Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 30-06 is so good that pretty much all cartridge development since 1906, at least as far as hunting rounds go, has been superfluous and nothing more than mental masturbation for the rifle loonies.

This. It is funny we still debate something that was pretty much figured out in the 1930's. Modern bullets, optics, and rangefinders just make the '06 even better. It is obviously not a great high volume varmint gun, but that's about it's only shortcoming. Recoil is a bit tough for some, but reduced recoil loads fix that. Loonies like to point out the 'wasted space' of the long action. I like shooting smaller calibers, but I can't really imaging anything in NA that the '06 isn't well equipped for.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only problem with the '06 is that everybody has one of the damn things (including me)
How are you gonna brag about your rifle if everybody in camp has the same thing?
Hunters like to be unique. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tracks
The only problem with the '06 is that everybody has one of the damn things (including me)
How are you gonna brag about your rifle if everybody in camp has the same thing?

Using "only a 30-06" is bragging

One nice thing about all the 30 calibers is that factory bullets are available in a range of a factor of two 110 gr to 220r. and if you consider the 55gr Accelerators and 250 gr Woodleighs it is even higher.

My favorite for use in Alaska is the Nosler Partition 200 gr bullet and it is a fantastic long range hunting bullet and works superb at spitting range on critters as large as our big bears.
I did use the 220 Partition on the bear in the photo as my 30-06 was built with a fast twist to utilize them. Although it shoots 150 gr bullets well also.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I'll also say that with regard to military rounds, the .308 was a mistake. It's whole reason for being was commonality between machine gun rounds and rifle rounds with the understanding that riflemen needed a shorter round so they could carry more ammo. Well, the .308 is a little shorter but not much lighter and regardless, it was only the rifleman's round for less than a decade.

What we should have today are 5.56 rifles and 30-06 machine guns and sniper rifles with today's powder it would be a significant upgrade in performance.

The Army Ordnance Corp wanted .30/06 performance from a shorter cartridge. 150 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. They started with the 300 Savage cartridge and tinkered with it till they got what they wanted. Then forced all of NATO to agree to adopt it.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 04/23/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Tracks

Using "only a 30-06" is bragging

One nice thing about all the 30 calibers is that factory bullets are available in a range of a factor of two 110 gr to 220r. and if you consider the 55gr Accelerators and 250 gr Woodleighs it is even higher.

My favorite for use in Alaska is the Nosler Partition 200 gr bullet and it is a fantastic long range hunting bullet and works superb at spitting range on critters as large as our big bears.
I did use the 220 Partition on the bear in the photo as my 30-06 was built with a fast twist to utilize them. Although it shoots 150 gr bullets well also.

Only problems I've had with the 06 not working is when I forget to load a primer or powder.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters

So the question really is: when will a properly loaded 30-06 not work and we need something flatter shooting or harder hitting to hit/kill our intended game?

Working, after a fashion, & being optimum are 2 different things.

No problem at all with the '06 on everything but dangerous game & for that I simply want the security of a bigger bore & more HP with a heavier bullet.

If I had no choice but the '06, I think I'd pass on some animals.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got to thinking. Of course I'm on morphine and oxycodone at the moment so that may be a bad thing... or not. smile

When will a .30-06 not work? When the bolt handle falls off or the trigger breaks?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

So the question really is: when will a properly loaded 30-06 not work and we need something flatter shooting or harder hitting to hit/kill our intended game?

No problem at all with the '06 on everything but dangerous game & for that I simply want the security of a bigger bore & more HP with a heavier bullet.

MM

Agreed with may not be optimum for some animals.

What animals/conditions do you feel it inadequate or you would pass on?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Based on my nearly non existent knowledge of African hunting, I don't think the law allows hunting of the "big 5" with anything less than a .375 ...so in that regard, I guess a 30-06 would not "work", although I am sure that all these species have been killed by a 30-06 or some equivalent at some point.

WDM Bell shot elephants with a 7x57....everyone thinks they know that story. Eleanor O'Connor shot lions, tigers and maybe an elephant or two with her 30-06. Col Patterson killed the lions of Tsavo with a .303 British....which is like a 30-06 youth load. No "trophy fees" in those days and as long as they did not get stomped or clawed I doubt people in those times were too worried about wounding critters, especially those that were making a nuisance of themselves.

More recently, I remember reading about a gun writer who got a special permit to kill a Cape Buffalo with a 30-06....I think he used solid bullets. He posed with a dead buff so I guess he got it done.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Brown or grizzly bear at close range, Cape Buffalo, lion, obviously elephant.

We all know the '06 will kill all of those animals & that's not the point, but I want something bigger for those listed & could easily opt out if the '06 was the only choice.

Can't imagine that most Alaskan brown bear guides would prefer their clients to have an '06 instead of a 338 or 375 in their hands assuming they shoot them all equally well (which I can).

MM

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I was a kid, Dad used to tell me that all I'd ever need was a good .22 rifle, a .30-06 rifle and a good shotgun.

Over the years I've played with an awful lot of different cartridges and rifles, and have seen that Dad was right, 50 years ago.

About the only other cartridge I "need" is some sort of fast-stepping varminter.

Other than that, the good old .30-06 is still quite a performer afield.

Phil, thanks for sharing those photos again!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed on all accounts. I was thinking primarily for NA. I'll likely never hunt brown bears, elefinks, lions/tigers, or cape buffalo so those are kind of moot for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We all know the '06 will kill all of those animals & that's not the point, but I want something bigger for those listed & could easily opt out if the '06 was the only choice.

Can't imagine that most Alaskan brown bear guides would prefer their clients to have an '06 instead of a 338 or 375 in their hands assuming they shoot them all equally well (which I can).

MM

You may not be able to understand it but believe me when I say that most Alaskan guides have more confidence when they see a hunter show up with a well worn 30-06, or even a 270, than with a 338 or 375.

The 30-06 has been a favorite brown bear cartridge for a number of experienced guides and gov't hunters and biologists , even many who owned 375's ! Hosea Sarber, who was a gov't hunter, wrote that he actually preferred his 30-06 over his 375 as it killed just as well and didn't kick as bad.
I know of experienced guides today who still carry and prefer the 30-06 over the 375 for brown bear hunting due to it's ability to hold more rounds in the magazine.

And if you want to talk about Africa, Mike LaGrange, who killed thousands of elephants as culler, used a pair of M-1 Garands in 30-06 !

I still stand by my tag line. If a hunter knows how to shoot there is not much they can not accomplish with a properly loaded 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

MM

MM

I'd use a properly loaded 30-06 in a heart beat.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 30-06 will ALWAYS work....... NUFF said..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A 30-06 will ALWAYS work....... NUFF said..

+1.
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think MM, and I know my own response, was aimed at the effectiveness of the hammer. If I was after elephants, cape buffalo, lions, I'd likely want something with a bit more diameter and horsepower. We know it will work but if I'm spending $10k for a high end African hunt, I'd learn how to shoot a better hammer. The point is a bit moot because I don't think a 30 cal is legal for the above mentioned species.

I have zero experience with Ursus arctos, but I could see how a 200 gr Partition from a 30-06 would be just as effective hammer as a 338 250 gr. I've shot both cartridges with both bullets and they seem to penetrate the same and the mushroomed bullets look quite similar. I haven't shot 375's into much so don't know. But if the guys that do this for a living say so, I'm in and cool with it. In lieu of an 06, I'd likely drag my 06 35 caliber derivative (35 Wh) into such situations. I've really grown to like my 22" barrel M77. Plus it shoots 250 Partitions into small groups.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Phil,

I am curious about the rifle in your pics with the bear and Ibex. What are the specs? Mostly interested in action and barrel length.

I still recall one of your articles on your 458 - Ole Ugly I think you called it. I find your writing informing and entertaining.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MM and bwinters, you are not wrong in your opinion that bigger hammers and larger rifles are sometimes the wisest and best choice. I still prefer carrying my 458 when I have to wrinkle a wounded brown bear out of the pucker brush but I know from experience that if the hunter had used a rifle that they could shoot well, rather than some magnum they were afraid of, I wouldn't have to go in after a wounded animal.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rifle with the Ibex is a Luxus 30-06 with a 26" bbl and the bolt action is an FN action built by Lon Paul with a 22" stainless steel barrel built by Danny Peterson.
Stephen Dodd Hughes wrote up a little piece on it in the March/April 2014 issue of Sports Afield.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458Win; 04/25/15. Reason: photo added

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.