Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The "Deere" sneak?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love this thread.

Tell the guys at Wolfe, you earned them an online subscriber with that article.

Actually, at 19,97 $ per year it is a steal. Thank you.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
On the other hand, I've also known several Western hunters who didn't believe anybody could stalk any sort of big game except from a pickup, known in some circles as "the old F250 sneak"....

I know it's a time-honored technique for elk hunting in Montana. Shrapnel even made a video of it, awesome!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Did he stalk or still-hunt? In some parts of the country the two terms are used interchangeably.

The kind of stalking I discussed is first spotting game, and then sneaking up to get a shot. Some people call it "spot-and-stalk."

Still-hunting is moving quietly through cover until game is spotted, but that point its usually in range, or at most requires a few careful steps to get a clear shot. In the South I have also heard it called "slip-hunting."

John,

As you know better than most of us, language evolves. I have always thought of "still hunting" as a kind of slow, blind stalking -- moving only one or two steps at a time into the wind in the woods, hoping to see a deer before it sees you and getting a close shot. Increasingly across the South I see the usage becoming "the opposite of hunting deer with dogs." You are either a "dog hunter" or a "still hunter." (And there is increasing tension between the two because still hunters don't want someone else's dogs running across their private property or lease.)

Regards,

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "Deere" sneak?

Good one John, laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
On the other hand, I've also known several Western hunters who didn't believe anybody could stalk any sort of big game except from a pickup, known in some circles as "the old F250 sneak"....

Is it a modern version of this....."Elk don't know how many feet an F250 has....! laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFePYTa0xwY

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mule Deer, the guy I was talking about, was still hunting.. In those days after opening day, the woods were quite until Sat.. So still hunting was quite deadly if you had the skill.. He also tracked his deer IF there was snow.. Haven't seen the article yet.. Will pick it up when we leave for our turkey hunt.. In that country spotting a buck then stalking would have been a tough deal.. I would guess more difficult that still hunting.. The spot and stalk you mentioned, we used to use on a couple mts. north of town.. A guy could spot a buck or bull then put the sneak on him until we were with in shooting range..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those farmland deer really get used to tractors. Over 20 years ago my boss was coming down out of his woods on a tractor hauling firewood; he saw a buck bedded about 20 yds. away and never even flinched as he drove right by it. Got down to the house, parked the tractor, grabbed his slug gun, and stalked in from the opposite side of the woods where he had heavy cover. Shot a nice buck right in his bed at what was later measured at about 35 yds. IIRC. Don't worry.... it was deer season, he still had a buck tag ; it was all legal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ready,

Glad you liked the article!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had occasion to stalk,or stillhunt a few deer in my 43 deer seasons.
I have found it works better ( for me)in less than ideal conditions for stand hunting,like when the wind is blowing,or snow is falling,and the wind is blowing.
It makes enough sound,so that the deer cant hear any better than we can,and I can get within range of them.
I find it much more enjoyable than stand hunting,and usually will when condition are favorable for it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Good point.

The original meaning of still-hunting was a slow, blind sneak through cover--as detailed in hundreds of pages in W.S. Van Dykes classic book, THE STILL HUNTER. From what I can gather, the "still" came from the hunter moving with the illusion of stillness, like the hands of a clock.

I have heard that some people (especially further east from Montana) now use it as a term for stand hunting. But also admit I haven't hunted in the South for a couple-three years now, and then not in an area with any dog hunting.

Westerners are quite familiar with traditional still-hunting, especially those of us who grew up in the mountains. I have used it to kill quite a few deer and elk, including whitetails. Snow of course helps, but one interesting thing about hunting the mountains out here is that often deer and elk will hang out just below the "snow line" after early-season storms, the elevation where snow turns to rain. Evidently the realize their hoofprints are very obvious in snow, and I've often found them in the rain-zone just below, where the moisture makes still-hunting very quiet. Deer in particular like to bed under conifers in those conditions. I've ended up close to bedded deer of both species, but couldn't get a shot due to low brush, so had to make some slight noise to get them to stand up.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WyoCoyoteHunter,

Yeah, in thicker country it's tough to spot and stalk. Snow sure helps!

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It is important to recognize that the ability to successfully still-hunt/ stalk, is inversely proportional to an individuals beam.

You can't buy enough technology to overcome the negative effect of being way out of shape.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 04/19/15.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The "Deere" sneak?

Happens all the time down here in plantation country (SW GA). Many farmers are locked and loaded during fall harvest. Especially cotton picking.....the deer think they are invisible in cotton fields.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Haven't heard that one in my circles. But I did use a red Dodge Dakota as a blind once..... whistle

I have often thought that a cardboard blind shaped and printed to look like a rusty mud-splattered 1/2 ton pickup would work as well in the midwest as anything like a Double-Bull from Primos.

I think that my FIL shot most of his whitetails from the seat of his pickup. He'd go so far as to wear his hunter-orange clothing and turn the engine off before shooting, but he parked in the same place year after year and seemed to have the ranges locking in.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Godogs,

Happens all the time here in the West too, and not just in farm fields. Both mule deer and pronghorn on ranches aren't very nervous around haying equipment, trucks or even pickups, because they see 'em all the time--one reason many outfitters learn to "stalk" in pickups: Animals get far more spooky when somebody starts hiking, because they're not used to seeing people walking around.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,
Someone, I can't remember who, described still hunting as "stalking the cover"; an exellent description. You hunt as though you had game in sight, even though you don't. The technique requires a certain amount of territory unoccupied by other hunters to be successful (and safe), a commodity in pretty short supply during deer seson in this part of the East. I've taken a few deer this way and count those as my greatest achievements in the field, even though the deer weren't anything special.

Once, during a gentle rain, I discovered a group of deer slowly feeding their way through the woods and managed to work my way close enough for a shot at about 20 yards. In my mind, I had that doe tagged and in the trunk, but the wretch ducked the string on me.

Great pieces on still hunting can be found in Sell's "Deer Hunters Guide", "Whitetail", by George Mattis, and of course, Koller's wonderful book.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still hunting...is there any other way? Deer, hogs, turkeys, coyotes, bobcats and such. Gave up on stands decades ago, mostly a waste of time IMO.

OTOH, I know a fellow out in WY that stalks speed-goats with a flintlock. I've done something similar, disguised as a Chevy Impala.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
JB, I haven't read your article yet but remember one from Ross S. in S. Hunter/Rifle/Handloader (don't remember which) probably 15 years ago about still hunting Elk. What I got was, go slow and ALWAYS move into the wind and stay in the shade. I have hunted w/a couple of friends in wheelchairs who taught me about "road hunting" for quite a few years. They couldn't walk but could see like eagles. BOTH of them said don't get away from the truck where they could see you! I put in a lot of hours skinnin, draggin, guttin, hangin, smokin, eatin, and fishin w/em. BTW went 27 for 28 on Colombian G. squirrels today w/an old K Hornet.-Muddy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

From what I can gather, the "still" came from the hunter moving with the illusion of stillness, like the hands of a clock.

That is rather a nice image.

The other explanation is that the word "still" is used according to a broader meaning here, which includes "silent" or "quiet". "Still" as a synonym for "quiet", has a history going back to Middle English, though it isn't widely used that way nowadays other than in this context and one or two others.

FWIW "both loud and still" was at one time a common phrase to mean "in all conditions".

I do like your explanation though. It does seem to capture the need to slow it right down as well as keep it very quiet.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (Birdwatcher, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.