Hard to argue with that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B6

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Royce
Couple of points.. First of all, in my post, I said "full power loads" were not good to start a youngster with. Second point, if a beginning shoot is the size of a typical 11 or 12 year old, many 30/06 rifles are a little to heavy to be an ideal starting rifle.
Have seen way too many 12 year old first year hunters lugging around Dad's model 700 30/06 that weighs close to 9 pounds with scope, sling, and a full magazine of full power factory loads.

Yeah Royce, I have seen the same and have the same comical picture in my head as I type this, where the gun seems to dwarf the kid. I knew several cohorts when I was 12 who lugged dad's 30-06 their first years out in the field, including at least one Garand. I agree it's not ideal. Those kids got their deer though. We aren't talking about ideal here; we're talking about whether the 30-06 will work.

I grew up with a hand-loading father, so the concept of non-tailored ammo is somewhat foreign to me. Even my dad's "full power loads" were often far from it, because he worked up loads for what was most accurate, starting low and stopping when he saw what he wanted. He did not own a chronograph. I have gone far beyond the explorations he did, and have learned that it is a simple thing for the relatively experienced handloader to micromanage how a load will perform in terms of component consumption, velocity, trajectory, etc. Bringing this all back to the 30-06: this vanilla cartridge has over 100 years of load data out there doing just this sort of purpose tailoring, from gallery practice loads to tusker slaying. My point is that the proven flexibility of the round speaks to it's formidable utility.

Back to a kid's first gun for deer/antelope, I lean more and more toward an inexpensive light, compact, fast-twist 223 that a youngster or recoil-/report-shy greenhorn can quickly and easily learn to master for shots as far away as the shooter is comfortable with, namely 100-200 yards. The Ruger Easy-Bake Oven.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jorge,

The question that started this thread wasn't, "What would you use if you ever hunted brown bears? Instead it was: "When will .30-06 not work?"

Please explain how your post has anything to do with answering that question.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, just trying to stay on point.

Then I mis-spoke and (not trying to be a smart ass either) I should start a thread "when will the 22lr not work"?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A rifle platform too large for a younger shooter isn't really the theme or intent of the thread as a rifle too large for the user could apply to just about any cartridge?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Aussie
A platform too large for a young shooter is probably not relevant but I think the 30/06 being too much for beginning shooters is relevant, just because it occurs so often.

Last edited by Royce; 05/11/15.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Royce,
I agree in principle, but am still waiting for an animal to be nominated where it won't work.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
After shooting two elk at over 400 yards and hitting both too far back, you might consider not shooting at elk over 400 yards--not a bigger cartridge.

You're not defending the lies you put forth in your previous posts. I'll accept that as your tacit admission you know they were lies and cannot be defended.

As to the two elk, it is debatable whether both were hit "too far back". Definitely true for the second, but we've been eating on the first for 1-1/2 years now, which was shot at 487 yards. What I said about it was I hit it "a little further back than I wanted". Nevertheless the .338WM and 225g AB put it on the ground in short order.

If you can claim you always hit exactly where you want, good for you - but I doubt it.

Losing one animal in 33 years of hunting isn't a perfect record but it isn't bad, either.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Just an antidotal story---
About 5 years ago when I was combing the gun racks at a local gun/reloading shop in Superior WI, a man in in his late 60's said to me " do you see any Hornady 165 g Interlocks ? " I showed him where they were on the shelf. He said that he hadn't bought any since they changed the label on the box a few years back, hence the confusion. He then proceeded to put 10 boxes of the bullets on the counter. I said to him, " you must really like those bullets." He replied to me, " I could save you a lot of time and grief. You see all of those guns on the rack over there? All you need is a 30-06, with these bullets, over 57 grains of 4350. I am the hand loader for our group up in Ontario Canada, where I am from. I have been loading these bullets for all 8 of our group members including me since 1972, before they were called Interlocks just spire points. Each member of our group has taken a moose and a deer every year since then and we have never lost an animal. That combination ( 30-06 / 165 Hornady Interlock ) has proven itself over and over. It is all that you need. " It would be hard to argue with a track record like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That man told you some good advice.

That has proven to be a good recipe in several '06s for me. I preferred the flat-base bullets, so they discontinued them...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Centex Bill
I have a chance to go elk hunting? Is 308 Winc big enough for elk.

Bill

In a word, "Yes".

Although I've always used bigger (7mm RM, .30-06, .300WM, .45-70), in 31 years I've never "needed" anything bigger. My longest shot was this year, 399 yards, and I'm quite sure a .308 would have done just fine.

The trick is placement. With good placement almost anything will work.

David

My oldest daughter will be going on her first elk hunt this year. She is a fairly petite woman but she likes my Ruger Scout in .308W. Since she is a lefty and now a full-time CO resident again, I suggested it was time for her to get her own rifle. On my recommendation she is now the proud owner of a wood/blue Ruger Hawkeye .308W that she will use for both WY antelope and CO elk this fall.

By the time those hunts come around I expect to have a new son-in-law, too. As a wedding gift he will get a .30-06 rifle, same as I gave my first son-in-law on his wedding day..

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/11/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't John H. Brandt use ole' sporterized .30-06 Springfield to bring to bear problematic tigers, gaur, bears and panthers? To answer the question not a whole lot unless one wants to hunt dangerous African game and at least 9,3x62 or 9,5x73 is minimum required by law.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.