-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I'm about to book a multiday Hunt in British Columbia - with an expensive price tag. I have never before purchased Trip Cancellation Insurance but was thinking it may be a good idea. My main concern is if I or a member of my family have a health condition which would not allow me to do this Mountain Hunt.
I contacted TravelGuard (recommended by the booking agent) and the cost was pretty high - over a $1,000 for the lowest price plan. TravelGuard is a package policy and offers various coverage's within the policy.
Anyone have any experience with this kind of coverage and offer some recommendations.

Thanking you in advance.

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Not for a hunt but we bought it for a trip to Jamaca. Turned out to be a great decision because about 7 days before we were supposed to be there a hurricane went thru. We called the insurance people and they held the trip and we went the next year. Simple quick process.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

I've purchased it a couple times and fortunately haven't had to use it. TravelGuard is highly regarded and the one I've used.

IIRC, Joel Blitz (member) had to use it last year or the year before and it saved his bacon to the tune of 15k.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mark,

The Hunting Report recommends Ripcord Travel Protection. They also do medical evacuation, etc. from the field, which TravelGuard does not do, if I remember correctly. I've bought TravelGuard for some trips of mine and luckily haven't used it. I'd look into Ripcord and see how they compare. You also might look into Global Rescue and see what they offer. I know they were the go to med evac company a lot of African hunters were using. Unfortunately, all of them will be pretty pricey, but Global Rescue, I thought, had some pretty reasonable short term insurance the last time I looked into it. Hope that helps.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always purchase Trip Insurance when scheduling a trip or vacation. Wouldn't plan a trip without it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I strongly recommend it. As SKane stated two years ago I had a SE Alaska goat hunt boone and paid for along with my airfare. I was smart enough to buy full trip coverage through Travel guard and am glad I did. Two months before I was to head out on my much anticipated goat hunt I was rushed to the ER with severe stomach pains. Was diagnosed with Mekles Diverticulum where they had to cut out about 4 inches of my intestine. Dr didn't feel I should be climbing mountains after such a procedure so I had to cancel. Filled out all paperwork and got a full refund including the airfare no questions asked. I highly recommend insurance and buy it for all my hunts. Good luck

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your input. Definitely make sense to get the coverage.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
check with the outfitter, I've never been on a guided hunt but see a lot of reports of outfitters working with people to postpone a hunt when needed.

maybe talk with the outfitter about paying him for some agreed upon "insurance" at a discounted rate rather than the insurance company if you think it may just happen to be a postponed hunt (few months/year) vs a canceled hunt

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
joelbiltz--can you tell us what travel insurance you used? I'm going on a safari to Africa in 2016, the travel agent said we didn't need travel insurance, she said the PH is very flexible if something comes up and will reschedule. On the airfare to Joberg, they have a contract with SAA, you cancel up to departure, you will lose about $500 of a $1600 airfare, she said the cost of the insurance wasn't worth it. Any advice? We didn't talk price. Thanks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
joelbiltz--can you tell us what travel insurance you used? I'm going on a safari to Africa in 2016, the travel agent said we didn't need travel insurance, she said the PH is very flexible if something comes up and will reschedule. On the airfare to Joberg, they have a contract with SAA, you cancel up to departure, you will lose about $500 of a $1600 airfare, she said the cost of the insurance wasn't worth it. Any advice? We didn't talk price. Thanks.

I used Travel Guard.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have used Travel Guard, for our last trip to Africa.
You are right, it is pricey. Fortunately, didn't have to find out of it would pay up, as the trip went flawlessly.

Travel insurance, like all insurance, is kinda like religion-
Better to believe in God, and find out later he doesn't exist, than to not believe, and find out later he does........

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Joel--thanks!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
Joel--thanks!

No problem guys. IMHO you can't afford to be without it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 44 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.