bullets for hunting use when they have a whole slew of people like you convinced that you need a more expensive bullet with a bonded jacket, monomental construction, or a partition to hunt big game?

If you want to talk about animals that have been shot with an Amax and not recovered, have at it. How many have you shot and not recovered?
I can honestly say that out of dozens of elk I've shot over the years, I've never failed to recover one. You can say BS all you want to but that's the hard truth. I've never used a bullet not recommended for the job by a manufacturer and I've never taken a questionable shot. I've used a lot of Speer Hotcores and found that they've been good ones although in the last couple of years, I've found that their accuracy has dropped.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So what? How is that relevant to this discussion?

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Good thread. I’ve been researching possible loads for a 7x57 and looking at different possible loads the 162 AMax being one of those. Its good to see some actual field results with this bullet.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My good friend shot this bull at 500 yards with a 140gr Amax from a 260. Dropped on impact and never moved...
[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.