-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would strongly agree with those suggesting a revolver of some kind, either single or double action. Different kids have different levels of maturity and attention spans but a handgun that automatically readies itself for the next shot, touched off by a light pull on the trigger, might be a bit too advanced for a 6 year old, even under close supervision. You know your kids better than anyone else here so you’d have to be the judge of that. But the idea of learning to fire one deliberate shot can never be instilled too deeply at any age.

Plus you will want to keep the weight down as much as possible. Experience teaching grown women to shoot handguns showed me they don’t like heavy guns – Smith K and J frames were what the grownups liked to shoot so a child’s smaller hands and even lesser strength should be considered. The S&W kit gun is a good choice but pricey these days. The Bearcat with adjustable sights is another great choice and sized right for small hands, blued ones are running from about $450 up on gunbroker.

I'm guessing at those ages the girls haven't become handgun snobs yet (but who knows? wink ) so a decent used H&R or a Taurus might be a good choice to keep prices down.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't much take to kids and handguns, but if one goes the revolver route make sure no appendages are any further forward than the trigger guard regardless of caliber or cartridge.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I love my SW 617 and the suggestions of other SW revolvers, but the OP said not wanting to break the bank.

That kind of rules out SW's.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think I am correct on this. According to the ATF pistols and revolvers are a different classification. But in the real world-- who gives a rats a$$.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
My sons & nieces have shot the heck out of my Ruger Single Six Convertible (.22 LR). I thought it might be a bit on the heavy side but none of them seem to mind. I did the "redneck trigger job" on it and it still functions perfectly. I also have a Ruger SR22 and like humdinger says, it's a nice size for small hands, and reasonably priced.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
Don't much take to kids and handguns, but if one goes the revolver route make sure no appendages are any further forward than the trigger guard regardless of caliber or cartridge.

Yeah, pistols can be really dangerous due to their short size and mobility.

That's why you gotta be real careful mixing kids and pistols. I stay very close behind so they can't sweep the area, do something unsafe.

DO NOT stand back and let them shoot a pistol. You gotta be right there, very close, constantly teaching safety and gun hnadling protocol.

With the right situation and the right kid, it can be a good and productive thing.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Gibby
I think I am correct on this. According to the ATF pistols and revolvers are a different classification. But in the real world-- who gives a rats a$$.

laugh

ATF hasn't gotten much right in their history... grin

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 1minute

Yeah, pistols can be really dangerous due to their short size and mobility.

That's why you gotta be real careful mixing kids and pistols. I stay very close behind so they can't sweep the area, do something unsafe.

DO NOT stand back and let them shoot a pistol. You gotta be right there, very close, constantly teaching safety and gun hnadling protocol.

With the right situation and the right kid, it can be a good and productive thing.

DF

^^^THIS absolutely, but I would substitute the word "kids" with "novices" (of any age.) Taught some girlfriends to shoot back in the day. You have to vigilant with handguns and novices!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep.

Kids, novices, beginners...

They're all potentially very dangerous if not closely monitored and the situation taken very seriously.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Gibby

laugh

ATF hasn't gotten much right in their history... grin

DF

That's for damn sure!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks everyone for the responses. A lot of great information from some very knowledgeable sources. Safety is of course my first priority. My girls mean more to me than anything else in the world. This is more about the opportunity to spend time with them as they grow up doing something we all can enjoy and hopefully they can learn a few valueable lessons along the way, like how to protect themselves. So thank you for all your suggestions. I've got a lot to think about and plenty of time to do more research before I make that purchase. Thanks Again!

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
if you go revolver... how about a new ruger sp101. Please tell us what get.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had an early SP101, .22LR.

Solid, well made gun. The trigger wasn't as good as my vintage S&W Kit Gun. And, for a pistol, a good trigger is critical for good groups.

Ruger's LCR series has a great DA trigger, maybe some of that technology rubbed off on the new 101. Not sure about that.

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger SR22 is what you want for kids.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll throw in another vote for the 22/45 Lite. I really like mine. The SR 22 would work well too if you're going semiauto, and a Buckmark would work too. I'd prefer a decent revolver for a beginner due to their simplicity, but they're usually a little more pricey.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Ruger SR22 is what you want for kids.

Don't forget the Walther P22.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bobcat may be sorta small, but is accurate. The other two are ideal for this application.

DF

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I think right now I'm leaning toward the Ruger sr22 or the Walther p22. But will have to see what is available when I have the funds and will have to see how they fit in the girls hands.

I have two girls so I may just have to get a second 22 pistol and make that one a "revolver".

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Naught a ruger bearcat for my kids to shoot years ago when they were little. Just the right size..

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by texas_hawg
I think right now I'm leaning toward the Ruger sr22 or the Walther p22. But will have to see what is available when I have the funds and will have to see how they fit in the girls hands.

I have two girls so I may just have to get a second 22 pistol and make that one a "revolver".

I have a Ruger SR22. It was a little picky about ammo when new. It is better now. Still a little picky, though. I've read that they will eat anything after they get 1000 rounds or so put down the pipe.

I would do a little research over on Rimfire Central about the Walther. I think they are more ammo sensitive. Just do a little research first.

Good Luck!!

kevlars

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.