Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not sure where to put this so it landed in this forum.

For the standard Mosin Nagant 91/30, there are Izhevsk round and hex receivers and Tula round and hex receivers. What makes one arsenal or receiver shape more desirable than another?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Some of the hex receivers were built prior to 1899, making them antiques, and hence not "firearms".

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington or Westinghouse?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These were everywhere in varying condition for about $140 to maybe $180 for excellent condition models but the supply ran dry until just now. One dealer just got in a bunch of crates of mixed bag rifles.

There are those four kinds in this lot - Izhevsk and Tula in both round and hex receivers. Price is a bit higher than it has been for Mosins but based on a video of three different crates these look to be in really good shape. You can pick the kind you want with a premium on the Izhevsk hex, Tula round and then Tula hex being the most expensive but it could just be because of the relative scarcity of each kind.

Since I've enjoyed the other three milsurps I've bought I was toying with the idea of getting one of these and just wondered if one was appreciably better than the other.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Tula made over 17 million Nagants, Almost half of the 37 million made.

Tula Nagants are not "scarce".

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Condition trumps all on these later batches.

There are so many variations its mind boggling.

I've got a Tula hex that has French, Westinghouse and Remington bolt parts, a Sako barrel, a stock that has a Finn late style forearm spliced to an original 91 style stock, Czar's crest still legible, rear sight marked in Arshins and meters, Winter War capture stamps etc.

Call it a , "Finnish matching".

Bore looks like a sewer pipe, yet it is very accurate with 75 year old ammo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
From what I gather in their ad pricing is based on scarcity relative to each other in this particular batch. Apparently there are fewer Tula hex receivers than Tula round ones, and fewer Izhevsk hex receivers than round ones. In fact they just started advertising this new batch yesterday and they sold out of the Tula hex receivers already.

So the original question still stands. Is there anything about these different kinds that makes one more desirable than the other? I've watched a few youtube videos on the subject - there are dozens if not hundreds - and so far nothing really addresses this.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks - the ones I looked at in gunshows and at Cabelas were very rough, the stocks were all beat up.

This dealer has a video purportedly showing them opening random crates for the first time and the stocks all look to be in very good shape, some almost unissued or probably arsenal refinished. The same dealer has some Swiss K31's which they reported to be among the best they'd ever seen. Based on pics on gunbroker and other places of the beat to hell buttstocks vs. the one I got they seem to be on the level about the condition of their firearms.

I know the Finnish Mosins are head and shoulders above the Russian made rifles and it's not like one would expect the same quality as the Swiss K31 but just wondering what the differences were, if any.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the hex recievers i believe are older than the round ones. I do believe the finns preferred the hex recievers when they were doing their rebuild.
The finn mosin while maybe not pleasing so much to look at as a K31 probably shoots just as good. The finns liked the idea of the rifle, didn't like the way the russians built it. Basically junked the rifle except for the hex reciever.
Try an adjustible front sight, floated good trigger.
I got one a long time ago, and had it out on the desert with me. Took a rod and cleaned the cosmo out of the barrel loaded up with a clip of five rounds of russian military surp, and sitting on my tailgate put five out of five at 100yards offhand into a one gallon folgers plastic coffee can.
Just from memory i think mine has a sako barrel on it too.
it took be a long time to understand and appreciate that mosin design, but it is quite good. Some of them imported from georgia that were rebuilt after WWII and stored in the salt mines were in quite good shape.
I remember some coming from an importer in florida in immaculate shape. Also, look up the M38 and M44, carbine versions shooting the same round. Difference is the finger grooves in one , none in the other, a folding bayonet on one, none on the other. They do push you on your shoulder.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/22/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jim, i have had a thing for military firearms for years. I was thinking of one today, the only one i ever refinished. It was a russian capture K98. I was watching that german t.v. program on war as mentioned in another thread and got to thinking about it.
the russians being the pagans they are, dipped them on the metal for a cheap park that is rather crude, then some kind of horse finish applied to the wood, in additon to stamping their own markings on the wood.
Mine had that done to it, but it had "blood rust" around the breech. I just couldn't stand it, so i reblued the metal, cleaned up the stock in the fashion the germans used in 1934, and decided to get rid of the pits from the blood. All the time hoping that poor guy that bled all over it would understand. Put a leather german sling on it, shot it one time, and then put it up. I think the guy that had it was watching me today. For sure it was used in combat on the ost front. If it could only talk.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I never cared for the Mosins, based on their general crudity and simplistic design intended for easy use by illiterate peasants. Then I picked up a SAKO arsenal refurb with an excellent bore and was totally amazed at how accurate it was. That didn't change my general opinion of it and away it went in a horse trade. Everybody should wrestle with one of these beasts at least once, I suppose.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got over any Mosin-Nagant curiosity in the 1960's, since one was my very first centerfire fire. Purchased a Westinghouse for $10 and "sporterized" it with the help of a friend of my dad's. It shot well with my Lee Loader handloads, but after trading it a few years later as the partial price for something else my experience seemed more than sufficient.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While not really a favorite I do have a Mosin that will shoot pretty darned well. Shooting steel at 600 yards it does quite well....

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a M38 Mosin. I don't particularly like it, but it is accurate. Does anybody really like them? I'm not sure how you could. On the other hand, they do shoot well and if I were to be dropped off on another planet tomorrow with a case or two of ammunition with no possibility of rescue or any sort of repair facilities beyond the most basic tools, I would probably pick a Mosin as my rifle. It shoots a potent caliber that is pretty much the equivalent of the 30-06. I don't know how one could be broken honestly. It would make a very effective club and with a bayonet, a great six foot long spear. If you can't kill it with a Mosin by shooting it, clubbing it, or stabbing it, you are probably a goner anyway.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's good to know I can definitely kill the steel plate I'd be shooting at. wink

Seriously, this is just another in a long series of wild hairs I get and I was trying to determine if the idea was worth pursuing. I have a Yugoslavian M24/47 8x57, a Swede 96 6.5x55 and a beautifully made Swiss K31 7.5x55, all of which I like a lot, but no Mosin Nagant. The reason I didn't buy one when they were cheap and plentiful just a while ago was keeping them supplied. The .312 bore size is a bit odd and not in line with my general stock of projectiles and while surplus ammo is still around it's loaded to full power and I tend to load down these rifles with steel buttplates. Plus, while the Mosin has that certain Slavic charm of being damn near indestructible it would not stand up to comparison with the incredible workmanship of the Swede and Swiss rifles or the classic status and operation of the Yugo M98 clone.

The feeling will probably pass as the current batch is priced at $189.99 with $30 and $40 premiums for the better or perhaps relatively scarcer variations and they just raised those prices from $20 and $30 respectively since last night. But, I can only see prices going up for any firearm so if anyone is interested the dealer is Classic Firearms, https://www.classicfirearms.com/ and the Mosins are shown as the first rifle on their home page.

They have a video of them opening crates of these rifles and from what I could see this batch does look to be in very good shape compared to the beat up specimens I've personally examined.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have bought a few things from classic in years past, never been disappointed. I think my finn mosin may have come from them, would have to check ther records to be sure.
those really are not bad prices for what i am seeing them open up compared to the beat to death ones at the local cabella's.
At the rhondy at lake roosevelt last month, a member here was pretty much routinely banging a steel gong at something like 350yards with one of those puppies.
They grow on you.
Start looking for a SVT 40 too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what i haven't tripped across yet is a german K98 with german markings that ended up in israel with israeli markings and converted to 7.62x51, at least at the price i want to pay.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
kevin has worked on them from his postings, but i did get into some reimport from israel m1carbines a few years ago. Pretty funky with the star of david on some of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.