Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My very middle aged eyes have trouble focusing on the rear sight of my 1928 99G.

Receiver has not been drilled, so to scope it I need a Stith.

I have been thinking of getting a Stith with one inch rings because that gives me lots of choices.

What say the Forum?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say, make up your own mind!!!!! wink wink

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can't agree that the Stith gives you lots of choices. You are limited to fixed power scopes unless you find one for the old Weaver KV variable. On the straight tubes the limit is 3X and you have to remove the bell to fit it through the ring. The Stith for the old Weaver 4X limits you to using very old vintage Weavers which are hard to find in the right series to match the Stith.

If you want real versatility, get one of my mounts.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a stith mount that has a split rear ring and it work well with a 1 x 4 leupold. have you tried a tang sight ? I have the same problem ,I can't see the rear sight anymore but a peep works great

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want vintage looks, buy a Stith and a scope set so you don't have to worry about matching up the right scope with the right mounts. No Stith is "correct" with a 1928 right, but the look is cool.

If you want versatility and the option of either vintage or modern scopes, get the Lightfoot mount and use rings and scope of your choice.

Truthfully, 95% of deer hunting can be done with a 3x power scope. So it comes down to what you like.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plab
I have a stith mount that has a split rear ring and it work well with a 1 x 4 leupold. have you tried a tang sight ? I have the same problem ,I can't see the rear sight anymore but a peep works great

plab

Your mount with the split rear ring is a hybrid of old and new style Stiths for the Savage 99. That was not a set that left the factory that way and they are very hard to find and piece together. Johno from down under has looked for one for years now.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bushmaster,

Send me a PM when you have time. I have a few options that may interest you.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This is an antelope that I killed with a Weaver KV 1.75x-5x on Stiths at 300 yards in a 30+ mph crosswind. Drew sold me the mounts and Lightfoot sold me the scope. Drew was their, he saw the whole thing.

The point is not that I am some kind of talented sniper because I am not. The point is you don't need a 14x-50mm scope and a belted magnum to kill at long range.

Just sayin...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Randy

[Linked Image]

That dink I shot showed up wink

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Billy:

That is bad ass...

Every time I look at that buck.., draw a little wood...

Wish I could get together to hunt with more of you guys.

If it weren't for time and money think of the fun we could have...

wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to hijack the thread:

Couple of guys have asked me where I got the slip knot, no sling stud sling on my gun

Can't even remember anymore, but know somebody here will know.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bump for the info on the sling.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
PM's sent to guys looking for slings. The info is a couple of years old. Hope it is still good.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If a man is determined to scope his rifle, I'm all for helping him out. I think if I were hell bent on that approach I would go with the Lightfoot mount and whatever modern glass tripped my trigger.

The little bit of pronghorn/mule deer hunting I did out there in the big wide lonesome, I did with a 1½-4 Weaver on a .257 Roberts, and never felt handicapped. (Even though most of my kills were 50 yards and less, stalked, there was one kill shot at 300± yards.)

For the gent who is up for the challenge of mastering iron/aperture sights with middle aged eyes, there are ways to do it that work with a minimum of fuss. Getting back to "the basics", as it were, has proven to be very satisfying to me. YMMV.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you do what you're thinking of, here's what it will look like.

[Linked Image]

Mine's a 1928 vintage also, SN 306xxx. The low power early Weaver scope looks "right" on it and give enough magnification for Michigan whitetail hunting.

yooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A wise man once said:

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If a man is determined to scope his rifle, I'm all for helping him out. I think if I were hell bent on that approach I would go with the Lightfoot mount and whatever modern glass tripped my trigger.

That's what I would do and use a 2x-7x 33mm.

Long Live The Judge

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I gotta agree with the Lightfoot mount. There's no messing around, and take that from a guy who messed with a gob of Stith configurations while trying to make all sorts of crap work.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by billy336

That's what I would do and use a 2x-7x 33mm.

Not me. If I wanted to go modern, I would use my custom 264 Win Mag with a 26 inch barrel topped with the 6.5-20x50 Zeiss holding turrets. On deer sized game, I can shoot out to 550 with little issues. 700 if I have a calm wind and also feel confident.

Keep old, old and new, new. Otherwise, there isn't any nostalgia... and IMO, looks really goofy putting a modern scope on a 20s gun. To which is own.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one on a T. Looks pretty decent. The guys at deer camp finger that thing like it's theirs smirk. I know, a T ain't from the 20s. But close smile....

Long Live The Judge

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you want to get technical, then a proper scope for a 20's gun would be a Malcolm, Winchester 5A, Lyman A5, Belding&Mull, early Fecker, any number of German scopes, etc. (some of which are surprisingly good, but most would make the modern purist cringe).

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like the Lyman Alaskan 7/8 in a stith! gotta have a post too!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlering
I like the Lyman Alaskan 7/8 in a stith! gotta have a post too!

I love the Lyman Alaskans, but a 1" Weaver with a post reticle is very nice as well.

Replace the forearm on this, and you have your 99G with Lyman Alaskan.

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
99G in 30-30. Lyman Alaskan with post crosshair. And a big boar.

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1899H 22HP

Lyman Alaskan. Plain crosshair.

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One on right is 250 Barrel Band. Lyman Alaskan. Plain crosshair.

One on left is the 22HP above.

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bunch of 99s with stiths. Bottom one is an R with a regular mount because it is factory drilled and tapped.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS
Bunch of 99s with stiths. Bottom one is an R with a regular mount because it is factory drilled and tapped.

Is that 4th from the bottom a 1"? Have not seen very many 1" Stiths with the front bell.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are nice, but it's true you don't see them often. My 2nd Stith was one, only one I've had. Hunting rat:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KeithNyst

Is that 4th from the bottom a 1"? Have not seen very many 1" Stiths with the front bell.

Yes. I have three of them. All with Leupold Mountaineer scopes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. C'mon Jeff, tell us how you really feel about Stiths! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on liking Stith mounts, I had one on a pre'64 M/70 .257 Roberts with a Lyman Alaskan. I also like G & H mounts on rifles that have already tapped for them. In a 1" scope I like Weaver K2.5 and V4.5 with post and crosshair reticle or 3 minute LEE dot. All of my custom .22 rimfire sporters have Alaskans with crosshair and LEE dot. For the serious hunter, a Leupold Alaskan makes more sense from the standpoint of more modern optics and no worries about fogging.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's another with a front bell, an early Weaver KV.

[Linked Image]

And a Lyman Alaskan with a post.

[Linked Image]

I really like the looks of the Stith mounts on the '99's even though they may not be period-correct.
yooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
[Linked Image]

This is an antelope that I killed with a Weaver KV 1.75x-5x on Stiths at 300 yards in a 30+ mph crosswind. Drew sold me the mounts and Lightfoot sold me the scope. Drew was their, he saw the whole thing.

The point is not that I am some kind of talented sniper because I am not. The point is you don't need a 14x-50mm scope and a belted magnum to kill at long range.

Just sayin...

Ironic thing is that I was hunting with a Rem 700 in 25-06 and a 3x9-40 and shot a goat at less than half the distance that Randy did. The shot he made with the 300 was a pretty good distance. I don't recall if we had a range finder or if we paced it off, but after it went down, it was a LONG walk, over a deep ravine to get to the goat. 300 yards easily and windy for sure.

Andrew
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.