Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is truly amazing. How this old tired yardstick of a cartridge can inspire so much interest. I think it's testimony to the very reason the 06 has endured this long. It never gets old. I wish I had some way of tallying up all the threads on all the forums on the net,that revolve around the old 06. I'm obviously pro 30/06. Always have been. So,I'm a little biased. But,I can understand other folks not being in the cult.

I have a 7 Rem mag presently,that I am very fond of. It will do anything the Otter6 will. Just as well. Maybe a shade better with bullets under 150gr. Light .30 caliber lead core bullets get a little chubby and inefficient. On the other hand the old 06 can make good use of a 200gr bullet. It doesn't even need to be a monolithic. The 30/06 is what I call cup and core compatible. All that being said. Even though my T3 7 mag is a one hole wonder.Lots of cool factor. And just damn near perfect. If I had to choose between it and a comparable 30/06 as my go-to,one gun for all. Adios. I'll take the 06 purely out of some odd attraction to it. It just begs to be used. I can't explain it,but I believe it's the same voo doo that keeps us coming back to it. Even if for no other reason than to expound on it's virtues and it's faults.

To answer the OP. When won't it do? When in your own mind it isn't the best rifle for the job. You gotta have confidence in your rig. If you don't, you need a different rig.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Bob I am just being tongue in cheek. I live in Ohio And don't get to use rifles for deer thus my 243 is fine for groundhogs. You have forgotten more about this subject than I know. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
It works everywhere except here and has been skullphucked up one side and down the other.

Not sure where you're getting that from. (Perhaps I haven't been paying attention. smile ) I certainly don't know anyone who uses one (or several) who disses it. (It actually works pretty well for beluga hunting too, for younger hunters or those who can't take the recoil of many rapid shots of 375…) I understand it doesn't have the aura of some of the newer, smaller, faster, flatter ones, but she ain't a spring chicken anymore and I'd venture she's holding up better than most of the new ones will at the same age.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lol when you absolutely need a low ballistic coefficient bullet along with heavy recoil and inefficient use of gunpowder...30/06

I always like to read raw genius from someone who hasn't a clue what they are talking about. Of all the assorted crap I've read here you moved up to a tie for 1st Place. Congrats....... Winner Winner Chicken Dinner........

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 30-06 will hardly kill most ground squirrels unless you hit them right. Most guys around here have learned to shoot shoulders just to anchor them. Kind of a worthless cartridge. Not good for much of anything, unless you need to clear a few japs off your bayonet. It's good for that.

Last edited by Higbean; 04/22/15.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Oh cmon old doe it was a joke lighten up and laugh. I was parodying the guys here who can't say Anything nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol when you absolutely need a low ballistic coefficient bullet along with heavy recoil and inefficient use of gunpowder...30/06

That had me laffin. So true and yet so not.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know where the .30-06 is in sales these days? Still #1?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
In light of the “Is 30-06 too much gun” thread, thought I’d start a new thread titled differently to ask the question that popped up in that thread. Has anyone ever run into a situation where a larger caliber, faster bullet, or some other combination was required to kill an animal – that a properly loaded 30-06 couldn’t handle?

A look at ballistics indicates the 30-06 can cover a bunch of ground. Think a 270 Win or 7 RM ‘smokes’ the 06? Run the ballistics on a 30 cal, 150 gr Nos AB scooting at 3000 ft/sec – 31 inches low at 500. A 7mm, 160 Nos AB at 3000 ft/sec is 28 inches low at 500 (a 7mm 150 at 3100 is 27” low). A bit less wind drift with the 160 AB but not a huge difference (30-06 19”, 270 18”, 7RM 15”).

A 180 Partition at 2800 from an 06 drops 35” at 500 using a max rise of 3.2” above horizontal. A similarly sighted 300 WM (3.2” max Y) at 3050, typical 300 WM velocities, using the same bullet drops 28” at 500 and drifts 1.5” less at 500. Using an arbitrary 250 yard zero the differences are less (300 WM drops 6” less than 06).

Bullet velocity and associated inherent velocity/performance envelopes (~ 2000 ft/sec) are sufficient for the 06 out past 550 yards (750 yards if you consider a bullet velocity envelope of 1800 ft/sec).

So the question really is: when will a properly loaded 30-06 not work and we need something flatter shooting or harder hitting to hit/kill our intended game?

Excellent title/thread idea.. I agree.. grin. Been using one since I was 12 and it's always worked great..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
The 30-06 will hardly kill most ground squirrels unless you hit them right. Most guys around here have learned to shoot shoulders just to anchor them. Kind of a worthless cartridge. Not good for much of anything, unless you need to clear a few japs off your bayonet. It's good for that.

They are barely big enough for lizards. Shoot under them and let the rock shrapnel kill them wink. They work great on jack rabbits too... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I realize you were kidding just would like to point out that a 168 BT with a .490 BC going close to 3000fps don't exactly drop like a rock.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob I am just being tongue in cheek. I live in Ohio And don't get to use rifles for deer thus my 243 is fine for groundhogs. You have forgotten more about this subject than I know. smile

mjb I kind of doubt that....was just curious was all. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It worked well for this

[Linked Image]

And it's no slouch for longer range either

[Linked Image]

What else needs to be said ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Always like looking at your pics Phil. Thanks for posting them. If you don't mind me asking. What bullet did you whack the bear with?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And Phil provides meaningful data - again. He showed uses that I've never considered, and likely will never do.

This thread is kind of a realization, at least for me, that the 30-06 covers almost all the ground almost all big game sportsman will ever need. As I explained in the previous 30-06 thread, I despised the 30-06 for years. I humbly submit I was wrong.

I've also come to the realization, painful as it is, that as I age (51 at the moment) I'm becoming less enamored with recoil. I've had magnum eyebrow twice shooting magnums at weird angles on game. I'm asking why should I put up with that?

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, a guy must have confidence in his rifle. I have extreme confidence in my rifles and associated abilities within my self imposed restrictions. I've had zero faith in the 30-06 for most of my life for some reason. I'm seeing it in a much different light as I work through tolerating recoil to arrive at an end point. I don't need a 300 RUM to shot elk at 400 yards or less. I don't need a 257 Weatherby to shoot an antelope at 400 yards. I've always shot flatter shooting cartridges to give me the maximum amount of error when shooting at big game - what if animal X is 450 yards instead of 400? Truth of the matter all bullets starting dropping like rocks after 400 yards. You need significant skill and equipment to be able to shoot much past that distance. I have neither the inclination or desire to do that, so limit my shots to 400 yards. The other truism is that once 'big game' enters the equation, we all run up against the recoil equation. We could all shoot 30-378 or 50 BMG rifles to maximize the effective point blank range but who the hell wants to A. carry one of these, B. shoot it from a straight up or half quartering angle. Then there's the whole bullet integrity issue. To truly maximize a flat shooting rifle capacity, we need high BC's bullets. Truth be known most high BC bullets tend toward the frangible end of the spectrum because of the velocity envelope necessary to perform as advertised at distance.

I see how a laser shooter is a good idea for 'smaller big game' because the recoil investiment for the performance gain is fairly minimal making these type rifles very capable in the hands of those who take the time to learn to shoot at distance. My issue is very simple - reading the wind. I read an article lately that stated that a really good long distance shooter can read the wind within 3 mph. They used a ballistic program to show the differences in drift of a high BC bullet at 500-1000 yards for wind readings +/- 3mph. I left the article confirming that I'll never be shooting at long distance. Remember - this is a good wind reader. What about the average or not so good wind readers?

This factoid was proven to me when I was in my 20's. I stated in the other 30-06 thread that I've never shot at an animal past 350 yards or so. Not true - that should have said big game animal. We had a place to shoot woodchucks. It sat along a gravel road and we knew the landowners well. We used to bring a bench and sand bags set up in the back of a pick-up to shoot at them from point blank to way out there, I'm guessing 1/2 mile or so. In those days I normally used a 243 shooting various 70-100 grain bullets or my 280 Rem shooting 140-150 grain bullets. Shooting from a dead steady bench, the only reason to miss was mis-estimation of range or wind. After a while we figured the hold and distances so the major variable was wind. We soon learned that lightweight, fast 243 bullets would drift in a breeze enough to miss woodchucks at less than 300 yards unless you compensated for the wind. Very unscientific but did prove to me the impacts of wind. I've carried those lessons with me for the past 30 years. I know it is possible to shoot effectively in the wind but have also seen the wind change directions, swirl, and a bunch of other weirdness to know it can't be read accurately 100% of the time.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread. The first firearm I ever owned was a 30-06. I still have that one. Its a great all around, get er done kind of cartridge. Now if I could just talk myself into not needing all of my other rifles things would sure be simple.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by 458Win
It worked well for this

[Linked Image]

And it's no slouch for longer range either

[Linked Image]

What else needs to be said ?

That's cooler than the other side of the pillow!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So the question really is: when will a properly loaded 30-06 not work and we need something flatter shooting or harder hitting to hit/kill our intended game?

I keep looking but haven't come up with anything yet. Give me a couple more decades and I'll get back to you.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 30-06 is so good that pretty much all cartridge development since 1906, at least as far as hunting rounds go, has been superfluous and nothing more than mental masturbation for the rifle loonies.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/23/15.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bought my '06 in 1974. Have acquired a few more rifles in different calibers and chamberings since then. All could leave (if necessary) except Grandpa's 99 .250-3000 and the '06.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll also say that with regard to military rounds, the .308 was a mistake. It's whole reason for being was commonality between machine gun rounds and rifle rounds with the understanding that riflemen needed a shorter round so they could carry more ammo. Well, the .308 is a little shorter but not much lighter and regardless, it was only the rifleman's round for less than a decade.

What we should have today are 5.56 rifles and 30-06 machine guns and sniper rifles with today's powder it would be a significant upgrade in performance.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,539
Posts18,453,081
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.