Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jimi99 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi, Lever action shooters I'm posting here because I would think that lever enthusiast would know my two caliber choices better then anyone, 25-20WCF or 38 special.
I have an English rook rifle made by BSA at the gunsmith he can re-line the barrel in 25-20 or Re-bore and chamber to 38 special.
My question is what would someone like yourself (much more gun experience them myself ) find more exciting to own take to the range and target shoot, hunting game not a factor, mostly at 50 yrds ,open sights shot off hand and benched for accuracy.
I will be handloading for either one. But can the 38 special stay fun and interesting and accurate enough to keep up with the 25-20 which I would imagine would probably feel like shooting a lazer beam with twice the FPS then the lumbering 38.
How does a 38 special +P with a 120grain bullet perform in a 25" rifle barrel?
I know it's a tough question but any Pros or Cons will be helpful. Thanks Jimi

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have him go with a bit more gin and a pearl onion instead of an olive, you can convert it to a Gibson instead of a Martini. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For your stated purpose either would do. For me personally the .25-20 would be the more "exciting" cartridge and more in keeping with the rook rifle theme.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A.) I would NOT re-line and chamber in 25-20 W UNTIL I had a good pile of raw brass in stock. EXCELLENT choice in chambering, just calling out potential availability issues.

B.) With a fast (NOT pistol appropo) twist liner, and 210 gr cast .357 bullets, you just might want to look at the .38 spl., shortened up to .38 S&W,...that action does not like really long cartridges, never has.

C.) it's not a "lever action".

D.) for a FIRE STORM of good opinionating, move this post over to the Single shot and BPCR forums.

.......if you're not baffled by brilliance, I guarantee you'll be baffled by BS.

Congrats on having a nice piece of raw material,....just keep in mind what Frank DeHass said,...single shot smithing is not "entry level".

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I would opt for the .25-20. A lot less lead use- 2 or 3 .25 bullets for every .357 bullet. Powder charges probably roughly the same so no difference there. Brass is an issue, but I see .25-20 brass pop up from time to time and if you keep up a concerted effort to look for it you'll eventually have a stash built up. Heck, I shoot cartridges based on the .25-20 Single Shot case which has been discontinued from mainstream sources for about 70 years now. Compared to finding that stuff .25-20WCF brass is a piece of cake. Besides, you can use .32-20 brass and even .218 Bee brass in a pinch which gives you more options in your search.

When a fun paper punching/plinking gun is being considered I always opt for the smallest cartridge, for economy if for no other reason. Plus, how many foot pounds of energy are needed to put holes in paper at 50 yds.? If small game is in the offing too, then the .25 is more reasonable IMO but if there's slightest chance that I might take it for a walk in the deer woods then I would up the ante to .357 Magnum and shoot .38s in it during the Spring and Summer.

I have a small Martini action patiently waiting for its turn on the project bench, but I'm leaning toward .22 Hornet for it. Cast bullet plinking with a Hornet is cheaper than shooting .22 rimfires these days. I already have a dandy Hornet but you can't have too many Hornets IMO!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/09/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have several friends with the little 310 cadets. They are a blast to shoot and believe it or not quite easy to hit gongs at 300 yds with. I would re ore and chamber to a 357 mag and load to match the original 310 loading. But with a 357 you can get groggy and try it on deer if you want to.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
On the other hand, if the present bore is good then give the original .310 a try. On a whim, I fired mine with some original cartridges and was surprised at how well it shot (I know, never shoot the donor). Shortened .32-20 brass fills the bill (you might need to thin the rims a tad), and proper diameter heeled lead bullets are available from Buffalo Arms (cast from currently available molds). 5gr. Unique works well, bullets are thumb seated in un-sized cases making for a day's plinking with just a handful of brass, and performance is about equal to a .32-20. I upped the ante with some 10gr. 4227/115gr. cast bullet loads and she cracked like a .38 Special and hit the empty beer cans with regularity. (Pretty scientific experiment, huh?!) Point being, these old rifles can be a lot of fun as-is. (But mine's still gonna become a Hornet.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
400 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.