Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We need to get past that 'every kid needs a PhD' to make a living.

We end up with 10's of thousands of whinny ass, young adults bitching because they have $150K in student loan debt and can't get a job in Italian Reconstruction History post Roman Empire.

I don't know how many thousands of dollars I've wanted to hand over to people to do work around my place, but apparently no one wants to lay bricks or swing a hammer, and the few that do (and are good at it) are backed up to the second coming.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There has been a lot of talk about the minimum wage and how jobs like those at McDonald's are not intended to support families. I completely agree. But on the other hand I can remember when I was a kid where guys had jobs like working at Western Auto. With that job they supported a family where the wife did not work.

The government has destroyed this country. Our money is worth less and less because of its monetary policies. Taxes are such that more and more of this worthless money is taken by the various criminal...I mean governmental organizations. Unchecked immigration keeps down wages. And so on and so forth.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A bunch of it is because people didn't buy something until they had the money saved for it. I don't feel much pity for some of the folks I hear bitching, when mom/dad and 3 kids are all humping around an Iphone 6, 2-3 cars in the driveway under 2 years old and 7 TV's in the house.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A bunch of it is because people didn't buy something until they had the money saved for it. I don't feel much pity for some of the folks I hear bitching, when mom/dad and 3 kids are all humping around an Iphone 6, 2-3 cars in the driveway under 2 years old and 7 TV's in the house.

Spending money is a better deal than keeping it in the bank. You get a better return. And don't think that is accidental. The entire engine of this false economy is monetary devaluation and consumerism. Encourage people to save by raising interest rates and otherwise promoted sound money habits, and it all falls apart.

Pay attention. The latest push from the banksters is to do away with cash. The argument they are making is that at 0%, interest rates aren't low enough. They should actually be in negative territory. But as long as people have the option of cash money, they can't go that low because people would just take their money out and keep it in cash before paying a negative interest rate.

Think about that. Cash is the only thing keeping banks from charging US interest to keep OUR money. The world is on its head. Nothing from the old days applies.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you seen all of the fees banks charge?

We went to open a local savings account at a bank, they wanted to charge an annual fee. For a savings account? No friggin way. Walked out of that bank.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nathanial
Time to give eugenics a serious look.
Hitler didn't do that theory any favors.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got a new job at the zoo.....castrating elephants! Pay isn't too hot...but the tips are good!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Unfortunately jobs for unskilled/low skilled workers are rapidly being take over by computers or shipped offshore. Retraining and gaining a skill where there is a future is the key. Financing should be available for those who take the initiative to research and seek it out. Many highly skilled/educated worker(myself included) lost their jobs when the economy tanked in '09. I searched for work in my field for eighteen months before changing to a closely related job in order to have employment. This required that I take a 30% pay cut but fortunately I was in a position that I was able to do it in order to have a job.

Too true, gunwizard.

Read Jeremy Rifkin's book, The Future of Work. That's how it is and ever will be. Any redundant task can be computerized and, thus, automated. 70% of all work in the U.S.A. is of that type. After perusing that tome, read The Bell Curve.

Like Steelhead pointed out, if you ain't at the top of the heap in your chosen tech/professional field, you might better have a very marketable skill.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pay isn't too hot...but the tips are good!!

The tips are from the "circumcision" process.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The recent push for a $15.00 minimum wage will advance even burger flipping into a fully automated phase. No such thing as an entry level job anymore.

Likely fewer will be hired, and it will much harder to advance or reward those that are the best of workers.

With a PhD in hand my career startup did not pay that well.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Income redistribution via the government will continue to grow. We'll have more and more people who simply don't work. They might not have anything to contribute through working, but they still vote and that's enough to get a politician to take your money and give it to them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It ain't gonna be just manual labor jobs lost to robots. My brother writes programs/software for businesses and he says right now most of the office personnel/white collar positions could easily be replaced by computer. Further, he says a well written, comprehensive program could easily and efficiently replace such as accountants, lawyers, tax preparers, architects etc.. Professionals who ask what are the low skilled laborers gonna do will be able to ask them personally when they're both standing in the unemployment line.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
It ain't gonna be just manual labor jobs lost to robots. My brother writes programs/software for businesses and he says right now most of the office personnel/white collar positions could easily be replaced by computer. Further, he says a well written, comprehensive program could easily and efficiently replace such as accountants, lawyers, tax preparers, architects etc.. Professionals who ask what are the low skilled laborers gonna do will be able to ask them personally when they're both standing in the unemployment line.

Yes, no, maybe. Computers can't give an opinion on a child custody case or argue it in front of a judge or jury. Computers can't represent you at an audit when the IRS gets after you or call up the state and chat with someone and get a favorable decision when the state revenue department says that you should have been collecting sales tax on those materials. And so on and so forth.

The law is sufficiently nuanced and murky enough that there will always be jobs for lawyers and accountants and the like. Go to five different accountants and get seven different opinions on deductions and the like. No computer can represent you when you sue or get sued.

Of the professionals, the ones that really need to worry are the doctors. There will be a lot of pressure to lower their salaries in coming years and computerized diagnostics, PAs, and nurse practitioners are really going to cut into their numbers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have mentioned this before; robotics are replacing human workers. We are already at an all time high for unemployment, and that will only increase.
Again, how are these workers, who will be displaced by AI machines, going to support themselves?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/opinion/sunday/the-machines-are-coming.html?_r=0

The only workers that have to worry about their jobs being replaced by computers are those without skills. This is like worrying about all the buggy makers not having jobs when the auto replaced horses.

Last edited by ConradCA; 04/22/15.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has been going on since the industrial revolution, and was the main reason for the emergence of unions and the communist party. People go into business to make money, not to provide jobs and benefits. As technology advances, inventors will develop more efficient and cost effective ways to accomplish routine tasks and operations. Unfortunately, the human being is not one of those.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If or when jobs are lost to automation,the true effect will be tax implications as there are fewer and fewer people contributing into the system now.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have mentioned this before; robotics are replacing human workers. We are already at an all time high for unemployment, and that will only increase.
Again, how are these workers, who will be displaced by AI machines, going to support themselves?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/opinion/sunday/the-machines-are-coming.html?_r=0

tell them all to move to florida

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it is going to become a combination of Brave New World, 1984, and Planet of the Apes with Obamadeath Panels running at the max full time to handle all seditious objectionists and useless eaters. shocked

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I think it is going to become a combination of Brave New World, 1984, and Planet of the Apes with Obamadeath Panels running at the max full time to handle all seditious objectionists and useless eaters. shocked

L.W.

Soylent Green...or with the recent influx of the "we do what white America won't" segment...

Soylent Bean

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.