Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Brown or grizzly bear at close range, Cape Buffalo, lion, obviously elephant.

We all know the '06 will kill all of those animals & that's not the point, but I want something bigger for those listed & could easily opt out if the '06 was the only choice.

Can't imagine that most Alaskan brown bear guides would prefer their clients to have an '06 instead of a 338 or 375 in their hands assuming they shoot them all equally well (which I can).

MM

You may not be able to understand it but believe me when I say that most Alaskan guides have more confidence when they see a hunter show up with a well worn 30-06, or even a 270, than with a 338 or 375.

The 30-06 has been a favorite brown bear cartridge for a number of experienced guides and gov't hunters and biologists , even many who owned 375's ! Hosea Sarber, who was a gov't hunter, wrote that he actually preferred his 30-06 over his 375 as it killed just as well and didn't kick as bad.
I know of experienced guides today who still carry and prefer the 30-06 over the 375 for brown bear hunting due to it's ability to hold more rounds in the magazine.

And if you want to talk about Africa, Mike LaGrange, who killed thousands of elephants as culler, used a pair of M-1 Garands in 30-06 !

I still stand by my tag line. If a hunter knows how to shoot there is not much they can not accomplish with a properly loaded 30-06.

Absolutely Phil! But I'd prefer you backing me up with "Old Ugly". If I took on a bear with my rifle

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice rifles - thanks for posting.

Those look to be some very big brown bear tracks.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brown or grizzly bear at close range, Cape Buffalo, lion, obviously elephant.

We all know the '06 will kill all of those animals & that's not the point, but I want something bigger for those listed & could easily opt out if the '06 was the only choice.

Can't imagine that most Alaskan brown bear guides would prefer their clients to have an '06 instead of a 338 or 375 in their hands assuming they shoot them all equally well (which I can).

MM

You may not be able to understand it but believe me when I say that most Alaskan guides have more confidence when they see a hunter show up with a well worn 30-06, or even a 270, than with a 338 or 375.

Phil,

I fully agree on the shoot-ability issue, & I qualified my comment on the bigger guns to that effect.

Might be hard for you to believe too, & I'm certain you've had experiences that led to your comments, but there really are guys who can shoot a 338 or a 375 just as well as an '06.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the shoot-ability and one's confidence factor in a rifle plays as important a factor as the caliber.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, it does...........some guys have trouble with a .22; some guys have no trouble with a 458. smile

I've killed more stuff, including elk & moose, with a 270 than everything else put together because it's very shootable, I have complete confidence in it, & I always know exactly where the round is going to go & never wished I had a bigger gun.

But then again, I've also killed a lot with a 338...........

MM

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, it does...........some guys have trouble with a .22; some guys have no trouble with a 458. smile

I've killed more stuff, including elk & moose, with a 270 than everything else put together because it's very shootable, I have complete confidence in it, & I always know exactly where the round is going to go & never wished I had a bigger gun.

MM

So I guess the real question everyone always wants to know is how much deader were they when you shot them with the 338 than when you shot them with the 270?
wink

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

So I guess the real question everyone always wants to know is how much deader were they when you shot them with the 338 than when you shot them with the 270?
wink

laugh Laughin' here.........yeah, they were all dead; & on animals killed with either, not much difference in effectiveness.........but that isn't on dangerous game.

I'm sure I could kill a bear, lion or whatever with an '06 & a 200 gr Partition, but since I haven't, I'd prolly still feel more comfortable with a 338 or a 375........while you cover me with that big ol' 458. wink

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread. But Mr. Phil, don't lay that rifle in the mud!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love the 30/06. I started there and could have ended there,too.

But I'm not getting rid of my other stuff just because i have a good 30/06 smile

In their place I like my 270's, 7 mags and the 375H&H just as well.

If I get to hunt brown bear again; or Cape Buffalo,I will take a 375 H&H. I've been shooting it for 30+ years.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When will it not work? When the owner is afraid of the recoil. Otherwise its punched tags and filled freezers.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/25/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
When will it not work?

When the shooter fails to properly place the bullet in the right place.

That can be said for any cartridge that's used for hunting. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can't rally think of a situation in NA that it would not work with the right bullet. Is it a varmint rifle, no. Is it the best for big bears, no. Would it work? Yes. If I was not a looney, it would be choice as a do all and anything in NA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think modern hunters tend to place too much emphasis on powder bottles (cartridge case) and velocity/energy figures and not enough on bullet construction. There is, in my mind, an advantage to velocities in the 2400-2800 fps range, in terms of being more predictable in how a bullet behaves when it hits an animal at normal hunting ranges of 300 yards or less. And a .30-06 will do this with bullets of 180-200 grains...and they make the partition in those weights.
I suspect if the .30-06 hadn't been designed 109 years ago, and appeared today as the ".30-270 Remchestuger Magnum," it would lauded by many as what we'd been waiting for all these years. A reasonable cartridge with long range potential, liveable recoil, and good barrel life.
I am probably coming close to plagiarizing several ancient and extant gunwriters, and for that, I apologize. But I've known too many folks who "traded up" from a .30-06 or .270 to something way bigger, and started missing and losing animals, including elk and deer, cause they didn't practice with, and were secretly scared of, their new rifles.

Last edited by 300_savage; 04/26/15.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Another recent trend is fat cases with little body taper and a steep shoulder. Some of the new designs do shoot well but the old 06 case was built with a few things in mind that get overlooked or undervalued these days. I love the way am 06 case feeds and loads in most actions and like the mag capacity. I also seem to get less pressure/ bolt thrust extraction problems. The long neck is nice, it's efficient and works with most powders.

I love the 06 on a rem action because I've got room to seat them out and room to fit my fat fingers in the loading port. It's pretty impressive what a 30-06 with a 208 amax at 2700 mv will do at long range too.

I've been on a quest to get my custom go anywhere do anything rifle right for a while. It's a stainless 700 trued with a 23" 10 twist rem mag sporter custom barrel on it but unfortunately it doesn't shoot well. I like the way it feeds and handles so I bought a different brand barrel, rock creek this time, and plan to try again. I'm going with a little faster 9.33" twist and hope to give the 215 hybrids a try. I'm crossing my fingers that this one will shoot at least as well as my stock T3 and first gen Ti.

I think I have well over a dozen 30-06's mostly because of my JC higgens 50 and 51's, nato model 60's and colt 57 rifles. Whenever I see a commercial fn Mauser auctioned rifle I tend to pick it up and most are in 30-06. My friends say I'm stupid for having a big stack of them and that the commercial fn's will never be worth much but I think in 20-30 more years I'll be glad I grabbed them.

Lately all of my build interests are 700's or clones in the stainless synthetic garb but when I get old if I decide to build some Mauser type customs I'm going to have pleanty of actions to use. I've got lots of commercial fn's, some 1999 argentines, some 08 brazilians, some steyr built 1940 660's and a few others. I'm still holding out hope of finding a 33/40 one day too.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/26/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I'm going with a little faster 9.33" twist and hope to give the 215 hybrids a try.

Give the new Nosler LRAB, 190 & 210 grainers a whirl...........BC of .640 & .730 respectively.

And it's a bonded bullet.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burleyboy, that reminds me of a friend with a .223 WSSM that didn't feed really great. After he traded it he noted that "weebles wobble but they don't fall down." .30-06s fall down nicely and feed into that chamber.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All this debating makes me wonder how the .30 carbine came about.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bwinters
Has anyone ever run into a situation where a larger caliber, faster bullet, or some other combination was required to kill an animal – that a properly loaded 30-06 couldn’t handle?

There are times when killing isn't enough--you actually have to anchor an animal on the spot, and not just to stop a charge.

I was on a control hunt for feral cattle on a small coffee farm on the Big Island of Hawai'i a few years ago. The farm is about 800 yards long by 500 yards wide. It's surrounded by thick brush, and you hunt the edges as the game comes out of the brush and into the orchard at dusk. The upshot is that you're always near the edge of the property and anything that isn't anchored stands a good chance of getting into nasty brush on someone else's place. Hawaiian land ownership issues and local politics being what they are, that can make meat recovery (among other things) a monumental headache involving police, attorneys, and bad feelings that persist for years.

These cattle went about 700 lbs on the hoof. In three days, I got nine of then, killing about as many with a 9.3x62 as I killed with a 30/06. Nothing I hit with a 270- or 286-grain 9.3mm bullet went more than about 20 yards. The ones that I hit with the 30/06 (180-grain Swift A-Frame or 220-grain CoreLokt) went farther. One big bull made it into the woods with a 180-grain A-Frame through his lungs. About an hour later I got to listen to him scream as a herd of wild hogs pulled him down. Judging by the noise, they didn't wait for him to die before they started eating him.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm talking about one experience with only nine animals, but if I had to make that hunt again, I'd choose a 9.3x62 with 286-grain Partitions loaded to 2,350 fps over a 30/06 HANDS DOWN. The 45/70 with 405-grain factory loads might be even better. Neither of those cartridges kicks harder than the 30/06 with those loads, so they're just as easy to handle and to shoot well at speed. That matters because several of the animals that I shot were within 25 yards, and I was able to hit more than one in the herd at a time--those shots came about as fast as wing shots on doves or quail.

But short of a highly specialized situation like that or stopping a charge, the 30/06 is enough for anything.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
All this debating makes me wonder how the .30 carbine came about.

It was supposed to be a replacement for the Colt 1911 for rear-echelon people who can't shoot a pistol.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I'm going with a little faster 9.33" twist and hope to give the 215 hybrids a try.

Give the new Nosler LRAB, 190 & 210 grainers a whirl...........BC of .640 & .730 respectively.

And it's a bonded bullet.

MM
Nosler BC's are inflated.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (6mmbrfan, 35, 14idaho, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.