-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Green light from wife", what's that all about?

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Kojac

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission

I am one gun away from happy
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Lol! I like to at least try to keep the peace on the homestead ... makes for much more enjoyable life.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/safe-room.html

these people might give you some ideas

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
I put the heat into the floor and the room (entire basement) stays very dry
In the winter we use a humidifier
I do have a dehumidifier in the gun room in the spring
[Linked Image]
Never large enough

Uh-oh. Now they coming for your guns!!! That's just too many they say.

Awesome collection.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Wife and I are most likely going to tackle building a new home on my family farm this year and she has given me the green light to do an all concrete built-in gun vault in our basement foundation. Curious if anyone else here has done this and maybe some do's and don'ts when doing it? Also, what type or brand of vault door would you all suggest? Thanks.

I put one in the custom home I just finished. I fully finished it out with stud walls, drywall, paint, trim, extensive lighting, electric heat, air exchanger, carpet, etc. This was a "vault room" not just a "gun vault. 285sf, 8" reinforced walls, and a 4" pandeck, rebar reinforced lid.

I used the door from these folks:

http://www.homelandsafes.com/vaultdoors.html

Vaults are pretty popular in this part of the world...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can build a security room on any floor using lexan panels made specifically for that purpose (coreguard maybe?). Much lighter weight and can be put in any room you want to use. Security doors are easy enough to find as well.

I've worked in several pharmacies that shared walls with non secure areas. Lexan panels and ceilings made them almost impossible for the average thief to penetrate.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, I laughed a little when I read that. My wife would think it strange if we weren't building in a gun room.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just noticed the comment about your using all poured concrete construction. Not knowing your method or materials for that, I would express one caution. We once incoprporated an extra underground room because it would be inexpensive/convenient/useful - with concrete floor and walls made using "build block" (constructed with insulating interlocking foam block into which the concrete is poured) - and the construction aspect worked like a dream. But, the concrete gave off moisture for months and eventually used a dryer to get the room settled at low hunidity - took a year of checking himidity before I felt it OK to use for dry storage.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
...The safe room was under his front porch that was outside the main footprint of the house structure.

...The neat thing about is that all the floor space under the main living structure can be accounted for without any consideration for safe room.

I think having it outside the main footprint is an added safeguard against the most cunning threats to our guns.

I have a friend who is a Class III collector. When his home was built he also put an alcove into a basement wall that was outside of the footprint of the house. Then there is no space "missing" in the basement if someone is snooping around.

He built one of those Zanotti (?) modular safes into the alcove and the dimensions are such that the safe can not be moved unless it is opened, emptied and disassembled. The alcove is behind a bookcase, all nice and "James Bond-like".

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go over to NPHA and talk to Furhunter (Darby,,, you know him from PM).
He recently built one in his new house. There's even an old thread somewhere with pictures of the construction process.
He's also a contractor and knows his chit.

Almost forgot,,,, NPHA recently changed their forum around.
Here's a link to the new one.

http://www.nationalpredatorhunter.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=16

Last edited by FieldGrade; 04/19/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Owner of the LGS told me a story about a winchester collector who had one in his basement and a water pipe in the ceiling broke when he was at his 2nd home in Florida for the winter. 1/2 million dollars of Winchester collectibles were damaged. The insurance company worked with him to attempt to bring them back.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm jealous.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've done dirt work for 100's of houses and As has been mentioned here under the front porch is common here very little extra work and concrete involved and just get vault door that leaves a "fire proof" eith dehumidifier rods and proper sealing I've never heard of a problem sound here and this is a very humid area

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've done dirt work for 100's of houses and As has been mentioned here under the front porch is common here very little extra work and concrete involved and just get vault door that leaves a "fire proof" eith dehumidifier rods and proper sealing I've never heard of a problem sound here and this is a very humid area

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend that put in a vault room when he built. Has had a humidity problem since day one. Uses a de-humidifier but didn't anticipate the the issue and has to empty the tray very often. Pain in the butt. If you do this put plenty of electricity and a drain where the water can be pumped out. Of course, you might not have as much humidity in your area as we do. His issue seems to be compounded because it's in the basement. Good idea...just plan well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Radiant heat in the floor makes The basement VERY dry

I am one gun away from happy
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I put one in my last house I built in Prescott. My exterior walls were ICF 13" thick and the interior walls were poured concrete with rebar 6" thick. I put a 7' vault door with biometric access. I had a separate electrical circuit to it with lighting and a fan driven duct to provide fresh air on demand drawn from about 12' outside the vault. I put a fairly large dehumidifier in it.

The vault door was off ebay from a company in California that did nothing else- about $1600. Weighed 700#. I had a whole bunch of friends help me set it up and I red-headed the frame into the floors and walls.

I had to drain the 4 gallon tank of the dehumidifier at least once a week. It was a nightmare. I wouldn't do it again unless I used rubber vapor barriers in the concrete before I poured. Dealing with water is a nightmare.

I decided I wouldn't do one in a basement again, period- too much risk of flood, moisture and access. Next one will be on ground level or upstairs. Only reason to do one in the ground is to hide it. Mine had a very attractive door on it and looked nice in the theatre room.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elwood
I have a friend that put in a vault room when he built. Has had a humidity problem since day one. Uses a de-humidifier but didn't anticipate the the issue and has to empty the tray very often. Pain in the butt. If you do this put plenty of electricity and a drain where the water can be pumped out. Of course, you might not have as much humidity in your area as we do. His issue seems to be compounded because it's in the basement. Good idea...just plan well.

I've seen more water problems in basements due to drains backing up than with pipes breaking. So... Maybe a 6" or so threshold for the door, or maybe just raise the entire safe room 6" or so above the rest of the basement. Water is the enemy in basements.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you are serious about it doubling as a storm shelter, you may want to specify a swing in door. This setup reduces the chance of entrapment due to something falling against the door on the outside and preventing it from swinging open.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.